Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2011, 09:51 AM

111 posts, read 237,679 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am moving to Suffern, NY and I am curious about what the best ways are to get to downtown Manhattan. I looked up some buses and trains but it seems like there is a 100 ways to get around. Which is great, I just don't know what's best.

I know that day and time matter - so for example if I wanted to get to downtown Manhattan on a Saturday before lunch, what would be the best way?

I am not sure if my question is too vague or stupid but I have not commuted from further out like this before - I've been to NYC but always within the regular subway lines around downtown.

Oh - and I will have a car - so I could drive up to something - I just don't want to drive across the river into Manhattan.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 08:20 PM

3,923 posts, read 9,198,041 times
I'd say to take the bus over to the Port Authority Bus Terminal and then take the subway downtown. Here's the schedule: http://www.coachusa.com/CoachUsaAsse...usSchedule.pdf

Since it's Satruday, there shouldn't much traffic for the bus to get stuck in.

If it was a weekday, I'd say to take the train down to Hoboken and then take the PATH down to the World Trade Center. The train wouldn't get stuck in traffic, and it's a two-seat ride anyway. However, on the weekends, you need to make an extra transfer on the PATH, and the bus has the advantage.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:29 AM

Thank you so much!! That's exactly what I was looking for! :-)

Old 11-25-2011, 07:00 AM

89,382 posts, read 86,331,041 times
If I were you, I would take the train, not the bus, to get to lower Manhattan. You've got a train station in Suffern on a line that cuts right down through Bergen County to Hoboken and then you just hop on PATH to the WTC.

www.njtransit.com

But, as someone pointed out, you should compare the bus and train for your specific times, since weekend traveling is different than weekday. Good luck.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:36 AM

OK, great! Thank you! I did see the railraod station on the map and wondered the same. I grew up in europe so I am always open to all kinds of different ways to get to where you want to go - I knew like 5 ways to go to shcool and home when I lived there. This is exactly what I wanted to hear from people here. THANK YOU!!

Old 11-26-2011, 12:10 PM

3,923 posts, read 9,198,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
If I were you, I would take the train, not the bus, to get to lower Manhattan. You've got a train station in Suffern on a line that cuts right down through Bergen County to Hoboken and then you just hop on PATH to the WTC.

www.njtransit.com

But, as someone pointed out, you should compare the bus and train for your specific times, since weekend traveling is different than weekday. Good luck.
Like I said, the train is better on the weekdays. She's traveling on the weekend.

During the weekends, the Hoboken-World Trade Center line of the PATH doesn't run, so she would have to:
* Take the train from Suffern to Hoboken
* Transfer to the PATH train to Grove Street
* Transfer again to the PATH train to the World Trade Center.

Rather than taking the bus and then taking the subway.

The PATH trains aren't always timed to meet each other, so that could be 10 minutes added to the trip right there. Add in the fact that the NYC subway runs more frequently than the PATH (you have the (2)/(3) trains every few minutes from Times Square to Park Place), and the bus becomes the faster option.

During the week, the bus could get caught in traffic, and the PATH is easier to use. So then it becomes:

* Train from Suffern to Hoboken
* Transfer to the PATH train to the World Trade Center.

Since the PATH has the direct service during the weekdays and runs more frequently as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City