Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2012, 10:26 AM

111 posts, read 236,528 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Can you please help with this - I just moved here and live in Suffern, NY. I work from home so I am looking for ways to get to Manhattan mainly on the weekend but sometimes also weekdays in the evening.

So far, I have been using the train from Suffern - Bergen line to go to Seacaucus and switch a train to arrive at NY Penn Station.

I see that I can also go all the way on the train to Hoboken and take the PATH tarin to NYC.

Would you know if there are any buses that I could use besides the Coach USA ones where I have to buy at least 10 trips and use them within 20 days etc. Are there any one use only buses that would go to Manhattan?

I have a car so I can drive somewhere to get on the bus/train/whatever.

Thank you so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 11:46 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
You can take the TappanZEExpress bus, I believe, from Suffern, but you can also take it from the Park and Ride lot by Palisades Mall to Tarrytown and take Metro-North to Manhattan.

http://www.co.rockland.ny.us/PublicT...X_Complete.pdf

The TappanZEExpress does not run on Sunday, but if you are not averse to driving, you could always drive to The Bronx on the weekend, park at/near Spuyten Duyvil train station in Riverdale, and then take Metro-North to Grand Central, paying the current city fare rate, $3.75 as of this writing.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-03-2012, 12:02 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,254,145 times
Hudson crossings can be tough at a lot of points during the day and evening. Secaucus Junction has a parking lot, so you might consider driving there (45 minutes w/o traffic).

Old 02-03-2012, 01:02 PM

Hey bmwguydc, thank you so much for the info - now this may be a dumb question for someone who is from this area BUT - looking at the Tappan Zee express bus - do I get on it in Suffern, it takes me to Nyack - and then what? Tarrytown is across the river...do I get on another bus in Nyack that goes to Tarrytown? I am sorry if this is a totally retarded question but I am still learning these things. Thank you!

Old 02-03-2012, 08:35 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,126,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etincelle77 View Post
Hey bmwguydc, thank you so much for the info - now this may be a dumb question for someone who is from this area BUT - looking at the Tappan Zee express bus - do I get on it in Suffern, it takes me to Nyack - and then what? Tarrytown is across the river...do I get on another bus in Nyack that goes to Tarrytown? I am sorry if this is a totally retarded question but I am still learning these things. Thank you!
It's just how the schedule is laid out. All buses go over the Tappan Zee Bridge (I mean, why call it the Tappan Zee Express if it doesn't cross the Tappan Zee? )

Here's the schedule: http://www.co.rockland.ny.us/PublicT...X_Complete.pdf

So for instance the first bus of the morning leaves South Nyack at 5:15AM, and then it arrives in Tarrytown at 5:27AM. Then later on, you have some super-express trips that bypass Tarrytown and go right to White Plains (say, the trip that leaves South Nyack at 6:57AM and arrives in White Plains at 7:24AM)

Old 02-03-2012, 08:41 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
Not a silly question at all, because while all of the buses do cross the Hudson River, not all buses go to Tarrytown, as there are express routes to White Plains, which I believe are denoted by Coach USA on the schedule. Other than those buses, you would not need to change in Nyack to a bus that would get you to the Metro-North station at Tarrytown. You could theoretically also take MNRR from White Plains, but even on an express, the time getting to White Plains would put you at Grand Central later than you would be there on a later bus that connected through Tarrytown. Also, I think that's mostly a rush hour consideration, so during off-peak hours, you should not need to worry about changing buses.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-08-2012, 09:55 AM

THANK YOU so much guys!!!! All of this helps a lot!!! (And I also got a GPS for my car...finally...never had to use one before) :-))

Old 01-22-2015, 01:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,436 times
hello,
Is there there any buses that run from suffern to the palisades mall on sundays

Old 01-22-2015, 06:19 AM

664 posts, read 806,950 times
Can't you just call Mr. Big and have him send up his black Lincoln Town Car?

Old 01-22-2015, 07:53 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
I think you are on the right track with NJ Transit trains into Hoboken and then PATH into Manhattan. The PATH train gives you several choices depending on what you want to do in Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City