Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 09:02 AM

319 posts, read 1,251,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
If price is an issue, your best best from this list is probably Eastern Williamsburg near the neighborhood of Bushwick. Stay along the L train out to the 7th or 8th stop, and you'll be fine.
first of all, as students, i'm assuming price IS an issue.

secondly, no no no - do NOT advise them to go out to "eastern williamsburg" (this is no such thing) it's bushwick, not williamsburg and very unsafe, esp for 2 young girls...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 12:38 PM

160 posts, read 371,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy_cate View Post
first of all, as students, i'm assuming price IS an issue.

secondly, no no no - do NOT advise them to go out to "eastern williamsburg" (this is no such thing) it's bushwick, not williamsburg and very unsafe, esp for 2 young girls...

Thanks Amy for the info. They are cyurrently looking at areas in Jersey City since it seems to be more affordable.

Lynn and Russ

Old 06-25-2007, 01:04 PM

49 posts, read 288,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn and Russ View Post
Thanks Amy for the info. They are cyurrently looking at areas in Jersey City since it seems to be more affordable.

Lynn and Russ

And just as edgy.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:05 PM

435 posts, read 1,521,433 times
/\ Wow, It's really amazing. A few Black faces and everyone is SoOoOo scared.

17th and Alvemarle Rd: Not good, but not ghetto either. Not recommended for females.

Park Place and Brooklyn Ave: Gentrifiying, still some crime issues, but it's rapidly getting better.

Snyder and East 46st: Worst of the bunch, stay away.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:24 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,149,528 times
Default hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post

17th and Alvemarle Rd: Not good, but not ghetto either. Not recommended for females.

Park Place and Brooklyn Ave: Gentrifiying, still some crime issues, but it's rapidly getting better.

Don't really understand your two comments. On the one hand you say (I assume sarcastically) that everyone is afraid when they see some black faces. On the other hand, you then proceed to basically say that none of these three places is that good of an area. Does that mean you are afraid of some black faces too?

I was one of the ones who answered an earlier post. I DID walk around some of these blocks two years ago and there were points were I did not feel comfortable. Sure, there are lots of black faces. Is that why I felt uncomforable? I sure don't think so, as I also walked around areas of Lefferts Gardens (where I seemed to be the only white person on the crowded sidewalks that day) but I thought it was a nice-looking area where I would like to live.

I am not totally sure how I evaluated the blocks in question, but think I just used my senses to notice people's dress (are all the guys wearing their pants so large that they hang down from their upper thighs instead of their waist or hips), behavior (do people seem to be hanging around aimlessly on street corners with nothing to do), and condition of property and shops (is there trash on the streets and do the stores look dirty). ETC. Not simply the color of the people's faces.

It seems like you are making assumptions about the people posting here much in the same way you accuse the posters of making assumptions about all black people.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:26 PM

49 posts, read 288,666 times
Quote:

I should have mentioned that that's the best of the 3 choices. It's Flatbush/Crown Heights but not deep enough so that you're too close to Brownsville (which is where it starts to get scary). I would probably live in that area. My friend lives on Flatbush and Maple. Lots of West Indians there. She's never encountered problems going home after hours. But that's just one person.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:45 PM

34,119 posts, read 47,349,444 times
what area are you talking about thats flatbush/crown heights?

17th and albermarle is flatbush

park and brooklyn is crown heights

snyder & e 46 is east flatbush

park place and brooklyn avenue is the safest of the 3
right next to the park and the children's museums
the buildings over there are nice pre-war apts.

17th and albermarle is right in the heart of flatbush a lot of action and the street is live 24 hrs at nite not in a good way this would be the least desirable of the 3

46th n snyder aint that bad either right near utica avenue...not good but not bad either....average neighborhood for somebody with street smarts....its mostly houses with a sprinkling of apt bldgs

Old 06-25-2007, 11:29 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,802,495 times
Quote:

Why do you always bring race into it?

What else do I have to say on this subject?

All those address locations are near where 3 cops have have been killed over the past 2 years. They don't kill cops in nice neighborhoods.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:59 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,503,650 times
I would suggest areas in southern Brookyn such as Midwood, Marine Park and Sheepshead Bay. For convenience, I think it's best to live near the subway, but for several years there have been free transfers from the bus to the subway. That is convenient and it saves a lot of money. Marine Park is a bit far from the subway, but it is near buses that will take you there. But southern Brooklyn is a long way from Manhattan.

Avoid Bay Ridge. Although it is nice, it is very inconvenient in terms of the subway.

I cannot advise you on rental costs in these areas.

You didn't way where the young women are going to school, and whether or not they will have cars. These have a big impact on where it would be good for them to live.

BTW, car insurance in Brooklyn is very, very expensive!

Brooklyn has a lot of different neighborhoods and some are definitely safer than others. And neighborhoods vary in terms of closeness to the subway. There may be other neighborhoods that are safe, closer to Manhattan and within your price range.

Good luck.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:41 AM

160 posts, read 371,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
I would suggest areas in southern Brookyn such as Midwood, Marine Park and Sheepshead Bay. For convenience, I think it's best to live near the subway, but for several years there have been free transfers from the bus to the subway. That is convenient and it saves a lot of money. Marine Park is a bit far from the subway, but it is near buses that will take you there. But southern Brooklyn is a long way from Manhattan.

Avoid Bay Ridge. Although it is nice, it is very inconvenient in terms of the subway.

I cannot advise you on rental costs in these areas.

You didn't way where the young women are going to school, and whether or not they will have cars. These have a big impact on where it would be good for them to live.

BTW, car insurance in Brooklyn is very, very expensive!

Brooklyn has a lot of different neighborhoods and some are definitely safer than others. And neighborhoods vary in terms of closeness to the subway. There may be other neighborhoods that are safe, closer to Manhattan and within your price range.

Good luck.
The girls will be attending the Make Up Designory in Soho beginning in late August. As of now, they are looking at apartments in Jersey City since that area seems to be more affordable and in safe neighborhoods.

Thanks for the feedback and advice.
Lynn and Russ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City