Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 11:05 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,032,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
what on earth did i say that would have given any indication I hate NYC? Quite the opposite: I think it is a great city. And, NYW, not because I want it to be, but I do believe that the financial empire we have created in NY and the US is going to crash and crash big time. It is totally unsupportable and unsustainable. And no way could I go into all the reasonings behind my feeling we're on shaky ground; people far smarter than I am have come to the same conclusions about where we are heading.

So, yes, and sorry, NYW, I do think it is coming down, not just for New York, but for the other great cities in America like Boston, Washington, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and my own home town, Chicago (which pays its own price for soaring real estate and the good life for the very select). And you and the other cheerleaders here would be on throughly safe ground if you projected what you said not as "NYC is the greatest city in the world" but on the basis of "this is why I think NYC is the greatest city in the world." It's just an assessment, not a fact, y'know.

Nothing stays constant, NYW. The very factor that finance has grown to such a huge part of the economy in New York (and the nation as a whole) shows how much trouble we are in.

Was there ever a "world's greatest city"? of course not. that only comes with assessments that we make. i make those assessments as well as anyone else, so I, too, can select my own "world's greatest city". For me it would be a city with creative exuberance, an incredible sense of place, a diversity that came not only in ethnicity but in the vast spectrum of income groups, a center of art, culture, finance, and virtually all forms of urban delight. that city, to me, would be NYC, circa 1950s, emerging from depression and war into all its glory. IMHO, never so great a city anywhere, any time. but then, that's just my opinion.

What a shame we think that the attributes of "world's greatest city" come in the form of economics and not all those other factors that are so important, you know, like quality of life issues. Paris, at one point, was considered the greatest city in the world. Yet finance and economics had little to do with what made it so great. Our values and priorities suck.

all that said, NYW, since we all make our own assessments, I see absolutely nothing wrong in your assessment that NYC is the greatest city in the world. You are entitled to your opinion.
Dude, one day the sun is going to go supernova and blow up the solar system. So saying eventually the US is going to decline is like saying the same thing. These things take place is a far off future, and there's no realistic way to give a date when they are going to occur. Most likely everyone live now will have been long dead.

Then again, overall much of Europe has not declined in many centuries. Ditto China and Japan. They were ups and downs but not the permanent decline you desperately hope for American cities. The people who say this kind of stuff are usually people who feel that they are left out life in a modern major US city, so all they feel they can do is hate from the sidelines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 12:39 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,863,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Dude, one day the sun is going to go supernova and blow up the solar system. So saying eventually the US is going to decline is like saying the same thing. These things take place is a far off future, and there's no realistic way to give a date when they are going to occur. Most likely everyone live now will have been long dead.

Then again, overall much of Europe has not declined in many centuries. Ditto China and Japan. They were ups and downs but not the permanent decline you desperately hope for American cities. The people who say this kind of stuff are usually people who feel that they are left out life in a modern major US city, so all they feel they can do is hate from the sidelines.
LOL....where the hate? I'm in a "modern major US city", Chicago, one of the great ones,and I love it. I love America, my nation, greatly, but I am aware of the trouble it is in. honestly, NYW, where on earth you get the idea of hate being factor here is beyond me. my observations about NYC and the US (and Chicago, for that matter) come from places I happen to be very fond of. Indeed, the criticism I have for my nation comes from the fact I love it so much. Are you clueless about how many love-our-country Americans feel pretty much the way that I do with the heavy heart that goes with it? The US isn't "going to decline"; it is declining on virtually every list of quality of life issues. The income inequality in the US, once the bastion of the middle class and the home of the "American dream" is, along with Britain, the most extreme in the developed world. There were enough people protesting in "Occupy New York" to register how great our problems have become. Not that these "sideline folks" would matter to you, I realize.

You'd never realize it, NYW, but the whole global economy, held up by smoke and mirrors and those endless bubbles, is in decline. we're not talking centuries here. our technologies make things happen at warp speed. 7 billion people on a planet heading for 10 billion this century with resource, environmental, and climatic destruction shows our way of life is coming to an end as the concept of endless supply for endless demand blows up on itself. then again, i suspect you don't really think climate change is real or that big of a deal if it is.

I'm sorry....we're not really communicating here and have no way of understanding each other.

Quote:
The people who say this kind of stuff are usually people who feel that they are left out life in a modern major US city, so all they feel they can do is hate from the sidelines.
I don't see pedestals and never would think I'm on one; perhaps that's why I never see sidelines. Meanwhile, this thread is depressing the hell out of me. the hubris and the Ayn Rand sentiments are bit hard to take, so, in the best New Yorkese: Imouttahere.

Last edited by edsg25; 11-29-2014 at 12:50 PM..

Old 11-29-2014, 01:34 PM

27,685 posts, read 28,791,182 times
I'd say that Washington DC + New York City are a knockout 1-2 punch.

Capital of America + Capital of the World right on the east coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City