Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 08:45 AM

448 posts, read 1,587,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
Here is the crux of the matter in a nutshell--don't be alarmed, quite a few whites are moving in--the coast is clear!

Racism in NYC is alive and well. It is truly ironic that the newcomers who are not terrified to move into a non-white area (and frankly can't afford anything else) help pave the way for rampant gentrification that will in turn price out all but the wealthiest (and mostly whitest) citizens--many of whom were not born here and did not know the city when it was at its worst.

I think there has to be some middle ground here. The city is building some mixed income housing, which is a step in the right direction. But if you don't want to be "driven out" of NYC, stake your claim before it is too late. Buy a cheap coop in the Bronx or other areas so you have protection from rising rents in soon to be gentrifed areas. Don't be so terrified of others who are different than you. Fight back--don't abandon your home town so quickly.
I dont live in NYC anymore and I am looking forward to moving back one day. With that said being a hispanic man married to a white woman, let me know when ENY become gentrified....People would not abandon their home town if the government didnt abandon us. How is it that a thriving place like NYC has so many people living in poverty. Anyways I am not going to rant, Bushwick has potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 08:49 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,602,469 times
Agreed! Take it from a real estate pro like jjbradley. The transformations are happening so quickly that if you wait til it becomes totally yupped out it will be too late for any typical middle class person to afford. The city is investing in these areas as never before, which also enhances quality of life immensely.

The time to buy is now, if you can afford to. If you wait even a year, it may be too late.Of course, there are no guarantees in life, but there are informed choices that can be made with good odds on your side. Nothing ventured, nothing gained...if you love this city, invest in it if you can, while you can--rather than running scared.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflores View Post
I dont live in NYC anymore and I am looking forward to moving back one day. With that said being a hispanic man married to a white woman, let me know when ENY become gentrified....People would not abandon their home town if the government didnt abandon us. How is it that a thriving place like NYC has so many people living in poverty. Anyways I am not going to rant, Bushwick has potential.
Two words...the Bronx. Good time to come back home.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:35 PM

12 posts, read 62,456 times
I'm looking for places--I would look in Bushwick if I knew the areas that are safe and the areas to avoid.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:17 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,403 times
Quote:
Here is the crux of the matter in a nutshell--don't be alarmed, quite a few whites are moving in--the coast is clear!

Racism in NYC is alive and well. It is truly ironic that the newcomers who are not terrified to move into a non-white area (and frankly can't afford anything else) help pave the way for rampant gentrification that will in turn price out all but the wealthiest (and mostly whitest) citizens--many of whom were not born here and did not know the city when it was at its worst.
Yes, racism is alive and well... and it comes in all colors. It was only a couple of years ago when a group of Hispanic men beat a white man to death with a baseball bat on Knickerbocker Ave because they thought he was Polish.

This man, who was a Russian immigrant, was staying overnight at a nearby construction site was helping build some of this new housing when he ventured into the wrong street. He layed in a coma for few days before he succumbed to his injuries. That is a sad irony.

A Death In Bushwick Is Answered By Silence - New York Times

Old 10-04-2007, 11:25 PM

Here's a caveat from the article:

"One of the reasons for the silence is that few agree that the attack was ethnically motivated. In interviews last week, several prominent Russian residents said they saw the attack as an unfortunate isolated incident carried out by a particular group of troublemakers, and not as a signal of some broader tensions between Russian immigrants and Hispanics in Brooklyn."

In this city, racism and distrust of anyone unlike oneself can go both ways. But my personal experience in the Bronx is very different from what others might imagine it to be. Most people here are more friendly and polite than Manhattanites. I do not feel in imminent danger here, though I don't do foolish things like hang out on deserted corners at night.

The incident above is from two years ago, and it is unclear exactly what motivated it. Many NY'ers of all colors dislike immigrants as a general rule.

If I wanted to, I could make a convincing case that the whole country is scary and dangerous by focusing on the high profile murder cases in even the most sleepy hamlets. The local news has daily reports of crime, including murder, in every borough, Manhattan included. I still maintain that NYC is a very bigoted place, so the shrinking middle class have themselves to blame in part for their own dilemma.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:42 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamcat16 View Post
I just moved to Brooklyn 2 months ago from out of state, so when deciding what area to live in, I had no Idea. On craigslist, bushwick was everywhere, so here I am. The majority of the area that I live in is black and hispanic, and Im a young white girl that feels pretty safe. All of the people that I talk to cant believe that I live here, saying Bushwick is so bad. I dont get it. Yeah, its not as nice as Park Slope, but my apartment is huge, and half the price of an apartment in Park Slope. I was just wondering, what areas are people talking about in Bushwick? I live close to Kochizko stop(yeah I know its spelled wrong), is that considered a bad area? So if anyone knows the area, please respond.

Thank you!
2 months?

Bushwick is a bad neighborhood. That's just what it is. A lot of poverty and the problems associated with that.

Not a neighborhood I would recommend with all it's problems.

As for what blocks to avoid, the whole neighborhood has really rough blocks scattered around (that is what makes it a bad neighborhood). However you might want to especially avoid the blocks by the El.

As for gentrification. Bushwick is one of the neighborhoods that could change and maybe be a "decent" place to live in 20 years due to it's location near the city core. Unfortunately (well fortuate for the current longtime residents) that "fire" might die out very soon. This wave of gentrification. The city is now very expensive and the vast majority of people with money do not want to live in areas with problems like Bushwick.

Last edited by Hustla718; 10-05-2007 at 01:48 AM..

Old 10-05-2007, 01:39 AM

I am going to try very hard not to respond to any more of Hustla's postings....Must...not...get...sucked...back...in. ...

Old 10-05-2007, 09:19 AM

gentrification is great, someone move some Jewish people and white people to ENY....that place can use a face lift.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Two words...the Bronx. Good time to come back home.
why would i want to live in the bronx, there is nothing about the bronx that i find appealing other than the Yankees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City