Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 11:46 AM

34,175 posts, read 47,407,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABklynDude View Post
Where does your family live around? Jogging around Bushwick, I have jogged down to the Jackie Robinson Pkwy, and up around back up through Wyckoff ave and Central ave. I do notice that down by Chauncy the neighborhood starts to look more dangerous, but I think by then, I'm leaving the confines of Bushwick.
No you're not leaving the confines of Bushwick. Don't go start changing neighborhoood boundaries on us, realtor.

north: cypress ave
south: broadway
east: the cemeteries
west: flushing avenue

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 12:13 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,815,719 times
@ seventh floor just don't bother... if you do, you'll just be criticized for stifiling the "progress" that is happening in the neighborhood even though the neighborhood went from 95% poor working class to 91% poor working class in ten years... look at the numbers for yourself...

but people don't want to hear that... people don't want to hear that there had to a dramatic increase in cop presence in the early months of this year to quell the rise of the Latin Kings in the neighborhood again... people don't want to hear that because of the talk of "gentrification" burglaries have shot up dramatically in the neighborhood on top of the fact that Bushwick had already seen a sharp increase in crime last year...

People don't want to hear that despite all the buzz, Bushwick remains one of the poorest neighborhoods in the city and it is one of the dirtiest neighborhoods in the city as well...

In fact I passed by the neighborhood that everyone says has become the next Williamsburg in Bushwick which is towards the jefferson stop/morgan stops, the percentage breakdown I saw walking down the streets was around 80% hispanic 10% black 5% white 5% asian... and the asians that i saw weren't the hipster asians that people are talking about either but rather the same type of asians that have been living in this neighborhood for years which are the poor chinese/korean folk... and this is supposedly the mecca of the Bushwick hipster culture... give me a break...

I mean I live here and I don't understand how so many people turn a blind eye, to the crime, poverty and filth of the neighborhood for a couple thousand hipster folk that live here... it's just amazing to me... The only place I actually see a decent amount of the "Williamsburg" type folk is around the Ridgewood/Bushwick border by Wyckoff Heights on St.Nich from dekalb down jefferson... and its still majority hispanic but probably you'll see something like a 70% hispanic 20% white and 10% everything else breakdown...

Again, I have no reason to lie, seeing as how I don't live in Bushwick but rather Ridgewood, but its just amazing to me how people on here and throughout the real estate sites push this neighborhood so strongly and then others who have probably never stepped foot in Bushwick in their lives but just read the papers write on here how great Brooklyn is turning... and everyone believes what they say like it's the letter of the law... then if others, post something opposite what people want to hear, we are being overly dramatic, negative, racist, and whatever else they call us...

It's whatever now... I'm just about done telling people to actually walk through the neighborhood and to do actual research and not just curbed.com and other hipster friendly sites... if they want to buy into what is still a predominantly poor working class high crime area without doing any legitimate research aside from posting on city data "im looking for good things about Bushwick so i could spend 1700 for a railroad apt..." then by all means do so... again by all means, ignore facts and objective posts for subjective ones with an agenda... makes perfect sense...

Old 04-21-2011, 12:19 PM

71 posts, read 224,959 times
Wow sensitive arent we? I jog down to the Jackie Robinson usually, but Chauncey is near the cemetery. I guess im leaving the confines when im jogging past the cemetery if it makes you feel better. What I know is that down by Jackie Robinson and the areas past it things start to look more shady from what I've seen going through that area, but what do I know... Im a realtor according to you. Sorry if I dont know my exact neighborhood border line streets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
No you're not leaving the confines of Bushwick. Don't go start changing neighborhoood boundaries on us, realtor.

north: cypress ave
south: broadway
east: the cemeteries
west: flushing avenue

Old 04-21-2011, 12:27 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,564,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
@ seventh floor just don't bother... if you do, you'll just be criticized for stifiling the "progress" that is happening in the neighborhood even though the neighborhood went from 95% poor working class to 91% poor working class in ten years... look at the numbers for yourself...

but people don't want to hear that... people don't want to hear that there had to a dramatic increase in cop presence in the early months of this year to quell the rise of the Latin Kings in the neighborhood again... people don't want to hear that because of the talk of "gentrification" burglaries have shot up dramatically in the neighborhood on top of the fact that Bushwick had already seen a sharp increase in crime last year...

People don't want to hear that despite all the buzz, Bushwick remains one of the poorest neighborhoods in the city and it is one of the dirtiest neighborhoods in the city as well...

In fact I passed by the neighborhood that everyone says has become the next Williamsburg in Bushwick which is towards the jefferson stop/morgan stops, the percentage breakdown I saw walking down the streets was around 80% hispanic 10% black 5% white 5% asian... and the asians that i saw weren't the hipster asians that people are talking about either but rather the same type of asians that have been living in this neighborhood for years which are the poor chinese/korean folk... and this is supposedly the mecca of the Bushwick hipster culture... give me a break...

I mean I live here and I don't understand how so many people turn a blind eye, to the crime, poverty and filth of the neighborhood for a couple thousand hipster folk that live here... it's just amazing to me... The only place I actually see a decent amount of the "Williamsburg" type folk is around the Ridgewood/Bushwick border by Wyckoff Heights on St.Nich from dekalb down jefferson... and its still majority hispanic but probably you'll see something like a 70% hispanic 20% white and 10% everything else breakdown...

Again, I have no reason to lie, seeing as how I don't live in Bushwick but rather Ridgewood, but its just amazing to me how people on here and throughout the real estate sites push this neighborhood so strongly and then others who have probably never stepped foot in Bushwick in their lives but just read the papers write on here how great Brooklyn is turning... and everyone believes what they say like it's the letter of the law... then if others, post something opposite what people want to hear, we are being overly dramatic, negative, racist, and whatever else they call us...

It's whatever now... I'm just about done telling people to actually walk through the neighborhood and to do actual research and not just curbed.com and other hipster friendly sites... if they want to buy into what is still a predominantly poor working class high crime area without doing any legitimate research aside from posting on city data "im looking for good things about Bushwick so i could spend 1700 for a railroad apt..." then by all means do so... again by all means, ignore facts and objective posts for subjective ones with an agenda... makes perfect sense...
Funny thing, when the census for 2010 came out and I look at the NY Times map I was surprised that the number of whites who moved in Bushwick weren't all THAT significant. Of course near the border of Williamsburg, there's about 20% white but overall it's still a huge Hispanic and black majority. Bushwick ain't gentrifying no time soon. The peak has passed about 4-5 years now cause IMO NYC or the US, in general, is not gonna see gentrification this huge for a long time. The economy has dipped too far.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:29 PM

I guess the website that says real-estate in bold letters was just my imagination... apologies...
Next Williamsburg: Bushwick, Brooklyn | Crain's New York Business

and no you shouldn't have to know the borders of your neighborhood, but then at the same time, don't claim you do if in reality you don't... jus sayin...

and while I do feel that after Halsey and not Chauncey things get a little shadier, there are many blocks before that are just as shady if not more than the blocks after halsey, the difference is, past Halsey the white population is almost non-existent... maybe 1 or 2% of the population total but not much at all... and its further away from the train stations as well so its not as developed...

Again, not really sensitive, but going by what many have told me already... according to them, even though I am a minority myself and they are caucasian I am racist against my people... according to them even though, they've lived in Bushwick from anywhere between 1 week to a year, they know the neighborhood better than i do even though I've lived on the border for about 15 years... According to them, they can complain about the quality of life of the neighborhood and how they want to see more of this and more of that after they moved in... even though we had the same discussion with them explaining why they shouldn't move there in the first place...

Need i go on...

Old 04-21-2011, 12:30 PM

I dont recall accusing anyone of stifling progess. I just give my thoughts on the neighborhood I'm happy to be living in. I do see cops, but its nothing dramatic like what you make it seem. Looks like regular patrol to me. Im asian also by the way, and I work in finance so I wouldnt call myself poor, but of couse we would all love to be living in the Hamptons sleeping on a matress of money. I also wouldnt call myself a hipster, but i am open minded to different neighborhoods and my gf has been living in Bushwick her whole life. I never mentioned anything about ethnicities once also. What I've stated about why I like this neighborhood is because of its proximity to everything. Easy access to Manhattan, and Williamsburg by train, and I driving wise its also conveniently located to major hwys. I can hop on the Jackie Robinson to queens, or go down flushing ave to the BQE. The influx of artist and business are just a plus.

Quote:

Old 04-21-2011, 12:41 PM

Again I don't remember mentioning you specifically when I said so many on here do it but I guess you included yourself in that group...

And if you are not a supporter of the hipster group or have no vested interest and are just posting about the positive attributes of bushwick then why include a real estate link that discusses how great the neighborhood is... that link has pretty much zero credibility considering where it came from...

Old 04-21-2011, 01:23 PM

You didnt mention me specifically, but since you did say "and the asians that i saw weren't the hipster asians that people are talking about either but rather the same type of asians that have been living in this neighborhood for years which are the poor chinese/korean folk" it seems your assuming its just poor asians out here, but I would classify myself as middle class since im making in the range of 75k - 150k, which is about middle class in NYC. My gf who is a nurse is also middle class, and so are many of her friends who have lived in the neighborhood most of their lives. My links are there to show how this neighborhood is slowly changing for the better and the new businesses popping up. Dont know why it should have zero credibility. My gf was happy to see that Bushwick is being noticed, and so was her family. Why dont you tell us what a credible source would be? If Bushwick is so bad, please post some links showing the other side that I havent seen, so that I can see where your opinion of Bushwick is coming from.

Quote:
Again I don't remember mentioning you specifically when I said so many on here do it but I guess you included yourself in that group...

And if you are not a supporter of the hipster group or have no vested interest and are just posting about the positive attributes of bushwick then why include a real estate link that discusses how great the neighborhood is... that link has pretty much zero credibility considering where it came from...

Old 04-21-2011, 01:27 PM

288 posts, read 567,214 times
What I don't understand on this board is why as soon as someone mentions Bushwick or Bed-Stuy as a neighborhood they're interested in living in or like, immediately the response is "you're an idiot, these are dumps and you're going to be a victim of crime". Let people move to Bushwick if they want to. Bushwick, believe it or not, is desirable to some people. Believe it or not, some people actively choose Bushwick because it's affordable, near to the city and has a small but vibrant art scene (I know. People interested or involved in art are terrible human beings by design but let's set that aside for a second), not because they have been duped by a "shady" landlord. Believe it or not, most people are not interested in race statistics or crime statistics, they want to live their lives best they can and move to some place and try to fit in and mind their business. It's as simple as that.

If they choose Bushwick don't lecture them on crime and random apocalyptic observations of how many blacks and hispanics you counted coming out of the Jefferson L stop on a random afternoon, and how you heard that supposedly "hipsters" (whoever that is) get beat up all the time. If you don't like Bushwick, fine. But that doesn't mean that people (and let's face facts here: you mean white people) are stupid for moving there. Last I checked, one of NYC's major assets is it's multi-ethnicity. Somehow that doesn't apply for white people wanting to move into non-white neighborhoods?

Old 04-21-2011, 01:57 PM

Wow @ grigou thank you for the complete misrepresentation of my post... It's amazing how people can twist someone's words so effortlessly... I guess conning people through clever advertising really does come in handy...

@ abklyndude didn't I tell you I'd get the race card when I wasn't talking about race... didn't I tell you i'd get the overly dramatic or in grigou's case "apocalyptic" card...

It's the typical response for a promoter who just looks at the surface of the new statistics... fact is when I was talking about crime I didn't even mention hispanics and blacks but rather I said it was a majority poor working class high crime area in NYC... am I wrong? take a look at the 83rd precint and tell me I'm wrong... tell me Burglaries haven't been on the rise in the neighborhood since the talk of gentrification exploded last year... tell me that the Latin Kings weren't on a mission early on this year and picking up steam...

If you can tell me I'm wrong in any one of the things I'm saying, then by all means, I'll stay quiet... but forgive the bluntness but, it is stupid for people to trust the opinion's of people with obvious interests in the neighborhood (whether it be so there house can appreciate in value, or a real estate agent trying to make a quick buck, or an annoyed hipster who was conned into buying into a bad area and therefore tells everyone how great it is to con others into buying in...)

This neighborhood will never be Williamsburg... Please stop the ignorance and open your minds a little bit and actually do some research about Williamsburg before you compare... The Northside of Williamsburg was never hood minority folk to begin with... It was a working class jewish, european and hispanic area that dealt with an okay amount of crime but nowhere near the levels of Bushwick in its hayday...

Bushwick will never become Williamsburg, NEVER... Do i mean it won't get better? NO... read carefully... It will not become Williamsburg... It will not become the center for hipsters and yuppies and cafes and art scenes on every block... It will not be the center of the indie/pop/alternative rock scene... It won't... I'm sorry to all the people who won't see there money pay off the way it would in a Fort Greene, or a Williamsburg, or an LES, LIC, etc. None of those neighborhoods were close to the poverty or crime level of Bushwick which to this day still remains as one of the top five worst neighborhoods in terms of crime in the city...

and @ Abrklyndude... I didn't say that all the asians were like that no need to get on the defensive... I said that the ones I saw weren't the ones that have been supposedly linked to the neighborhood... all i hear about is how middle-to upper middle class asians and hipsters have been flocking to this hood and they are taking over the neighborhood and yet, I see a few hipsters walking around maybe 5-10 in a day but the asian folk that I see (note) for the most part, are the same folk that have been living here for awhile which is why I said what I said...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City