Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 02:27 PM

160 posts, read 370,659 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Our 18 year old daughter and a friend are moving to New York to attend school. They are looking at apartments in the following areas:

1701 Alvemarle Road, Brooklyn (Corner of East 17th)

Snyder Ave at East 46th

Park Place at Brooklyn Avenue

Are these good areas for two young girls to live?

Thanks for any info you can provide.
Lynn and Russ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 07:59 PM

31 posts, read 236,770 times
The streets/areas your mentioning I beleive are in Flatbush, Kings County, and Prospect Heights. Flatbush (1701 Alvemarle Road)
is a really really really bad area. Avoid that place. I'm not sure about the other 2.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:12 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,671,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn and Russ View Post
Hello,

Our 18 year old daughter and a friend are moving to New York to attend school. They are looking at apartments in the following areas:

Snyder Ave at East 46th

Lynn and Russ
My order of the above neighborhoods, and names of sections:

1) Abermarle and East 17th (Ditmas Park); make this Number 1 if you are going to Brooklyn College. BC is one stope away on Subway.

2) Park Place and Brooklyn Avenue (Crown Heights). Near Eastern Parkway!

3) Snyder and East 46th (Flatbush). I would avoid this area due to having to take a bus to the Church Avenue station (2,5). Plus, it's the worst of the three!

Old 06-19-2007, 10:23 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,934 times
Quote:
Hello,

Snyder Ave at East 46th

Lynn and Russ
First address (Albenarle Road) is terrible. 3 cops have been killed in that area in the last what 2 years.

Second Address, Snyder and 46th Street, same neighborhood as above. A dump.

Third address, Park Place and Brooklyn Ave. I think this is in Crown Heights or Bed-stuy. Look elseware. Some PJ's a block away anyway.

Tell them to search in southern Brooklyn areas for better neighborhoods. Queens is nice too.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:20 AM

160 posts, read 370,659 times
Thank you for the help and insight. We will continue looking for a place for them to live.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:38 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
Default agree

These don't seem to be the best neighborhoods in the world. When I was looking to buy an apt. in fall 2005 I spent lots of time exploring these areas. I don't know about the Park Place one, but looking at the map I don't recall the general vicinity as being that nice. I know I did not feel comfortable in the vicinity of the Ablemarle address. The Snyder ave one seemed a bit better to me (visited during the day) but still not the place I would choose.

Could you direct them to find something near the Newkirk Ave. stop on the B/Q? (there is also one Newkirk stop on the 2 train- please note I am only talking about the area near the b/q train Newkirk stop)The rents are cheap over there and the area is surrounded by beautiful Victorian homes. Because the subway is an express stop, it isn't such a bad commute to Manhattan. I found the area to be kind of boring and very quiet, but compared to the other areas your daughter is looking, I think it would be a much better choice. This area is technically called "Ditmas Park" though Ditmas encompasses a large area and brokers may try to stretch it into other areas. The Cortelyou stop on the Q train is also nice. The trouble comes when you get too close to the Church Ave stop. (someone can correct me if I'm wrong)

There's a huge building on the corner of Westminster Rd and Newkirk Ave that I looked at. I think it's a coop building, but there must be rentals there as well (I assume). It has a doorman and seemed quite nice inside. I think there are apartments there in the $900-$1200 range.

If you check google maps and look at satellite view, you can see all the beautiful yards and Victorian homes nearby.

edited to add: there are lots of good photos of this area online, just type newkirk ditmas in to the search box on google and you will see. One site I found that has lots of photos is Victorian Flatbush - Wired New York Forum

Last edited by Henna; 06-20-2007 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: to add a link for photos

Old 06-20-2007, 10:48 PM

16 posts, read 116,280 times
DO NOT move them there. Bad Area in every way imaginable. I have a good vs bad map if you want. I can email it to you if you wish.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:49 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,422,738 times
Lynn and Russ: Those are less-than-desirable areas, as these people have said. Don't move them in here. I work in real estate in Brooklyn and you should check out Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Brooklyn Heights, Ft Greene, Park Slope, Dumbo, or Red Hook. Those 'hoods are all relatively safe, gentrifying or gentrified, and have excellent subway access with the exception of Red Hook--which is about an 8-10 block walk to the subway. If price is an issue, your best best from this list is probably Eastern Williamsburg near the neighborhood of Bushwick. Stay along the L train out to the 7th or 8th stop, and you'll be fine.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:17 PM

41 posts, read 241,880 times
Quote:
Hello,

Snyder Ave at East 46th

Lynn and Russ
as someone who travels to brooklyn often. I am kinda scared when I go into those type of areas.

my boyfriend lives on Snyder and East 55th. I think that is an ok neighborhood. its not bad, so i assume snyder and E 46th would be ok too.

I would look around first before a final decision is made.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:40 PM

49 posts, read 288,533 times
I'm used to those areas and I wouldn't move there. I'm very street smart but I wouldn't go there alone at night and I've been known to wait in cars in East New York and Brownsville wellll after hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City