Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 02:51 PM

14 posts, read 32,988 times
This is one of my biggest regrets after I got back from visiting NYC. Although I visited a little bit of Brooklyn, I didn't see any of Queens, the Bronx or even visit Williamsburg in Brooklyn itself. Also want to visit some of the places on the LIRR as I've heard good things about them. I know that there's loads more to NYC as a broader area, defo gonna check it out next time I go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 09:20 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,772,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
I'll just say this. . .
If tourist only visit/stay in Manhattan (And think it's nothing more then that)

They didn't explore NYC. Simple as that. NYC is 5 Boroughs---Period.
Manhattan is just a slice of the whole pie. It won't fill you up.

It'll give you a taste, but it won't satisfy your hunger.

I agree, every time I travel outside NYC the only thing I usually do in the city center is visit their museums and historical landmarks. I'm more interested in wandering through the "hoods" and supporting businesses there, mainly the mom and pop stores. My favorite city outside of NY is Toronto. It's "NY lite." I prefer the gay village, Riverdale, Cabbagetown, Greektown and the east end over walking on Younge street. Most downtowns are department stores, chain restaurants and tourist. If you've seen one department store, you've seen them all. Howver, when I was in London I did visit Harrods.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:19 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,062,805 times
I always wanted to mention throughout the 4 outer boroughs the federal government has park reserves which are maintained patroled and protected by the federal government and not by the city of NY. Not far from Verrazano bridge in staten island there is a fort where rare birds nest. Also in queens by jamaica bay birds and other protected wildlife live. In pelhman parkway there is a protected reserve by the federal government where rare plant life live and is protected. If you tourist dont wanna see iron and concrete and dont wanna see how artificial and how central park is so out of touch with nature these days try these outer borough federal parks which Ive mentioned.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:42 PM

24 posts, read 90,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
New York is much, much more than Manhattan. There are 4 other boroughs out there, with great neighborhoods. Whether it's Arthur Avenue in the Bronx, Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn or Flushing Queens, there are great neighborhoods with great food, culture and the like. By visiting the outer boroughs, one will get to know what New York is really like, and will support neighborhood economies.
Ha ha thats very true but seriously though i google mapped Arthur's Avenue and it was a ghetto with no shops or bars or restaurants just garages,projects and some sort of down town looking school playground. You shouldn't mislead people seriously why would a tourist want to see arthurs avenue unless he wanted to get robbed or worst.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:07 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,092,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmo View Post
Ha ha thats very true but seriously though i google mapped Arthur's Avenue and it was a ghetto with no shops or bars or restaurants just garages,projects and some sort of down town looking school playground. You shouldn't mislead people seriously why would a tourist want to see arthurs avenue unless he wanted to get robbed or worst.
You must have googled the wrong part of Arthur Avenue. It's a very long street.Little Italy is centered around Arthur Ave and 187th st.Little Itlay is block after block of bars,restaurants,pasticceria's,espresso bars,Italian bakeries,cheese shops,pasta stores,etc. There are no garages or projects around.Sort of the opposite of what you imply.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Avenue,_Bronx

http://www.foodistanyc.com/2010/09/foodista-takes-arthur-avenue-get-ready.html (broken link)

Picasa Web Albums - Philip Hall

Google Image Result for http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2008/02/05/alg_rli.jpg

Last edited by bluedog2; 12-09-2010 at 04:18 PM..

Old 12-14-2010, 05:28 PM

185 posts, read 648,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Hahaha silly billy. I remember 15 years ago after 96th street all the faces were black or latino on the 6 train. 10 years ago after 116th street all the faces where black and latino., 5 years ago 125th street and after all the faces ere black and latino and now after 138th street and 3rd ave most faces are black and latino. Not all faces are black or latino on the trains going to the bronx. It used to be but not anymore. Go to 138 and 3rd ave and see the high proportians of whites waiting for trains during all hours of the day and whites coming off. Parkchester station is just as divverse or even more diverse then main street flusing queens. Take the d train to norwood in the bronx and you are hit with dominicans albanians ricans long standing irish, and arabs. The 1 train is barely in the bronx and its goes to riverdale a mostly white niegborhood unless you assume the whites in riverdale are puertorican of caucasian descent. The 4 train 167 and up towards fordham road is heavly dominican. any way I'm not sure tourist are into diversity of nyc. Most tourist when they think about nyc its either they know about the jews, blacks and harlem and hip hop. Puerto ricans, italians for their food and gangsters and the }rish for there parade. Diversity in queens is regularly ignored by tourist. The only part of queens where I see tourist are in astoria because of hipsters and transplants.
Yep, I speak only of the 1 (and A) which go to my nabe, but plenty of white people above 96th, in Morningside, harlem, hudson heights, kingsbridge and riverdale. so much so that you wouldn't think twice about them being on the train.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:58 PM

20 posts, read 40,871 times
I say, the long trip to Main St. Flushing is worth it, but I had one heck of a time trying to get there. It wasn't exactly by choice, either. And that place isn't setup for tourists. I felt totally overwhelmed and was only lucky to run into someone else from my interview group who knew the area well.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:18 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,679,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmo View Post
Try Arthur Avenue just south of Fordham road.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:04 AM

9 posts, read 7,995 times
Agreed! There's so much more to NY than Times Square! That's my pitch to anyone visiting NY. Yes, there's a lot to see in Manhattan, but NY being the cultural melting pot that it is, it's best to experience that in the outer boroughs. It's true that many tourists are nervous about venturing out of the grid system of Manhattan so I suggest arranging a tour in neighborhoods. That way you'll get to experience what you want to see with someone who's there everyday. Excursions

Old 06-16-2014, 05:28 AM

43,706 posts, read 44,473,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I don't think you really read my post carefully. I said that there is no reason for tourist to go to Queens. Queens is for the New Yorker who is rediscovering their City. The New Yorker who wants to experience the diverse nature of NY will travel to Queens, not an out of town tourist.
I disagree with this comment. NYC has 5 parts/boroughs. While it is true that Manhattan has the most famous tourist attractions and it should be the focus point for the tourists. That doesn't mean that there are no other parts of the city for an average tourist to visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orks View Post
I would have thought most tourists do see all 5 boroughs. JFK is in Queens so you have to drive through Queens in a cab to get to your Manhattan hotel, a walk across Brooklyn Bridge and there's Brooklyn done, catch the Staten Island Ferry, spend 10 minutes in the ferry terminal so you can tick off Staten Island, then catch a subway out to 161st St to see a Yankees game and you've see The Bronx!
Most taxis take highways and people don't see much of Queens if they go from JFK to Manhattan.

A hidden gem in Queens is the Forest Hills Gardens Square (next to the Forest Hills LIRR train station) which looks like one has stepped into a small medieval village in Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City