Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 02:17 PM

71 posts, read 224,998 times

Advertisements

I apologize then, I see how grigou mentions race although we havent talked about counting any ethnicity coming out of train stations, but as for crime I really havent felt threatened. Going by what you say here are a few links on the crime stats

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs083pct.pdf
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs063pct.pdf
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs090pct.pdf
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs061pct.pdf
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs075pct.pdf
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs067pct.pdf

I threw in a mix of a few nice neighborhoods and crazy ones. Looking at Bushwick 83pct comapred to the other precincts, I would say it ranks closer to the decent areas crime wise. Seeing how Grand Larceny is lower in Bushwick than for the other supposedly more tame precincts(63 marine park, 90 williamsburg, 61 sheepshead) maybe those nicer precincts are downgrading their crimes? Lol but on a more serious note, looking at an overall picture, Bushwick's numbers arent too far off from the other middle class neighborhoods. Comparing Bushwick to the crazy precincts (67 East flatbush, 75 East NY, 73 Brownsville) Bushwick is quite tame. Bushwick dosent even have a murder yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Wow @ grigou thank you for the complete misrepresentation of my post... It's amazing how people can twist someone's words so effortlessly... I guess conning people through clever advertising really does come in handy...

@ abklyndude didn't I tell you I'd get the race card when I wasn't talking about race... didn't I tell you i'd get the overly dramatic or in grigou's case "apocalyptic" card...

It's the typical response for a promoter who just looks at the surface of the new statistics... fact is when I was talking about crime I didn't even mention hispanics and blacks but rather I said it was a majority poor working class high crime area in NYC... am I wrong? take a look at the 83rd precint and tell me I'm wrong... tell me Burglaries haven't been on the rise in the neighborhood since the talk of gentrification exploded last year... tell me that the Latin Kings weren't on a mission early on this year and picking up steam...

If you can tell me I'm wrong in any one of the things I'm saying, then by all means, I'll stay quiet... but forgive the bluntness but, it is stupid for people to trust the opinion's of people with obvious interests in the neighborhood (whether it be so there house can appreciate in value, or a real estate agent trying to make a quick buck, or an annoyed hipster who was conned into buying into a bad area and therefore tells everyone how great it is to con others into buying in...)

This neighborhood will never be Williamsburg... Please stop the ignorance and open your minds a little bit and actually do some research about Williamsburg before you compare... The Northside of Williamsburg was never hood minority folk to begin with... It was a working class jewish, european and hispanic area that dealt with an okay amount of crime but nowhere near the levels of Bushwick in its hayday...

Bushwick will never become Williamsburg, NEVER... Do i mean it won't get better? NO... read carefully... It will not become Williamsburg... It will not become the center for hipsters and yuppies and cafes and art scenes on every block... It will not be the center of the indie/pop/alternative rock scene... It won't... I'm sorry to all the people who won't see there money pay off the way it would in a Fort Greene, or a Williamsburg, or an LES, LIC, etc. None of those neighborhoods were close to the poverty or crime level of Bushwick which to this day still remains as one of the top five worst neighborhoods in terms of crime in the city...

and @ Abrklyndude... I didn't say that all the asians were like that no need to get on the defensive... I said that the ones I saw weren't the ones that have been supposedly linked to the neighborhood... all i hear about is how middle-to upper middle class asians and hipsters have been flocking to this hood and they are taking over the neighborhood and yet, I see a few hipsters walking around maybe 5-10 in a day but the asian folk that I see (note) for the most part, are the same folk that have been living here for awhile which is why I said what I said...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 02:27 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,227,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABklynDude View Post
but I would classify myself as middle class since im making in the range of 75k - 150k,

LOL at living in Bushwick with this more than healthy salary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABklynDude View Post
The influx of artist and business are just a plus.

yay artists

Old 04-21-2011, 02:39 PM

Yup whats wrong with living in Bushwick with my salary? My rent is fairly low for a 3 bedroom and im saving to to buy a home, im also putting away a decent chunk into my retirement. Not sure if most people can say the same. Warren Buffet still lives in a middle income neighborhood even though he's a billionare. With the spend mentality, thats why so many of our youths are in debt. Most Americans just spend and spend, but if many would save a little more instead of living paycheck to paycheck our taxes wouldn't have to support so many people who suddenly go underwater. Whats wrong with these artist by the way? If it wasnt for the artists, we wouldnt have all the different music, and arts so many people enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
LOL at living in Bushwick with this more than healthy salary

yay artists

Old 04-21-2011, 02:52 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,655,998 times
There's nothing worse than that ridiculous phrasing, "A is the new B." Bushwick is not the next anything; it's still Bushwick. And for some strange reason, people either have forgotten (or never knew in the first place) that it's been a perfectly fine residential district going back to the 18th century. If it's regaining that reputation, nobody should be surprised; every neighborhood in the city has undergone changes over time.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:52 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,817,481 times
LMBO @ murder being you're only way to gauge crime... And grand larceny are car incidents... oh boy williamsburg has more car accidents than Bushwick... then by all means let's pack our things right now... What you don't realize when you post specific precints is that you don't know how much each precint covers... the 75th precint covers a ginormous amount of territory in probably the 2 worst neighborhoods in the city in East New York and Brownsville, Brooklyn... similarly the 77th and 81st precints each cover areas in Bed-stuy and Crown Heights...

The same thing applies to the nicer precints... for example Ridgewood aside the 104th precint covers all of Ridgewood, glendale and Middle Village and has the same amount of numbers for those three areas than Bushwick's one area... Believe I know how the precints are broken down and how the system works, I've done my research and Bushwick ranks among one of the worst in crime to this day... but if you want to continue trying to kid yourself and others, then to each his own...

Old 04-21-2011, 02:55 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,817,481 times
And Williamsburg has been experiencing a surge in crime this year so it is no longer considered that great an area... the 90th precint covers all parts of it including Northside, east williamsburg and the Southside... And just like Bushwick, burglaries have been on the rise there... the other precints you mentioned covered a larger area and had much lower numbers than Bushwick alone...

Old 04-21-2011, 03:07 PM

I didnt gauge a neighborhood by murders alone, I went by all the numbers and overall yr to date. The murder number was just something funny I wanted to point out since Bushwick is so "dangerous". Grand larceny is anything stolen worth 1k and over or credit cards. Technically someone breaking into a car and stealing a wallet with credit cards would be Grand larceny, but stolen from an apt can constitute burglary. GLA is grand larceny auto for the vehicles, which had its own category right under grand larceny. Both categories are separate. The website also has a link that shows a map of the area that each precinct covers. 83 and 90 seem to cover the areas that I jog around and live in. Since you have done your research, please show me something which shows that Bushwick is as crazy as you say. I really want to see where you opinion of Bushwick is coming from. The NYPD compstat from what you saying isnt showing me much, so show me something in relation to what your saying.

Quote:
LMBO @ murder being you're only way to gauge crime... And grand larceny are car incidents... oh boy williamsburg has more car accidents than Bushwick... then by all means let's pack our things right now... What you don't realize when you post specific precints is that you don't know how much each precint covers... the 75th precint covers a ginormous amount of territory in probably the 2 worst neighborhoods in the city in East New York and Brownsville, Brooklyn... similarly the 77th and 81st precints each cover areas in Bed-stuy and Crown Heights...

The same thing applies to the nicer precints... for example Ridgewood aside the 104th precint covers all of Ridgewood, glendale and Middle Village and has the same amount of numbers for those three areas than Bushwick's one area... Believe I know how the precints are broken down and how the system works, I've done my research and Bushwick ranks among one of the worst in crime to this day... but if you want to continue trying to kid yourself and others, then to each his own...

Old 04-21-2011, 03:23 PM

288 posts, read 567,371 times
Quote:
but if you want to continue trying to kid yourself and others, then to each his own...
But see, that's where you're wrong. Nobody is coming here and saying "Bushwick is the new UWS. Come all and rejoice in the new safest, cleanest and most affluent neighborhood new york has to offer!" People are, I think, more realistic about the neighborhood than you give them credit for. Some people like Bushwick for what it has to offer and don't obssess about precinct coverage and crime stats. What's wrong with that? And why do these people need to be schooled on the "reality" of the neighborhood, when they are living their own reality and just enjoying their life.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:24 PM

Bad news! Crime on rise in Williamsburg and Greenpoint • The Brooklyn Paper
Some blame bad economy for spur in for-profit crimes in Brooklyn nabes - New York Daily News
YourNabe.com > Archives > Brooklyn > What a pain! Armed robber stealing prescription pills
Violent Crime Is On The Rise In Sheepshead Bay, Deadliest Year In A Decade | Sheepshead Bay News Blog

I see articles like these, but looking at overall numbers, precinct coverage, and population density I really dont see bushwick being a crazy neighborhood in the way you make it sound. I feel fairly safe jogging around the neighborhood, but I dont want to be blind to crime either. Looking at overall numbers Bushwick is pretty much on the average scale of things. Seeing how some parts of the big precincts also cover more parkland the numbers look on par. I wouldnt call Bushwick a Park Slope or Bay Ridge, but it isnt Brownsville or East NY either. Im did my research just like you before I ever moved into Bushwick a few yrs ago, but I would like to see where your getting your info. If you have a NYPD insider with pinpoint crime maps please msg me and I'll give you my e-mail so you can send me the info or maybe you can sahre it with us all, so we can all see what you see.

Quote:
And Williamsburg has been experiencing a surge in crime this year so it is no longer considered that great an area... the 90th precint covers all parts of it including Northside, east williamsburg and the Southside... And just like Bushwick, burglaries have been on the rise there... the other precints you mentioned covered a larger area and had much lower numbers than Bushwick alone...

Old 04-21-2011, 04:41 PM

383 posts, read 1,317,353 times
I have no idea what bushwick you guys are talking about? I was just over bushwick two days ago. lol. that place is still trash. i think there was a double murder that was gang involed like a week ago.
You people sure you live in NY? or brooklyn for that matter. hahaha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City