Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 03:17 PM

349 posts, read 781,665 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. Searching this forum can be a PITA sometimes at least for me. I'm trying to put together a list of safe neighborhoods in the outer boroughs. I'm thinking of moving out of JC. Don't worry about budget, schools, amenities, proximity to Manhattan or any of that stuff for now. I just want to have a consolidated list of safe neighborhoods so I can get on Craig's List and "go to town" looking for apts. My main need is safety. Once I have specific place names I can do further research myself. I pretty much know the areas that are ridiculously expensive anyways. The list I have so far is below. As you can see it's severely lacking which is why I need help filling it out. Any suggestions for additions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW - My definition of "safe" is a place where I am less likely to get mugged, jumped, or what have you. It doesn't have to look pretty or be trendy.

Brooklyn
Williamsburg
Park Slope
Carroll Gardens

Queens
Astoria
Long Island City (some parts)
Sunnyside

Bronx
Riverdale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 05:02 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Add in Bronx : Pelham Parkway,Woodlawn,Bedford Park,Van Cortlandt Village,Parkchester,Morris Park,Pelham Gardens,Pelham Bay,Country Club,Throg's Neck and City Island.

Last edited by bluedog2; 02-05-2011 at 06:20 PM..

Old 02-05-2011, 08:57 PM

334 posts, read 1,102,823 times
In Queens:
I'd say the safest are Douglaston, Floral Park, Bellerose, Bayside, Little Neck, Glen Oaks, Whitestone, Fresh Meadows, Forest Hills, Kew Gardens, Rego Park
Also safe are Maspeth, Glendale, Middle Village and I think Jackson Heights but I'm not sure about all the areas in these.

Last edited by gk90; 02-05-2011 at 09:06 PM..

Old 02-05-2011, 09:21 PM

19 posts, read 52,926 times
My Queens adds:
Forest Hills
Jackson Heights
Hunters Point (LIC)

Old 02-05-2011, 09:33 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,233,118 times
Everywhere in Queens except Jamaica (on a narrow definition of "Jamaica"). I mean, Corona isn't pretty, but it's not dangerous.

Everywhere in Brooklyn south or west of Flatbush Ave*, as well as Prospect Heights, Fort Greene and Clinton Hill. Also Williamsburg and Greenpoint.

Throgs Neck, Pelham Gardens, Co-op City, Woodlawn, Riverdale, City Island and Country Club in the Bronx. Maybe others; I don't know the Bronx so well.

*Brooklyn Heights, Downtown Brooklyn, Boerum Hill, Cobble Hill, Carroll Gardens, Park Slope, Gowanus, Red Hook (but avoid the area near the projects), Windsor Terrace, Greenwood Heights, Sunset Park, Kensington, Parkville, Ditmas Park, Prospect Park South, Midwood, Boro Park, Bay Ridge, Fort Hamilton, Marine Park, Dyker Heights, Gravesend, Bensonhurst, Bath Beach, Sheepshead Bay, Gerritsen Beach, Manhattan Beach, Brighton Beach (and, actually, probably avoid Coney Island, narrowly defined, although it would go in this list on my original qualification). Also, Flatbush, but avoid East Flatbush (the dividing line is Flatbush Ave); Flatbush overlaps with Ditmas Park and Prospect Park South.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:39 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagwagon113 View Post
Hey guys. Searching this forum can be a PITA sometimes at least for me. I'm trying to put together a list of safe neighborhoods in the outer boroughs. I'm thinking of moving out of JC. Don't worry about budget, schools, amenities, proximity to Manhattan or any of that stuff for now. I just want to have a consolidated list of safe neighborhoods so I can get on Craig's List and "go to town" looking for apts. My main need is safety. Once I have specific place names I can do further research myself. I pretty much know the areas that are ridiculously expensive anyways. The list I have so far is below. As you can see it's severely lacking which is why I need help filling it out. Any suggestions for additions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW - My definition of "safe" is a place where I am less likely to get mugged, jumped, or what have you. It doesn't have to look pretty or be trendy.

Brooklyn
Williamsburg
Park Slope
Carroll Gardens

Queens
Astoria
Long Island City (some parts)
Sunnyside

Bronx
Riverdale
Whats wrong with our search function? Why is it a PITA for you? Is there something about the feature that needs to be improved?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-06-2011, 08:44 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,342,073 times
Add to Queens the western half of the Rockaways(Belle Harbor, Neponsit, anything west of Beach 116th station).

Old 02-06-2011, 08:51 AM

650 posts, read 2,518,030 times
Most of the south and western Brooklyn, including Bay Ridge, Bensonhurst, Gravesend, Sheepshead Bay, Midwood, Dyker Heights for examples.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:25 AM

349 posts, read 781,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Whats wrong with our search function? Why is it a PITA for you? Is there something about the feature that needs to be improved?
It's just whenever I search I don't get many helpful results. For example if I search on "safe neighborhoods in queens" I'll get results back that mentioned the words "in" or "queens". I think maybe I need to put the whole sentence in quotation marks. I'll try that next time and see what kind of results I get.

To everyone else: thanks for the replies. I suppose a better question would have been where to stay away from as the list may have been shorter.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:29 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
A better and more simple question would be to ask which areas to avoid that are unsafe. The posters on this thread have been very kind listing out 30+ neighborhoods in a borough that are safe. The question was not well thought-out in my opinion as the majority of NYC neighborhoods are quite safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City