Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2007, 10:48 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,804,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
didnt anybody hear about the kid who poked his head out the window and got killed by a stray bullet? thats bushwick ladies and gentlemen. cooper street and bway
He was killed. Here is the little blurb that somehow made the paper.

Quote:
Brooklyn Teen Critical After Being Struck By Stray Bullet
October 09, 2007

A Brooklyn teen is in critical condition after sticking his head out of a window and being struck by a stray bullet early this morning.

Police say it happened around 5 a.m. at 13 Cooper Street in Bushwick.

The 16-year-old boy had stuck his head out a second floor window when he was hit. Police Commissioner Ray Kelly says a dispute had been going on in the street, which may have resulted in a shot being fired.

The teen's five-year-old brother found him badly injured on the floor of their home. No one has been arrested in the shooting.
Quote:
Brooklyn Teen Struck By Stray Bullet Dies From Injuries
October 12, 2007

A Brooklyn teen died Wednesday, one day after being hit by a stray bullet while looking out his apartment window, police confirmed today.

Tavin Alves, 16, died at Kings County Hospital, after police say he was hit by a bullet while leaning out a second floor window at his home on Cooper Street in Bushwick early Tuesday morning.

He was found by his five-year-old brother.

A $2,000 reward is being offered in the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 07:03 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,606,681 times
First time y'all have heard of a stray bullet hitting an innocent bystander? This is NYC, ladies and gents. Watch yer back.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:43 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,626,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
First time y'all have heard of a stray bullet hitting an innocent bystander? This is NYC, ladies and gents. Watch yer back.
I know this one incident happens and to some people, the whole neighborhood is a crime-ridden hellhole. There are hundreds of thousands of more good people in these neighborhoods than those bad apples. Time to appreciate living among the huge amount of good apples if you want to have a good experience in the big Apple.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:45 AM

803 posts, read 2,972,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
I know this one incident happens and to some people, the whole neighborhood is a crime-ridden hellhole. There are hundreds of thousands of more good people in these neighborhoods than those bad apples. Time to appreciate living among the huge amount of good apples if you want to have a good experience in the big Apple.
Unfortunately, Bushwick happens to BE a "crime-ridden hellhole".... the facts are easy to locate on the web; just Google "Crime Statistics: Bushwick, Brooklyn" and you'll see all you ever needed to see about it.

As I stated before, anyone moving TO NYC and wanting a decent neighborhood, close to everything, easy train transportation and low (comparatively speaking) rents should first consider places like Astoria, Queens and Long Island City, Queens, before looking anywhere else.

I'll stand by that statement.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:52 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,626,580 times
^ I know there is crime in this area, but I don't think people living there are terrorize on a daily basis with crime. Not most of the people. There seems to be interest in the area. That can be a positive change for the look of the neighborhood. I hope there will be way more mix developments for people of all incomes. I do think that Bushwick has potential. It does look ugly in alot of areas and crime may be a problem for some people, especially teenagers ofcourse. Just give it time. It wil become an extesion of Williamdburg, especially the areas closer to Williamsburg. I don't know about the area further east. That can take along time to become more attractive for some buyers.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:03 AM

803 posts, read 2,972,787 times
Quote:
^ I know there is crime in this area, but I don't think people living there are terrorize on a daily basis with crime. Not most of the people. There seems to be interest in the area. That can be a positive change for the look of the neighborhood. I hope there will be way more mix developments for people of all incomes. I do think that Bushwick has potential. It does look ugly in alot of areas and crime may be a problem for some people, especially teenagers ofcourse. Just give it time. It wil become an extesion of Williamdburg, especially the areas closer to Williamsburg. I don't know about the area further east. That can take along time to become more attractive for some buyers.
Agreed, 100%....

The only answers to beat the blight affecting Bushwick, and all ghettoes, in fact, is the following prescription:

* NEW job opportunities that pay a "living wage" in the immediate area.

* Tax Breaks for companies providing those jobs...

* Gradually turning the "Section 8" housing into market-rate housing, allowing those who live there now right of first refusal and opportunities to buy, rather than rent.

* Increased neighborhood policing to reduce gang activity.

Chicago recently started placing videocams high up in the phone poles, recording activity in known gang areas, and the results have been a 70% DROP in violent crime in these areas, in only a years' time!--NYC should consider tactics such as these, because only when the thugs KNOW there's nowhere to hide, will they look for legal ways to earn livings... and then, if there are viable jobs FOR them to get into, you'll see the area thrive and fulfill its potential.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:19 AM

I think the videocam thing is fairly ubiqituous in NYC? But yes, the more the "merrier."

Old 10-22-2007, 11:25 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,804,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
Unfortunately violent crime is a harsh reality in Bushwick.

Quote:
Violent crime is reality in Bushwick. A very common occurance. It's not just one person who has been victimized. That was just a very harsh way to go that happened to make the paper.

Quote:
For most people. Getting mugged just once sucks. In Bushwick, the risk is always there and very real. It sucks to have to look over your shoulder twice just to live cheap. You get what you pay for.

Bushwick is at risk of gentrification, but with the housing market high as it is I don't know. Few people are willing to pay the over the top rents in Bushwick as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by By~Tor View Post
Agreed, 100%....

The only answers to beat the blight affecting Bushwick, and all ghettoes, in fact, is the following prescription:

* NEW job opportunities that pay a "living wage" in the immediate area.

* Tax Breaks for companies providing those jobs...

* Gradually turning the "Section 8" housing into market-rate housing, allowing those who live there now right of first refusal and opportunities to buy, rather than rent.

* Increased neighborhood policing to reduce gang activity.

Chicago recently started placing videocams high up in the phone poles, recording activity in known gang areas, and the results have been a 70% DROP in violent crime in these areas, in only a years' time!--NYC should consider tactics such as these, because only when the thugs KNOW there's nowhere to hide, will they look for legal ways to earn livings... and then, if there are viable jobs FOR them to get into, you'll see the area thrive and fulfill its potential.
Unfortunately. New jobs in Bushwick are minimum wage.

Turning section 8 housing into market rate (kicking out section 8 renters) is just simple gentrification.

As for the police. With the current shortage, which will be the new trend with mass retirements, better job opportunities and a fleeing middle class, Bushwick got the best it's gonna get with police coverage right now. Chicago has the same problems now with shortage, only not as extreme.

As for the cameras. It's political crap. Nothing replaces a footpost. Nothing. Wear a mask and guess what, they can't find out who you are. Even the quality isn't that great. Humans watch those cameras, humans don't always pay attention. And by the time a sector arrives, it's to late. Lets see that perp pull that **** with a cop on the block. He won't, he'll do it around the corner.

There are NYPD cameras in Bushwick anyway.

Not trying to get at you but this is unfortunate.

Last edited by Keeper; 10-24-2007 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: removed flamming comment

Old 10-23-2007, 12:41 AM

1 posts, read 5,958 times
I was leaving a friend's apartment across from C-town the other night when a group of guys surrounded me and tried to pin me up against a wall. Fortunately, some of my friends passed by and the guys backed off. Another friend of mine was not so lucky. While walking back to his apartment (also in Bushwick), a group of kids beat him in the head with a Razor scooter for no reason.
It's not that Bushwick is the worst place in the world or that its residents are bad people. It's just that a lot of the gang and drug activity that goes on in Bushwick is largely ignored by the police. Also, I don't know how positive a word "gentrification" really is. The gentrification many of you speak of means the displacement of working-class families. Landlords realize they can jack up the rents for hipsters and all of a sudden elderly people and families can no longer afford their apartments. If you happen to be the reason for the displacement of a long-time Bushwick resident, you might as well have a target on your back. People are angry and many of them are rightfully so.
There are plenty of neighborhoods in Brooklyn with rental prices comparable to those in Bushwick. Try South Brooklyn - Sunset Park, Kensingon, Flatbush, Fiske Terrace and Ditmas Park are all in the same price range as Bushwick but don't come with quite as much baggage.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:02 AM

In NYC, gangs of all ethnicities roamed the streets back in the day. It is nothing new, but now the ante has been upped.

I agree with your post. As I've said before, if I were in their shoes, I'd be mad as hell. I'm already mad as hell.

But NYC has always been a place where young folks come to experience the greatest city in the world. They are looking for their shot. But yes, doing it at the expense of the poor is one of the harsh realities of post-WW II NYC and american life. It's not their fault, but they have zero sympathy, and neither do many middle class residents. The poor are an inconvenient disease to be rousted at will.

IMO, things have never been more dog eat dog in this country. It's a ruthless world we live in--winner take all. But it's been this way since "Western civilization" began. Look at the British empire, the Roman Empire, our own heritage in NYC.

The fewer resouces, the more desperate people will become, and the less empathy they will have for others. The more blaming the victim there will be. The city helped create this mess, but now the tide has turned. More well off immigrants and poor ones as well are thriving here--not all. But the more indigenous masses are mostly doomed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City