Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 10:48 AM

45 posts, read 189,270 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Brooklyn 2 months ago from out of state, so when deciding what area to live in, I had no Idea. On craigslist, bushwick was everywhere, so here I am. The majority of the area that I live in is black and hispanic, and Im a young white girl that feels pretty safe. All of the people that I talk to cant believe that I live here, saying Bushwick is so bad. I dont get it. Yeah, its not as nice as Park Slope, but my apartment is huge, and half the price of an apartment in Park Slope. I was just wondering, what areas are people talking about in Bushwick? I live close to Kochizko stop(yeah I know its spelled wrong), is that considered a bad area? So if anyone knows the area, please respond.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 12:59 PM

448 posts, read 1,588,303 times
I have a friend who lives near the Mrytle Ave stop. You are talking about the J train right?

The area isnt the greatest in the world, but I wouldnt be alarm as I have been told quite a few white people are moving into Bushwick. I grew up in ENY so any place in brooklyn other than Brownsville and Parts of Bed Stuy are better.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:37 PM

10,069 posts, read 14,449,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamcat16 View Post
I just moved to Brooklyn 2 months ago from out of state, so when deciding what area to live in, I had no Idea. On craigslist, bushwick was everywhere, so here I am. The majority of the area that I live in is black and hispanic, and Im a young white girl that feels pretty safe. All of the people that I talk to cant believe that I live here, saying Bushwick is so bad. I dont get it. Yeah, its not as nice as Park Slope, but my apartment is huge, and half the price of an apartment in Park Slope. I was just wondering, what areas are people talking about in Bushwick? I live close to Kochizko stop(yeah I know its spelled wrong), is that considered a bad area? So if anyone knows the area, please respond.

Thank you!
Bushwick in the 1970s, fell hard and fell fast. It was a thriving and somewhat upper middle class to wealthy area in the 1800s and was a thriving middle class area for working people up until the 1960s or a bit later. The New York City blackout of 1977 caused a ton of rioting, looting, and fires to break out in and around large sections of Bushwick--the Linden St area was one of the hardest hit. Apparently there were half to almost whole blocks of desolation from fires. It looked like a bomb went off in some areas. Anyway, that desolation resulted in the 1980s and 1990s Bushwick being labeled "New York City's poorest neighborhood." It was also the "rat capital" of the city during that time period.
Bring on 2007, and bring on a dramatic change. Bushwick has rapidly become one of Brooklyn's most desirable 'hoods for artists, students, creative types, working people, and those looking to live in one of Brooklyn's most dynamically changed 'hoods. In 2005, the words "condo" and "Bushwick" would have never been used in the same sentence, unless of course, you were saying Bushwick would never have condos. How wrong they were. Bushwick is on the top of the list for "affordable condos" and "desirable communities" for people moving to the city and those being priced out of Williamsburg, Dumbo, Red Hook, or Park Slope.
Anyway, there are still "sketchy" areas of Bushwick--and those would include areas that hug the JMZ, for the most part. Portions hugging the "L train" line are gentrifying FAST and people desire those areas the most. South Bushwick and West Bushwick--hugging Bed-Stuy--are by far the worst parts of the 'hood. The closer you get to Cypress Avenue on the east, the higher the value and the typically "safer" it becomes.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:40 PM

Oh yeah, anyone interested in Bushwick, Brooklyn, should check out this link:

UP FROM FLAMES

Great summary of its history.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:17 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,604,202 times
To the OP--it's the same old story...people who don't realize how fast the city is gentrifying also don't realize that yesterday's slum is tomorrow's hot new area. It doesn't literally happen overnight, but I have the same positive experience living in the Bronx, which will probably develop at a much slower and more limited pace.

Also, people who are phobic about non-white people won't move in until it's "safe." Why? IMO a lot of them are timid sheep who only follow the crowd instead of moving ahead of it. Bigotry is alive and well here--and it's keeping our segregated ghettos (rich/poor, white/black/other) alive and thriving.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:22 PM

842 posts, read 4,309,547 times
Default North Brooklyn highest homicide rate

Northern Brooklyn had the largest increase in homicides this year. Some were disputes between people who knew each other but some were innocent bystanders caught in the crossfire. Read that in the Daily News today

Old 10-04-2007, 03:22 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,674,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXGEAR View Post
Northern Brooklyn had the largest increase in homicides this year. Some were disputes between people who knew each other but some were innocent bystanders caught in the crossfire. Read that in the Daily News today
I'm from Northern Bed-Stuy. I won't deny that Brooklyn North still has issues, but I'm sure not denying the changes, either! People better stake their claim, now, cause in 10-15 years, Bushwick and Bed Stuy will be locked down!

Old 10-04-2007, 07:05 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,624,303 times
That neighborhood is changing so much, in 20 years it will probably be another expensive Williamsburg.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:30 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,604,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflores View Post
I have a friend who lives near the Mrytle Ave stop. You are talking about the J train right?

The area isnt the greatest in the world, but I wouldnt be alarm as I have been told quite a few white people are moving into Bushwick. I grew up in ENY so any place in brooklyn other than Brownsville and Parts of Bed Stuy are better.
Here is the crux of the matter in a nutshell--don't be alarmed, quite a few whites are moving in--the coast is clear!

Racism in NYC is alive and well. It is truly ironic that the newcomers who are not terrified to move into a non-white area (and frankly can't afford anything else) help pave the way for rampant gentrification that will in turn price out all but the wealthiest (and mostly whitest) citizens--many of whom were not born here and did not know the city when it was at its worst.

I think there has to be some middle ground here. The city is building some mixed income housing, which is a step in the right direction. But if you don't want to be "driven out" of NYC, stake your claim before it is too late. Buy a cheap coop in the Bronx or other areas so you have protection from rising rents in soon to be gentrifed areas. Don't be so terrified of others who are different than you. Fight back--don't abandon your home town so quickly.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
That neighborhood is changing so much, in 20 years it will probably be another expensive Williamsburg.
It's actually alarming what's happening so quickly. Within 5 years, if the economy continues to chug along decently, and people keep moving to NYC--which is expected--Bushwick will become a destination neighborhood, such as Williamsburg and Dumbo are now.
If anyone out there reading this has not been to Bushwick in 10-20 years, they should visit. They would be absolutely shocked at the change. What was a drug dealing crack street 5 years ago is now a construction zone full of new rental and condo buildings loaded with "hipsters" and mostly suburban 20-somethings. The Maria Hernandez park is still sketchy, but within 2 years all of the buildings ringing the park will be renovated and expensive. BUY NOW if you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City