Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 08:11 AM

237 posts, read 330,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Lawyer View Post
All of the power in DC is borrowed from somewhere else. That's the entire point of congressmen and senators. DC's power is granted to them from all the other states. They could not "shut down" anything unless they had unilateral approval, which would never happen. DC in and of itself as a city does not have the power to do whatever it wants.

The real power in America comes from lobbyists, who can be from anywhere, as long as there is enough money. New York governs the world's economy. Banks can go out of business and cripple the entire world in a single swoop. If and when New York wiggles its fingers, Washington DC dances. Most of the politicians in Washington DC have been bought and sold by New York money. Which is why politicians all run to New York City for more fundraising when they're low on funds. New York is the master of the Universe and Washington DC is the b****. Now shut up and dance.

The "power" in DC today is mostly owned by Multi-National Corporations (that have no allegiance to any single nation) and special (read: wealthy) interest, due to the fact that most politicians sell their power to the highest bidder.

But above all this power (corruption) is the power of The US Dollar, which dictates everything in our system and which is largely controlled in New York City and London. The Federal Reserve branch in New York City is the most powerful in this country, but to get a true sense of where the power lies you must look at who owns the Federal Reserve system. Note that it is not only Americans and is pretty much the same banking institutions that created out financial system in 1913 (Rothschild, Rockefeller, JP Morgan, Lehman, Warburg).

New York, New York...

This is, actually, a solid post. Pop quiz, hotshot.

Who controls this system?

It isn't "New York". "lobbyists", yes, but that's frankly, a euphemism.

Answer that question..and you'll know where the TRUE power lies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 08:14 AM

39 posts, read 44,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seansean View Post
This is, actually, a solid post. Pop quiz, hotshot.

Lololol.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:40 AM

19,070 posts, read 14,002,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seansean View Post

The Bushes, the Saudis, the Rothchilds and the Illuminati?

Old 11-28-2014, 08:52 AM

37,237 posts, read 39,519,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Lawyer View Post
All of the power in DC is borrowed from somewhere else. That's the entire point of congressmen and senators. DC's power is granted to them from all the other states. They could not "shut down" anything unless they had unilateral approval, which would never happen. DC in and of itself as a city does not have the power to do whatever it wants.

The real power in America comes from lobbyists, who can be from anywhere, as long as there is enough money. New York governs the world's economy. Banks can go out of business and cripple the entire world in a single swoop. If and when New York wiggles its fingers, Washington DC dances. Most of the politicians in Washington DC have been bought and sold by New York money. Which is why politicians all run to New York City for more fundraising when they're low on funds. New York is the master of the Universe and Washington DC is the b****. Now shut up and dance.

The "power" in DC today is mostly owned by Multi-National Corporations (that have no allegiance to any single nation) and special (read: wealthy) interest, due to the fact that most politicians sell their power to the highest bidder.

But above all this power (corruption) is the power of The US Dollar, which dictates everything in our system and which is largely controlled in New York City and London. The Federal Reserve branch in New York City is the most powerful in this country, but to get a true sense of where the power lies you must look at who owns the Federal Reserve system. Note that it is not only Americans and is pretty much the same banking institutions that created out financial system in 1913 (Rothschild, Rockefeller, JP Morgan, Lehman, Warburg).

New York, New York...
I think the argument that DC's power is borrowed from elsewhere is a solid one, but one that can be applied to virtually any field outside of politics as well. Just as DC is a simple locus for where political power given from elsewhere is used, NYC is a locus for where financial power given from elsewhere is used.

Yea, there really needs to be campaign finance reform though.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:00 AM

474 posts, read 532,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lion. View Post
If New York City is not the #1 city on Earth, what is? Let's not pretend London, a city much less wealthy than NY, doesn't have the same problems with crime and homeless people. Besides, New York City is the safest big city in America.

The local economy is doing tremendously relative to the rest of the U.S. Where have you been?

The lack of affordability lends more credence to my assertion that NY is the world's #1 city.
America isn't the world.
Jeez, just look at a map of Asia and you'll find, among other things:
Tokyo, Seoul, Shanghai, Beijing, Hong Kong, and Singapore.
You really think "capital of the world" is an undisputed title?

Old 11-28-2014, 09:15 AM

237 posts, read 330,300 times
Quote:
Lololol.
No answer then?

Old 11-28-2014, 05:04 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,432,263 times
Lol @ the delusions of grandeur. Some of these NYC homers act like they built the city with their bare hands. They need to stop day-dreaming before they burn themselves on the frialator.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:15 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,849,998 times
Quote:
If New York City is not the #1 city on Earth, what is?
oh, I don't know, Lion; perhaps the answer is: NONE. Maybe the whole damned "ranking" thing is just silly and partisan and the need to make everything a contest and make everything about being #1 (you know, king of the hill, top of the heap).

off topic, I must admit, but I have to wonder about NY's status based on it being the American city it is (and, yes, I realize that NY is global and that it transcends the US, too). My point is: NYC, as America's most prominent city parallels the the fortunes of the nation of which it is very much apart. NYC's true rise to global metropolis in the early decades of the 20th century very much paralleled the rise of America itself.

Others may dispute this, but I realize I have plenty of company who believes America is in decline, especially when looked at in terms of "relative position" to other nations in the world. So, yes, I do question NY's status as the US becomes less important (while still, I understand, very important) in the world.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:45 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,005,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjohnyang View Post
America isn't the world.
Jeez, just look at a map of Asia and you'll find, among other things:
Tokyo, Seoul, Shanghai, Beijing, Hong Kong, and Singapore.
You really think "capital of the world" is an undisputed title?
Beijing and Shanghai are not centers of finance even in Asian. Hong Kong is. Beijing, Tokyo, and Seoul are not places one goes to underwrite stock and bond deals, and certainly not global ones.

That is mainly New York and London.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:48 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,005,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
oh, I don't know, Lion; perhaps the answer is: NONE. Maybe the whole damned "ranking" thing is just silly and partisan and the need to make everything a contest and make everything about being #1 (you know, king of the hill, top of the heap).

off topic, I must admit, but I have to wonder about NY's status based on it being the American city it is (and, yes, I realize that NY is global and that it transcends the US, too). My point is: NYC, as America's most prominent city parallels the the fortunes of the nation of which it is very much apart. NYC's true rise to global metropolis in the early decades of the 20th century very much paralleled the rise of America itself.

Others may dispute this, but I realize I have plenty of company who believes America is in decline, especially when looked at in terms of "relative position" to other nations in the world. So, yes, I do question NY's status as the US becomes less important (while still, I understand, very important) in the world.
The public said Japan was blasting America out of the water in the 80s. And look at Japan now. The average person on the street is usually WRONG!

Please name all these cities that people go to when they need to underwrite major bond or stock deals. It's really mainly London and New York, though Hong Kong is certainly rising. Basically, New York has no major competition outside of those cities. Have you checked the price of real estate NYC? It only does up? Haters have been predicting total collapse in NYC real estate price since the 70s yet over the decades it only goes up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City