Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 09:33 PM

41 posts, read 158,637 times

Advertisements

I'm staying in Times Square area. I'm used to running very long distances (up to 15 miles), so I don't mind walking 5 miles to get somewhere. In fact, I think I would prefer walking to taking the subway or bus, as I could see more of NYC in the process. Just wondering if it would be safe to walk in the following areas. Would I have to walk through sketchy areas to get there?

Times Square to...
Metropolitan Museum of Art
Brooklyn Bridge
Statue of Liberty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 09:47 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l'actrice View Post
I'm staying in Times Square area. I'm used to running very long distances (up to 15 miles), so I don't mind walking 5 miles to get somewhere. In fact, I think I would prefer walking to taking the subway or bus, as I could see more of NYC in the process. Just wondering if it would be safe to walk in the following areas. Would I have to walk through sketchy areas to get there?

Times Square to...
Brooklyn Bridge
Statue of Liberty
You'll be fine walking to any of those. Make sure you take a walk through Central Park on your way to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, you won't regret it.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:04 PM

41 posts, read 158,637 times
yay! I'm excited! so cool that nyc is such a pedestrian-friendly city!

Old 12-18-2010, 10:58 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,914 times
Yes those areas are very safe, however you'll have to the ferry to get to the Statue of Liberty Lol.

And don't mind the yellow cabs and dozens of cars honking at you to cross the street faster. They mean it with love =)

How long will you be here for? (Hopefully you'll have time to visit all boroughs and not just Brooklyn and Manhattan)

Also keep in mind the Brooklyn Bridge has great views of Lower Manhattan but the Williamsburg Bridge (Will let you off on the Williamsburg side of BK, Also safe) has better views of Midtown. Both bridges deserve a walk/pictures!

Old 12-19-2010, 12:43 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
The biggest danger would be getting hit by a car or bicycle. Just be really aware that cars -- especially in the Times Square area heading west where the roads start leading to the tunnels to NJ -- WILL nearly run you down. You have to be really careful. Alot of pedestrians die in the city and the deaths never really get to the news because it is so commonplace.

There were 155 pedestrian fatalities in NYC in 2009 - that is almost one every other day.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:57 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
The biggest danger would be getting hit by a car or bicycle. Just be really aware that cars -- especially in the Times Square area heading west where the roads start leading to the tunnels to NJ -- WILL nearly run you down. You have to be really careful. Alot of pedestrians die in the city and the deaths never really get to the news because it is so commonplace.

There were 155 pedestrian fatalities in NYC in 2009 - that is almost one every other day.
I agree.
I would just always recommend tourist to PAY ATTENTION!

When you're crossing the street and you're talking to someone walk swiftly and/or rapidly, but pay attention.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:25 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Also keep in mind the Brooklyn Bridge has great views of Lower Manhattan but the Williamsburg Bridge (Will let you off on the Williamsburg side of BK, Also safe) has better views of Midtown. Both bridges deserve a walk/pictures!
Both bridges have great views but it is easier to take photos from the Brooklyn Bridge as the walkway on the Williamsburg Bridge is caged/fenced for protection/security.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:14 AM

138 posts, read 373,454 times
i got hit by a bicycle once in washington square, the pain wasn't as bad as the bruise to my ego and the embarassment i went through.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:10 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l'actrice View Post

Times Square to...
Brooklyn Bridge
Statue of Liberty
Let us know how the walk to the Statue of Liberty ends up Jesus.
That walk can be very drowning.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:36 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,811,642 times
It might be a bit hazardous for the OP to WALk to the Statute of Liberty. Unless of course he can walk on water!

)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City