Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 05:25 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,679,050 times

Advertisements

New York is much, much more than Manhattan. There are 4 other boroughs out there, with great neighborhoods. Whether it's Arthur Avenue in the Bronx, Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn or Flushing Queens, there are great neighborhoods with great food, culture and the like. By visiting the outer boroughs, one will get to know what New York is really like, and will support neighborhood economies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 01:44 PM

177 posts, read 416,610 times
So true!

Old 09-19-2010, 02:03 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,642,752 times
I absolutely agree but of course you're going to get the other posters who will believe otherwise and downplay the other boroughs. BUT VISIT THE OUTER BOROUGHS TOURIST! Especially you baseball fans, visit Yankee (Bronx) and Citibank Stadium (Queens). Instead of visiting Manhattans Central Park Zoo, visit the better, prettier and much bigger Bronx Zoo and Botanical Garden. Visit Coney Island in Brooklyn (though its kind of blah now, sorry), visit Queens the most ethnically and diverse out of all the 5 boroughs. There's plenty to see and many other great restaurants outside Manhattan.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:11 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,918,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Visit Coney Island in Brooklyn (though its kind of blah now, sorry)
Is there any chance that Coney Island will ever be restored to what it was like in the early 1900's? If I remember correctly, Walt Disney copied much of the old Luna park for Disneyland.

EDIT

Found this.... http://www.angelfire.com/ca6/schlottablubbik/

Old 09-19-2010, 05:23 PM

102 posts, read 167,078 times
Right on the money Scatman! Have visited NYC twice with my wife and loved being away from Manhattan. Great walking through Prospect Park and then down to Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights and into Dumbo. Had a terrific free foot tour of the Bronx by a former resident (an internet friend hook-up) where we explored hidden gems like the Paradise Theatre (really worth a peek inside; just speak nicely to one of the blokes on the door) and Arthur Avenue where you will see Latino men expertly hand-rolling cigars, old Italian-speaking guys playing Italian card games and butchers beckoning you to come inside and inspect their spectacular cuts of meat.

We loved the borough life so much that we are planning on living in Brooklyn for 6 months next year. Can't wait to begin our explorations with bike rides to Coney Isdland, the free ferry to Ikea in Red Hook and the new Brooklyn Bridge Park to watch the littlies play as we will no doubt be missing our own grandkids.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:38 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,064,899 times
Maybe one of the reasons why they don't go to the outer boroughs is for fear of getting lost? Manhattan for the most part is easy to navigate and most tourists,especially the foreign ones stay the hotels in the city.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:48 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,096,875 times
I think tourist feel they would get lost messing around with brooklyn and the bronx aswell. They look at manhattan on the map funny and thats a grid system

But tourist definently need to leave manhattan for certain things. For instance someone mentioned the central park zoo. I used to work there and so many many people who left severly dissappointed. The central park zoo sucks. Coming from out the country or out the northeast they didnt know that the biggest metropolitan zoo in the united states was just a train ride away

Brooklyn has the brooklyn museum, queens has the mets,bx has the yanks and the ny botanical garden. These are not simply ny only-city only style attractions these are world-class venues

Old 09-19-2010, 08:10 PM

218 posts, read 721,269 times
Getting lost is half the fun! In my travels I have had a lot of good experiences that started from me getting lost somewhere.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:28 PM

241 posts, read 733,053 times
I so agree with this. We are actually hosting one of our family members from Europe and we have ventured four borroughs (did not attempt Staten Island). She has seen the North Fork, South Fork, Shelter Island and other places on the island. She is going home seeing beyond the tourists traps!

Old 09-19-2010, 09:48 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,772,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
I absolutely agree but of course you're going to get the other posters who will believe otherwise and downplay the other boroughs. BUT VISIT THE OUTER BOROUGHS TOURIST! Especially you baseball fans, visit Yankee (Bronx) and Citibank Stadium (Queens). Instead of visiting Manhattans Central Park Zoo, visit the better, prettier and much bigger Bronx Zoo and Botanical Garden. Visit Coney Island in Brooklyn (though its kind of blah now, sorry), visit Queens the most ethnically and diverse out of all the 5 boroughs. There's plenty to see and many other great restaurants outside Manhattan.

I agree, my new venture is the Bronx. It has many hidden gems but you do have to search them. My favorites are still Brooklyn and Queens. I can't get over the fact that Smith st. is now considered hip and cool. I would take Van Cortlandt, Forest or Prospect over Central anyday. However, I still think Staten Island sucks. It seems like the place where the worse of the city and suburbs clashed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City