Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 03:27 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,658,854 times

Advertisements

Seek out the high crime rate area and family unfriendly neighborhood, settle right in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 03:34 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,272,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pibble82 View Post
I am moving to the area in August and have been hitting a brick wall because of my dogs. I was told by my friends here that having them might mean my options would be limited and I should expect to pay more, but the fact they are pits seems to be an issue even at places that allow pets.

Any advice? And of the boroughs and New Jersey border towns are any more "pit friendly" than others?
I don't live in your area but am a pit bull owner so I do sympathize with you. Unfortunately they get such a bad reputation and it is so far from the truth; it is the insane owners sometimes who find it attractive to make these little dogs appear to be vicious when in truth they are not. The only thing you can do is tell the potential Landlord that you would like to bring the dogs to meet them prior to the landlord making a decision. If your dogs are friendly, it should help. I think unless you offer a "meet and greet" with the dogs with anyone who you want to rent from, you will have a tough time. We own our home and keep our little girl fenced in in her huge side yard and she is happy to do that and ride in the car from time to time. She has become a huge "hit" around our town. When I go to Dunkin for coffee, the kids who work there come running to the car window to see "Alice"..same at CVS and at any other drive thru I may go to.

Good luck...introduce the "kids" around and let people get to know how loving they really are! Good luck

Old 05-31-2012, 08:26 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,688,869 times
Quote:
I am moving to the area in August and have been hitting a brick wall because of my dogs. I was told by my friends here that having them might mean my options would be limited and I should expect to pay more, but the fact they are pits seems to be an issue even at places that allow pets.

Any advice? And of the boroughs and New Jersey border towns are any more "pit friendly" than others?
Are you DMX?

Just kidding!

Old 06-01-2012, 06:17 AM

25,424 posts, read 37,189,609 times
Quote:

Try East Orange.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:24 AM

6 posts, read 19,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookersnook View Post
I have a German Shepherd. Pit has a worse reputation but my dog is twice the size and garners more attention from people. I live in Upper West side for awhile and had no problems. It was a very dog friendly neighborhood. I live in Forest Hills which is anti dog. I think you are going to have a hard time no matter what. I ended up getting my dog trained as a service dog so I couldnt be denied apartments.
How did you do that?

Old 06-01-2012, 06:27 AM

6 posts, read 19,336 times
Quote:
It will most likely be three. We are trying to sell the younger male but have had difficulty finding a buyer who will leave him intact ie not neuter him.
There are more than enough pit pulls in this world. The shelters are full of pits and pit mixes. It's heart breaking. Why would you be so against having him neutered? As long as the new owner loves and cares for the dog, who cares if he can reproduce? I saw this as someone that absolutely adores his pit.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:56 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,147,948 times
4 dogs is a death sentence to renting around here. 1 dog that's small often brings fees, 4 dogs especially pitbulls would probably get you a landlord laughing in your face. They are bigger dogs so they could destroy more. Dogs means noise and barking and running around. The pet hair makes it hard to keep clean so they have to worry about stains and such along with the fact that future tenants may have animal allergies. Then you have to deal with the possiblity of the dogs being aggressive because of their breed. They attack someone and then the landlord could be in trouble.

There is just too many risks and annoyances with allowing dogs in an apartment. You would have to buy a house or maybe get rid of all but one dog and search for a place a little more farther out.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:45 PM

7 posts, read 7,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blatantninja View Post
There are more than enough pit pulls in this world. The shelters are full of pits and pit mixes. It's heart breaking. Why would you be so against having him neutered? As long as the new owner loves and cares for the dog, who cares if he can reproduce? I saw this as someone that absolutely adores his pit.
Ruthless, like his parents, is a descendant of the legendary COLBY'S PINCHER. It would be a waste to sell him to someone who would let a dog with such a pedigree be neutered, or otherwise prevent him from passing on his legacy.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:57 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,182,624 times
Quote:
Ruthless, like his parents, is a descendant of the legendary COLBY'S PINCHER. It would be a waste to sell him to someone who would let a dog with such a pedigree be neutered, or otherwise prevent him from passing on his legacy.
I don't understand why finding a buyer who wants to allow him to reproduce would be so hard, given his outstanding pedigree. There must be someone out there who would want a dog whose ancestors include "the greatest fighting dog that ever lived." Maybe you haven't looked in the right places.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:04 PM

7 posts, read 7,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I don't understand why finding a buyer who wants to allow him to reproduce would be so hard, given his outstanding pedigree. There must be someone out there who would want a dog whose ancestors include "the greatest fighting dog that ever lived." Maybe you haven't looked in the right places.
It is harder than it seems. Many people like the IDEA of owning a fearless, domineering dog like Ruthless. But they don't have what it takes to do it in REALITY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City