Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 04:47 PM

353 posts, read 1,008,212 times

Advertisements

From a monetary perspective, would anybody know if there are car rental options such as Alamo Insiders or Hertz Gold Plus which are advantageous to join? I live in the Kips Bay/Gramercy area and ruled out keeping a car here since I don't think it's worth $300-400 for monthly parking if I wouldn't use it frequently. It also looks like Zip car and Hertz on Demand do not save money compared to traditional car rental companies if you plan to keep for an entire weekend. Thanks in advance for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 05:06 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,520,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrisle View Post
From a monetary perspective, would anybody know if there are car rental options such as Alamo Insiders or Hertz Gold Plus which are advantageous to join? I live in the Kips Bay/Gramercy area and ruled out keeping a car here since I don't think it's worth $300-400 for monthly parking if I wouldn't use it frequently. It also looks like Zip car and Hertz on Demand do not save money compared to traditional car rental companies if you plan to keep for an entire weekend. Thanks in advance for any input.
I don't know anything about their membership programs, but I rented a car (Kia Soul) from the Enterprise in the Upper West Side (83rd & Amsterdam) a few months ago for $30 a day, which is hard to beat.

I didn't book it in advance, just walked in and told them I needed a car. Maybe I got lucky...

Old 10-03-2011, 05:12 PM

5,524 posts, read 8,786,063 times
Enterprise is little cheaper than the rest. But when I need a car for the weekend I find ridculously low prices at Laguardia through Hotwire. And I can take the M60 there and back so its usually no big deal. Use the same car rental company enough and you can join whatevertheir frequent driver club is. (I ended up with National). Renting a car in Manhattan is just too much unless you have money to burn.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:13 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,586,194 times
I use zipcar for short daily/hourly rentals and really have had a great experience.

For longer rentals I've gotten great deals on priceline.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:47 PM

241 posts, read 592,125 times
I haven't tried Hertz on Demand or Zipcar yet. I did join Hertz on Demand. One thing I realize is that renting a car in Manhattan is actually pretty pricey. Then, since you don't have a regular car, which mean you don't have insurance. When you add that on and gas, it adds up. I rented a car for a day in Jersey City, and when it's all added up, it was well over $100, and that was cheaper than Manhattan rates. So, don't forget the extras in your calculations.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:30 AM

Depending where you are going, you can avoid renting in NYC as well. For example, my husband and I recently went to Maine, so we actually first went to Boston, and rented the car there to drive the rest of the way. It was a good $100 less per day than the local NYC options. We named our own price on Priceline and it was accepted. Renting in Boston was also cheaper with taxes overall, even if the prices had been more comparable.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:30 AM

25,382 posts, read 37,122,674 times
I compared Enterprise rates in both Manhattan and Jersey City and came to the conclusion it's well worth the extra agita to jump on the PATH train to Newport for a rental. The longer the rental the wiser the trip.

ZIP car is just too expensive for multi-day rentals.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:22 PM

25 posts, read 45,632 times
Hey, check out ZipCar. They are pretty good and the insurance is included!!!

Old 10-05-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidinyc81 View Post
Hey, check out ZipCar. They are pretty good and the insurance is included!!!
They do. And for other rentals, your credit card usually covers your insurance as well when you rent a car. So don't be tricked into buying extra coverage that is duplicative. For example, look at Mastercard's benefit: Credit and Debit Card Protection | Credit and Debit Card Benefits | MasterCard® (Travel Protection).

Old 10-06-2011, 07:11 AM

25,382 posts, read 37,122,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
They do. And for other rentals, your credit card usually covers your insurance as well when you rent a car. So don't be tricked into buying extra coverage that is duplicative. For example, look at Mastercard's benefit: Credit and Debit Card Protection | Credit and Debit Card Benefits | MasterCard® (Travel Protection).

mc,
I know that Collision Insurance comes with all good credit cards. But I have often worried about LIABILITY?
What happens if you run over a pregant woman wheeling a baby carriage and the family sues for $10 million?

For people with OTHER cars, I assume that their policy would cover this, but what about us carless people?

Does "No-Fault" eliminate that fear?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City