Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 09:30 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,758 times

Advertisements

Hold your horses everyone!! I'm not being a "Debbie downer" here. I know some of you (especially people new to NYC) find it inconceivable to put depressing and NYC in the same category, same sentence. However, fact of the matter is that same areas of NYC are just down right depressing. Since its a gloomy day, I decided its a good topic to speak on some lame, uninteresting, boring, miserable parts of NYC.

I feel Wakefield area in the Bronx (especially 241st) wins "Most Miserable NYC" award. Its far away from Manhattan or anything cool for that matter and there's NO, NADA, ZIP, ZILCH redeeming value for being far away from Manhattan (or Brooklyn and Queens for that matter). There's no good eateries, parks, and forget about having any sense of art here. There's not even a sense of community. However, its a ghetto wonderland. Especially during the spring and summer. Prostitutes can be seen as early as 6am while kids are on their way to school, crack heads can be seen walking up and down the strip of 241st White Plains road OR in your apartment building lobby, hallway or stair case doing what they do best. The moment you step out the train station on 241st, you're hounded by low life scum trying to get you taxi service, whom are NOT even licensed and have the audacity to charge you as much as a regular cabbie or more!! Don't be surprised if they speak to a prostitute on the way.

You can also witness a bunch of hood rats and infidels who don't even live in your building loiter in front or i ittill the break of dawn. Fights, gun shots, everything a true "hood" is made out of defines that cesspool. It also borders the crap side of Mount Vernon so that's additional misery. Everyone is cold, unfriendly, and just plain rude.

There's just truly nothing to do in Wakefield at all unless you want to live out in a ghetto, cesspool, wonderland. Sometimes I wish the Cloverfield monster would eradicate that area and hopefully decent people can come back and start over.

What is the lousiest NYC area to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 09:36 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
anywhere that is poor and ghetto is depressing
if you let it get to you. you have to do the best
you can with what you have.

all these run down neighborhoods? please.
where do you begin? east new york, harlem,
brownsville, flatbush, jamaica.
you know what it is.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:37 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
Sounds like someone got violated in Wakefield.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:39 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
I recall Bed-Stuy (Halsey st) from a few years ago being there in the dead of winter later at night. it was very run down, And the dirty ice and snow on the ground made it look worse with homeless camped out under the subway. Very sad. Much of that area is supposedly gentrified a lot in the last few years.

Parkchester I recall being there and it was run down as well. Burned out buildings, roving gangs etc. I never thought i would get through the subway ride unscathed. Train had all sorts of characters, 2 drinking beer right out in the open.

Most cities have run-down, high crime areas that become wastelands, Without getting political here.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:41 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,898 times
People who are against gentrification would consider your description of Wakefield to be what they want all of New York City to resemble. Stores, eateries, nightlife are all "bad" things while prostitutes, drugs and crime add character and charm. You could look at it that way.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:55 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
anywhere that is poor and ghetto is depressing
if you let it get to you. you have to do the best
you can with what you have.

all these run down neighborhoods? please.
where do you begin? east new york, harlem,
brownsville, flatbush, jamaica.
you know what it is.
All those areas besides Brownsville either have improved are become gentrified. I don't like Flatbush but even Flatbush has much more character than Wakefield. At least Prospect Park (amazing park) is not too far away. Back to Brownsville, I lived there as a child and YES its absolutely miserable. On par or maybe whose than Wakefield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Sounds like someone got violated in Wakefield.
As a "White boy" in Wakefield, you bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I recall Bed-Stuy (Halsey st) from a few years ago being there in the dead of winter later at night. it was very run down, And the dirty ice and snow on the ground made it look worse with homeless camped out under the subway. Very sad. Much of that area is supposedly gentrified a lot in the last few years.

Parkchester I recall being there and it was run down as well. Burned out buildings, roving gangs etc. I never thought i would get through the subway ride unscathed. Train had all sorts of characters, 2 drinking beer right out in the open.

Most cities have run-down, high crime areas that become wastelands, Without getting political here.
Parkchester is much different now. Lots of Indians, Pakistanis and Bangladeshi's. Lots of South East Asian stores as well. Still some parts are sketchy but its come a very long way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
People who are against gentrification would consider your description of Wakefield to be what they want all of New York City to resemble. Stores, eateries, nightlife are all "bad" things while prostitutes, drugs and crime add character and charm. You could look at it that way.
Hahaha!! I could . People who say things like that should relocate to Detroit or St. Louis.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:06 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,537 times
IMO, to be truly as depressing as possible, a place needs all of the following:

-poverty
-crime
-low density
-no social cohesion
-ugly architecture
-not much greenery (project grounds don't count)

Parts of Bushwick fit the bill...I'm not too familiar with really bad areas.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:12 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
well how do you figure the entire
city will gentrify? where do they
do that?

you should move somewhere
where the white folks live, if
you can afford it. if not, o well,
stop complaining and make do.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:32 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
any area where the hasiddic jews live is depressing beyond belief.

blech !!!

Old 01-14-2013, 10:37 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
IMO, to be truly as depressing as possible, a place needs all of the following:

-poverty
-crime
-low density
-no social cohesion
-ugly architecture
-not much greenery (project grounds don't count)

Parts of Bushwick fit the bill...I'm not too familiar with really bad areas.

You mean most of Bushwick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City