Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 11:55 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,044 times

Advertisements

Although I’ve never actually been there, driving by Co-op City is the most depressing part of the city for me. It’s the ultimate manifestation of 20th century, Robert Moses-style social engineering. “Towers in the park” make my skin crawl. Stuy-Town is bad, but at least it’s in the city. Co-op City is in the middle of nowhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 12:14 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,091,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
although i’ve never actually been there, driving by co-op city is the most depressing part of the city for me. It’s the ultimate manifestation of 20th century, robert moses-style social engineering. “towers in the park” make my skin crawl. Stuy-town is bad, but at least it’s in the city. Co-op city is in the middle of nowhere.
+1

Old 01-14-2013, 12:27 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,913,814 times
Bushwick, Brownsville, Ozone Park [outside of Tudor Village and Centerville], and Woodhaven.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:47 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,811,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Hold your horses everyone!! I'm not being a "Debbie downer" here. I know some of you (especially people new to NYC) find it inconceivable to put depressing and NYC in the same category, same sentence. However, fact of the matter is that same areas of NYC are just down right depressing. Since its a gloomy day, I decided its a good topic to speak on some lame, uninteresting, boring, miserable parts of NYC.

I feel Wakefield area in the Bronx (especially 241st) wins "Most Miserable NYC" award. Its far away from Manhattan or anything cool for that matter and there's NO, NADA, ZIP, ZILCH redeeming value for being far away from Manhattan (or Brooklyn and Queens for that matter). There's no good eateries, parks, and forget about having any sense of art here. There's not even a sense of community. However, its a ghetto wonderland. Especially during the spring and summer. Prostitutes can be seen as early as 6am while kids are on their way to school, crack heads can be seen walking up and down the strip of 241st White Plains road OR in your apartment building lobby, hallway or stair case doing what they do best. The moment you step out the train station on 241st, you're hounded by low life scum trying to get you taxi service, whom are NOT even licensed and have the audacity to charge you as much as a regular cabbie or more!! Don't be surprised if they speak to a prostitute on the way.

You can also witness a bunch of hood rats and infidels who don't even live in your building loiter in front or i ittill the break of dawn. Fights, gun shots, everything a true "hood" is made out of defines that cesspool. It also borders the crap side of Mount Vernon so that's additional misery. Everyone is cold, unfriendly, and just plain rude.
There's just truly nothing to do in Wakefield at all unless you want to live out in a ghetto, cesspool, wonderland. Sometimes I wish the Cloverfield monster would eradicate that area and hopefully decent people can come back and start over.

What is the lousiest NYC area to you?
Anywhere you would happen live I would think.

Why?

Well, ahhh, your own words are too perfect.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:04 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,373,929 times
I would not say Wakefield qualifies for most depressing..but it sure is a long and depressing commute by public transportation from Manhattan! I think the nabes in the running should include East New York, Brownsville, University Heights/Morris Heights/Tremont (they all kinda blend together as one giant tenement rotting neighborhood), the housing projects all around coney island...completely isolated, desolate and destitute.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:13 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,202 times
just because it's depressing outside
does not mean everyone's home is
depressing inside.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:16 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,807,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Bushwick, Brownsville, Ozone Park [outside of Tudor Village and Centerville], and Woodhaven.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:21 PM

134 posts, read 276,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The Financial District on a Saturday afternoon is kinda depressing. Dead except for tourists. Though narrow streets combined with skyscrapers are neat to look at.

Any of the corporate plaza type places as well.

I agree.

Also in Long Island City right by the Citi building on a weekend. What a ghost town

Old 01-14-2013, 04:41 PM

199 posts, read 1,106,330 times
I would say the industrial area of Jamaica near Liberty ave

Old 01-14-2013, 05:41 PM

402 posts, read 811,421 times
Speaking of Co op city, I was just researching and If is a private co-op how do they get away with Income limits and maximums?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City