Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 12:17 PM

105 posts, read 323,004 times

Advertisements

BTW _ North Brooklyn crime is up about 7% over last year. South Brooklyn crime is about flat. The uptick is certainly a result of bad economy (which affects communities with the lowest incomes first i.e., North Brooklyn) and budget cuts to police deptartments. It is cause for concern, but not hysteria. And it certainly doesn't warrant exagerated statements like, "Williamsburg ...is no longer considered that great an area." That is a gross generalization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 06:13 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,815,719 times
Dude you are seriously retarded... Williamsburg is not only Bedford avenue... I wonder if you even read people's posts or if you simply look at what you can correct...

Last time I checked Southside is still considered part of williamsburg and that area has not changed anywhere near the amount that Bedford ave and the Northside has... Since you feel so comfortable in williamsburg go pass by south 1st and roebling or anywhere near there... thats PR DR central and its flooded with Kings and 3nis...

I live within a few blocks of that neighborhood and I know the area very well... And as far as bushwick goes I will give you that the area from dekalb from Jefferson has gotten world's better from what it used to be, but that is mostly from cypress to irving between dekalb and jefferson... once you pass knickerbocker the movement that most speak of in bushwick becomes relatively nonexistent...

Old 05-02-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Dude you are seriously retarded...
Nice job on the slur. I believe you are a teacher, correct? Nice.

Quote:
Williamsburg is not only Bedford avenue... I wonder if you even read people's posts or if you simply look at what you can correct...
I don't know what this means. I read every word. I commented on your gross hyperbole, "Williamsburg is no longer considered that great an erea."

Quote:
Last time I checked Southside is still considered part of williamsburg and that area has not changed anywhere near the amount that Bedford ave and the Northside has...
I was comparing compstat reports for "Brooklyn South"(Park Slope, et al, and "Brooklyn North" (Bushwick, Williamsburg, et al)

Brooklyn South: http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...ics/cspbbs.pdf
Brooklyn North: http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...ics/cspbbn.pdf

In fact, a comparison of Brooklyn North and Brooklyn South compstats appears to support your claim that Bushwick and Williamsburg (Brooklyn North) are in decline. However, as has been posted by others in this thread, it is mostly burglary that is on the rise in Brooklyn North, almost certainly a result of the bad economy. I just spoke to some police officers from the 83rd Pricinct this morning (I was having my property evaluated for security, btw), and they reported that viloent crime is way down, and that police presence is way up. They also reported that the community as a whole is more involved than ever in the pricinct meetings, etc., and that the changes that are occuring in Bushwick are firmly taking root. I.e., we've had two murders in Bushwick so far this year. This time last year, we had 4.

The facts are clear that Bushwick and Williamsburg East are continuing to improve, despite the recent uptick in burglaries. These areas will "NEVER be Williamsburg", as you so vehemently pridict, Anon, and I agree. I hope Bushwick will forever be uniquely it's own, but it will certainly continue to improve, become continually safer over time, and become more diverse. Me and my neighbors are doing our part to make sure that's true. That is our area's trajectory based on hard evidence, and it will continue. Anon, throwing spitballs from Ridgewood does not make this less true. Why don't you spend some of your energy doing something positive for your neighborhood, and while you're at it, you could support us as we improve ours.

Last edited by tkak69; 05-02-2011 at 09:29 AM..

Old 05-02-2011, 10:44 AM

another pointless conversation with a poster who is set on his opinion and who will look to deflect and shoot down opinions based on inconsequential reasoning without providing any links or real evidence to support his claim...

forgive me if I don't believe someone who has a vested interest in this neighborhood of Bushwick tell me that he spoke to the cops at the 83rd precinct and they told him all this information for no apparent reason... Because cops take the time of day to do things like that...

And as for your ignorant assessment of me doing something to improve my neighborhood, I am. I ask what are you doing besides (most likely) asking the poor minority families to leave this neighborhood or buy them out to rent to the more important group of whites?

As for me, I'm busy trying to quell the rise of gangs in my neighborhood as well as the kids from Bushwick that come to the JHS I work in by teaching helping them to realize their academic potential and how the nonsense that surrounds them in the streets will take them no where. Fact is, I grew up in East NY and I know what it's like to have constant pressure to join a crew for protection where at the time shootouts, knife fights, and getting jumped were all too common... and while I agree with you that we are a much safer NYC than 15-20 years ago, areas like Bushwick and Williamsburg Bedford Avenue aside still are considered rough...

You can look at surface statistics that tell you that the Northside of Williamsburg has become majority white and therefore the entire neighborhood is not considered hood anymore... Or you can actually read up on the history of the area and realize that the specific part of Williamsburg along Bedford bordering Greenpoint was never the hood to begin with... And it already had a significant white population even before the hipsters and yuppies came. That being said, Southside was a different story and continues to be so, and while crime isn't happening the way it used to you still have to understand that the area by Southside is still majority low income minorities specifically PR's and DR's and gang presence in high in the area...

Again I live near hear and I speak from experience...

Old 05-02-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
forgive me if I don't believe someone who has a vested interest in this neighborhood of Bushwick tell me that he spoke to the cops at the 83rd precinct and they told him all this information for no apparent reason... Because cops take the time of day to do things like that...
I know you're going to have the last word, so go for it. But since you just called me a liar, allow me to respond. Office Swanson from the 83 Princinct came to my house this morning to conduct a security assessment on my property. Here's a description of a security asssessment from the NYPD's FAQ:

"The police department offers a free confidential security survey to all residents in New York. This survey analyzes the present security level of the premise and makes recommendations on how to increase the level of security. If you are interested in setting up an appointment for a security survey contact your local precinct's Crime Prevention Officer."

Yes, cops do take the time of day to do things like that.

Also, the 83rd princinct compstat affirms what i said about the crimes stats (year to date):

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs083pct.pdf

50% DECREASE in murder
33% DECREASE in rape
3.3% INCREASE in robbery
11% DECREASE in felony assault
66% INCREASE in burglary (which I guess is your evidence for how bad it's getting in Bushwick. This is concerning. It is almost certainly a result of the bad economy, and FYI, the reason I had the police do the security assessment.)
11% INCREASE in grand larceny
37% DECREASE in G.L.A. (I don't know what that is...)

For an agreggate total of 9.76% increase in criminal activity.

Now, please go ahead and continue to knock Bushwick, and anyone who says they like it/ are moving there/disagree with you/ are optimistic about the future.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:44 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,224,980 times
When I lived at Hart St and Wilson a few years back (when I was broke as a joke), I was talking to a couple of cops on the block. They had a good laugh when they found out I lived around there. Me being a clean cut white guy. I did too actually...

Old 05-02-2011, 02:41 PM

@ tkak69 I love those percentage figures that dramatize everything so much more than it really is... like when you say 50% decrease in murder when the reality is that within the confines of the 83rd precinct we went from 4 at this point last year to 2 this year which in this neighborhood can change at any point in time... I never forget earlier in the year when the compstat figures posted a 1000% percent increase in murder one week for the city when last year there was 1 murder that week and this year there was 11... percentages can be so deceiving...

To your last point, I have no problems with hipsters/yuppies moving into whatever area they choose... I have no issue with you making six figures combined with your wife and choosing to live in one of the higher crime areas in NYC and trying to convince everyone you live in hipster/yuppy town... what do they call it? Billyburg, Bushburg... etc. Again, to each his own...

Also, seeing as how I live on the border of Bushwick and not in Bushwick, I wouldn't care at all about hipsters flocking to Bushwick seeing as how them moving into Bushwick would not affect my rent over here in Ridgewood at all...

What I do have an issue with is what gentrification/hipsters/yuppies/realtor/con-artists say to the people moving into the area... What I also have an issue with is the fact that now owners of buildings either kick out or buy-out the low-income minority families in order to bring in the type of folk that raise property values...

http://www.yelp.com/topic/san-francisco-have-you-ever-been-paid-by-a-landlord-to-move-out-of-a-rent-controlled-apartment

Granted, this isn't an article on NYC, but what it shows is that contrary to what people think, this type of thing does happen all the time, where people who have lived in their neighborhood for 15-20 years are offered 5k, 10k, 15k to move out... A good number of friends that lived in Williamsburg were actually offered 5,000 to leave their building and guess what... because they were broke, they did... They saw quick money and fled... didn't think about where they would move to, or about being able to afford their next apartment, or about how far that 5k would really take them... and this happens to alot of families...

Finally, the last thing I have an issue with is those that were suckered into buying into this area and then complain about the quality of life and how there are not enough cafes, art spots, everyone is so mean here... blah blah blah... I am tired of hearing stories like this because if they would have done any objective research on the neighborhood at all, they would have realized that getting an apt. in the neighborhood would be a mistake...

As i've said before, there are those feel good stories, where they moved into an ok part of Bushwick and they were smart about how they handled themselves and have been pleasantly surprised with the neighborhood... those stories are great; but they don't happen all the time... There are many people that didn't realize what they were getting into and ended up hating the neighborhood they lived in and because they weren't loaded they couldn't move...

This is why I say to people to go look at the area for themselves... don't go by what we say... Come here to visit in the afternoon or if you're gonna be working at night time or in the morning come at those times and see the vibe that the neighborhood gives you during those times... If you feel comfortable then by all means... but maybe you might see something you don't like and thankfully you were smart enough to check out the neighborhood before hand and didn't simply go by what people with subjective opinions and personal interests told you either online or in person...

Old 05-03-2011, 07:41 AM

Another article from 2008 in Time Magazine about a study at University of Pittsburgh:

Gentrification: Not Ousting the Poor? - TIME

Old 05-03-2011, 11:41 AM

Weren't we having this same conversation of the old links that you probably spent hours searching for online in another thread...

So the research conducted was from 1990-2000? Interesting... I didn't realize gentrification in 1995 was a hot button issue affecting Bushwick, Bed-stuy and Harlem... I guess I must've missed it on the news... Now if you were to show evidence on recent times that this is the case, perhaps between 05-09, then we'd have something...

I guess I just don't understand why those against this movement and displacement of the poor are labeled as racist when all we're asking people to do is observe the neighborhood for themselves... I mean why should you want to live in a neighborhood where you have to be convinced of is safe? It just makes no sense to me...

What I also don't understand is why these hipster/yuppy type feel they have the right to move in and demand changes within this neighborhood that they've been in for maybe a year or so without consulting or even caring about the local population thats been there for years... Aside from the fact that there white and there exactly what Bloomberg is encouraging, why should local barbecues in a neighborhood be stopped... (i.e.- what was mentioned in your other thread on gentrification)...

Fact is... it is simply a lie to say that gentrification and displacement doesn't affect the poor majority living there... These new people come in... demand changes and are instantly attended to, raise the rents (whether it be there fault or not, the problem still exists), then owners try to buy out the poor living in their buildings for the more important group of people, and finally thousands of condos replace affordable housing to cater to a new group... guess who...

Old 05-10-2011, 12:00 PM

18 posts, read 35,413 times

@cokatie, lol, whats wrong with bushwick? I'm plannig a move sometime next year and I'm looking for a nice neighborhood. What neighborhood do you stay in?

sorry for the underlined type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City