Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 09:57 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,240,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
as soon as i am able ... moving out of here and finding a much nicer, quieter place
Another ungrateful resident. Why not leave now, & try to make a living elsewhere?
BTW, good luck finding decent bagels & pizza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 10:04 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Probably makes more sense to say that NYC is the disputed capital of the world since there are people disputing it.

Pretty good city though. I like it, though I'm trying to take lengthier breaks elsewhere.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:11 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
Washington DC is really the capital of the world, and the country's most powerful city.
NYC, LA, Paris, Toronto (emerging), Tokyo, and London are all "world capitals"...I don't think there's just one.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:33 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lion. View Post
Center of finance. Of culture. Of hip-hop. Of punk. Of law. Of media.

The Harlem Renaissance. The World Trade Center. The Statue of Liberty. Times Square. The Empire State Building. The Chrysler Building.

The NYSE. The NASDAQ. Wall Street. Silicon Alley.

Madison. Park. Lexington. Fifth. Broadway.

King Kong. Sex And The City. Spider-man. Vanilla Sky. Sleepless in Seattle. Mean Streets. Taxi Driver. Manhattan. King of New York. Serpico. A Bronx Story. The Godfather. Law and Order. Friends. Seinfeld. King of Queens. The Apartment. Sweet Smell Of Success. Mad Men. 30 Rock. The Late Show with David Letterman. The Today Show.

Headquarters of ABC, NBC, Newscorp, CBS, AP, Reuters, Bloomberg, The NY Times, et al!

It is the pinnacle of Western civilization. Imagine the feelings of all those immigrants when they arrived at Ellis Island and looked at those skyscrapers for the first time!

No city since Rome has held this much power and might!

New York! America! The glory of it all!
Are you bored? Try video games or the gym.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:16 AM

237 posts, read 329,881 times
I love NYC..and, as romanticized as NY is in my eyes, to the point that, if this were the Star Wars universe, I'd consider NY to be Coruscant..it's not The #1 city on earth. It's not. there are too many problems, too much crime, too many homeless people, and the local economy is not exactly on fire these days. It COULD be #1..but a whole lot of changes need to happen. Too many to list here, you all know what needs to change. But my #1 thing is affordability. In 1993, I shared a 2BR apt on 72nd and broadway. My own bedroom. $400 a month.

I think that very same apt goes over $3k a month now.

that's no good. People can't live a life paying that kind of rent, except the upper upper income brackets. Until that problem, and all the reflections/symptoms of that problem(affordability) are addressed..NY will only be #1 on "girls" or "Sex and the City".

Old 11-27-2014, 09:25 AM

39 posts, read 44,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seansean View Post
I love NYC..and, as romanticized as NY is in my eyes, to the point that, if this were the Star Wars universe, I'd consider NY to be Coruscant..it's not The #1 city on earth. It's not. there are too many problems, too much crime, too many homeless people, and the local economy is not exactly on fire these days. It COULD be #1..but a whole lot of changes need to happen. Too many to list here, you all know what needs to change. But my #1 thing is affordability. In 1993, I shared a 2BR apt on 72nd and broadway. My own bedroom. $400 a month.

I think that very same apt goes over $3k a month now.

that's no good. People can't live a life paying that kind of rent, except the upper upper income brackets. Until that problem, and all the reflections/symptoms of that problem(affordability) are addressed..NY will only be #1 on "girls" or "Sex and the City".
If New York City is not the #1 city on Earth, what is? Let's not pretend London, a city much less wealthy than NY, doesn't have the same problems with crime and homeless people. Besides, New York City is the safest big city in America.

The local economy is doing tremendously relative to the rest of the U.S. Where have you been?

The lack of affordability lends more credence to my assertion that NY is the world's #1 city.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:26 AM

39 posts, read 44,150 times
People complaining about affordability don't have the talent to make it in the world capital. That's okay. We can't all be great at the things that will allow us to live luxuriously!

Old 11-27-2014, 09:30 AM

237 posts, read 329,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lion. View Post
People complaining about affordability don't have the talent to make it in the world capital. That's okay. We can't all be great at the things that will allow us to live luxuriously!
Ah, I get it now..You're delusional

No need for personal attacks, buddy.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:45 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Millions rush to leave NYC everyday to retreat far away from here. Obviously NYC is not where they want to be.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:59 AM

66 posts, read 84,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Millions rush to leave NYC everyday to retreat far away from here. Obviously NYC is not where they want to be.
That's not the point. There are millions of people who would rather live in Lexington, Kentucky and Birmingham, Alabama than live in New York, London, Zurich, Monaco, Paris. But clearly, the latter cities are far more important than Birmingham and Lexington.

It's about the greatest city, in relation to power and economics. Of course city life isn't for everyone, but New York is the capital of the world. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City