Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 09:43 AM

71 posts, read 224,918 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/17/re...gewanted=2&hpw

Another article on my favorite neighborhood!! Courtesy of NY Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 10:26 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,813,666 times
Courtesy of a newspaper that is so subjective in terms of gentrification that it has been labeling Ridgewood a hotspot for young professionals since 1985...

IF YOU'RE THINKING OF LIVING IN RIDGEWOOD - NYTimes.com

"But the recent designation of parts of this blue-collar neighborhood in Queens as a Federal historic district is prompting changes. Tenants are buying their own homes and young professionals are moving into the community."

And Bushwick itself has been spoken about as a new hotspot for hipsters/and artists since the late 90s even when there population might have been 5-10 people...

CHeck out this article: Close-Up On: Ridgewood, Queens - Page 1 - NYC Life - New York - Village Voice

It already concedes to the fact that Bushwick and Williamsburg had been taken over by hipsters by 2002!!! These are the articles that you look for and that as I've mentioned previously cannot be trusted since they come from subjective sources that have agendas and motives clear as day...

You probably wait for the next article to come out about Bushwick hand and foot to post on here and continue your agenda... it's really ridiculous and the fact that you feel the need to do so, kinda speaks volumes about how you really feel about the neighborhood... You don't see people in Williamsburg, or Park Slope, LES, Astoria, LIC, posting constant articles (from the TIMES no less... lol) to convince people of what is occuring... Because the reality is that it has occured over there where significant progress has been made...

You, on the other hand are obsessed with creating this hype that most hipsters that move here realize as soon as they move in here... it is what it is... just hype... If we use the same statistics to judge all the other neighborhoods in the city we'd believe that Brownsville, Mott Haven, Morrisania, East New York, etc. then are all areas that are experiencing the same gentrification that Bushwick is experiencing cause they have the same numbers... the same drop-offs in crime... the same passing rates, etc.

What's the reality? Times are not as dangerous nowadays... We know that... That's why 7 billion on this earth are selling their souls to try and live in this city... However, that being said, what's the reality among these neighborhoods that have had a significant drop off in crime since the 90s... they are still crime-plagued and for most of these areas that have been spoken about as hot spots for hipsters/artists, they have seen a surge in the overall crime rate and/or murder rate... Areas like South Williamsburg (90th precinct), Bushwick (83rd precinct)... Mott Haven (40th precinct) a little ridiculous for me giving the statistics but I just go by what the times reports since it is so factual have all had increased either in violent crime or overall crime... These neighborhoods are not any better than they were five years ago... they remain high-crime dangerous areas to live in for everyone and not just the Black youth though unfortunately they are the biggest targets... Fact is, the only reason why the crime numbers affecting the hipsters was so low, was because their numbers weren't all that large in any of these neighborhoods... Doesn't mean they weren't getting targetted at the same rate as anyone else... If Black and Hispanic folk are 90% of the population and hipsters are 10%... who do you think is gonna show up more as being a victim of crime...

Look, once again, I am not against anyone moving anywhere but as someone looking from the outside, in, without any agendas or real estate motivations, it is really annoying to see all these articles promoting areas that people know are dangerous and yet without any hesitation or research choose to move here solely based on the hype promoted by articles that by no means are objective...

Old 07-18-2011, 10:28 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,563,959 times
LOL, not only is it another one of those articles that talk about the "transition" of a neighborhood, it's also about 5 years too late to even write those articles anymore.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:04 PM

316 posts, read 990,409 times
I'd like to see this article in the Times: Bushlick: The Crap Neighborhood Even You Can Afford!

Last edited by boan; 07-18-2011 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: Naughty Language

Old 07-18-2011, 10:37 PM

606 posts, read 2,095,564 times
anon thanks for article from 1985 about Ridgewood. I grew up in Glendale and I assure you that in the 80s no sensible person believed--and it was not true that---Ridgewood was a 'hood on the rise.

The NYT is for lack of a better term "bourgeois."

Old 07-19-2011, 05:49 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,634,823 times
You'd think that every once in a while, someone might actually take a look at the history of this city before ranting and raving about some other group of people moving into a neighborhood. There's not a part of this city that hasn't changed over many times since the city was founded. Nothing is static; everything is continually in flux.

I was born in Brownsville (several years since it was a Jewish neighborhood, which sometimes surprises people under the age of 40). Harlem used to be all white. So now some white people are moving to Bushwick--which was originally Dutch, then predominantly German, for more than 300 years? Big deal. Nothing to get excited about.

Come back here in 50 or 60 years and see how many other neighborhoods have undergone changes.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:39 AM

288 posts, read 567,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
You'd think that every once in a while, someone might actually take a look at the history of this city before ranting and raving about some other group of people moving into a neighborhood. There's not a part of this city that hasn't changed over many times since the city was founded. Nothing is static; everything is continually in flux.

I was born in Brownsville (several years since it was a Jewish neighborhood, which sometimes surprises people under the age of 40). Harlem used to be all white. So now some white people are moving to Bushwick--which was originally Dutch, then predominantly German, for more than 300 years? Big deal. Nothing to get excited about.

Come back here in 50 or 60 years and see how many other neighborhoods have undergone changes.
Amen.

But somehow, people feel entitled to "their" neighborhood. And don't get them started on "transplants". We all know New York City appeared from the skies readily filled with 8 million people and all these "transplants" are just tainting the pure NY blood.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:01 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,389,726 times
I agree with that Fred! I personally don't know much about Bushwick, but based on the housing stock, demographics, and prices, it seems very similar to Mott Haven/Southern Bronx. And if change is happening, albeit slowly, here, I can imagine with the proximity to Williamsburg how quickly Bushwick is evolving.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:32 AM

337 posts, read 969,792 times
Why do all transplants have favorite neighborhoods? Neighborhoods that they are not from. Bushwick will be known as an area where latinos were pushed out by out of town college kids.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:34 AM

337 posts, read 969,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el77 View Post
Why do all transplants have favorite neighborhoods? Neighborhoods that they are not from. Bushwick will be known as an area where latinos were pushed out by out of town college kids.
I guess it's as crazy as a brooklyn dude whos not from brooklyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City