Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2007, 02:43 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,680,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
there's 2 much public housing in bushwick for it to be completely gentrified.....if anything it will take 10+ years.
1) There's only ONE housing project....Bushwick/Hylan Houses, and that is on the North side of Flushing Avenue, which is considered Williamsburg's Eastern District.

2) 10 years = Tomorrow! (you'll see very quickly!)

Last edited by scatman; 10-23-2007 at 03:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 03:23 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,802,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
The part of Sunset away from the train station, say above 6th avenue is a lot nicer. Mostly Chinese immigrants.
That is a much better area. Sunset Park has some shady parts but the Chinese part seemed okay to me minus being run down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
1) There's only ONE housing project....Bushwick/Hylan Houses, and that is on the North side of Flushing Avenue, which is considered Williamsburg's Eastern District.

2) 10 years = Tomorrow! (you'll see very quickly!)
There are two NYCHA PJ's in Bushwick, i'll give it to you since they are connected but there is a hell of a lot of section 8 an other low income programs in effect in that neighborhood.

Also considering that Bushwick is now as expensive as the average NYC area, and much more undesireable, how much more gentrification will we see in the future. The prices got too high to fast.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
There are two NYCHA PJ's in Bushwick, i'll give it to you since they are connected but there is a hell of a lot of section 8 an other low income programs in effect in that neighborhood.
All of those are in the Williamsburg side. Bushwick/Hylan is along Flushing, on the noth side. Two other PJ's in the Eastern District are Borinquen/Williamsburg Houses and Cooper.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:58 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,556,240 times
Hope Gardens is located in Bushwick. It's the only true housing project located within the neighborhood of Bushwick. Cooper Park is in Greenpoint. The Eastern District area is the eastern-most point of Williamsburg and western-most point of Bushwick.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:15 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,802,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
Hope Gardens is located in Bushwick. It's the only true housing project located within the neighborhood of Bushwick. Cooper Park is in Greenpoint. The Eastern District area is the eastern-most point of Williamsburg and western-most point of Bushwick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
All of those are in the Williamsburg side. Bushwick/Hylan is along Flushing, on the noth side. Two other PJ's in the Eastern District are Borinquen/Williamsburg Houses and Cooper.
The PJ's in the immidiate area are:

Boriquen Plaza I PJ's
Boriquen Plaza II PJ's
Hylan PJ's
Bushwick PJ's

These are north of Flushing Ave east of the BQE though so I guess you would call that East Williamsburg near Bushwick still a ****ty area.

Cooper PJ's are way out there to the east.

The PJ's officially in Bushwick are:

Hope Gardens PJ's
Bushwick II (Groups A & C) PJ's
Bushwick II (Groups B & D) PJ's
Bushwick II CDA (Group E) PJ's
Palmetto Gardens PJ's

So yes it seems there are a lot of NYCHA complexes in the area. However the big thing is section 8 and other low income housing. A big low income population. In an area that is already as expensive as more decent areas.

Had to correct myself on the mistake stating there were only 2 in the area.

Last edited by Hustla718; 10-23-2007 at 05:45 PM..

Old 10-23-2007, 05:21 PM

Palmetto and the small tenement buildings that are managed by Bushwick/Hylan, I completely forgot about those 2.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:05 AM

34,134 posts, read 47,356,745 times
what about all those 2 story projects buildings on central ave? i dont know what they're called but i know they're NYCHA. and i think we need to actually define the boundaries of bushwick here cause the actual area that gentrification is taking place is very small IMO. for those that really know brooklyn, there are certain parts of bushwick that will never see the light of day. anybody every got off at wilson ave on the L? thats real bushwick they call it the darkside over there. if you see gentrification over there let me know. the neighborhood has too much subsidized housing for gentrification to take place over night. places like park slope, cobble/boerum hill, l.i.c., and williamsburg didnt have all these section 8 programs in **** in their buildings. thats why it was easy for landlords to get the tenants out and raise it to market value. hell, aside from the projects i dont even think fort greene has a lot of apartments with programs. i think thats the deciding factor.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
what about all those 2 story projects buildings on central ave? i dont know what they're called but i know they're NYCHA.
The ones near the PSA 3 precient?

Old 10-24-2007, 10:05 AM

34,134 posts, read 47,356,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
The ones near the PSA 3 precient?
i dunno if they're near a precinct cause i've only been over there at night but i know they stretch for a couple blocks on central avenue.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:36 AM

Wycoff Ave would probably be the main gentro thoroughfare, since the L is right underneath it.

With regard to Park Slope, I have old neighbors who told me about all of the Italian, Irish, Puerto Rican and Black gangs that rolled around in the 60s, 70s and into the 80s. The Slope blew up quick mainly because of its location to Manhattan, as opposed to "getting out the Section 8 element". By the way, there's still some Section 8/rent stabilized in Park Slope, although not as much as before. Believe me when I say it!

Bushwick is 10 minutes to Manhattan. Recognize!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City