Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2017, 07:29 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,860,476 times

Advertisements

quote:
but the fact that they are asking you for documents means that it is still active!

Nope. Not true at all. I've been through two housing lotteries with Mhany, coming close both times. They intentionally keep asking for more updated paperwork because they need to keep a ginormous backlog of people they can eventually assign to the waiting list so they don't get audited. They are shady AF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 07:31 PM

And they will NOT immediately telly you if something is missing, they will wait and wait and wait until you call them asking for an update and then they play the "OOPS" game, repeatedly.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:33 PM

And then because of all those "Ooops!" games they play, you find yourself on the waiting list after having all your documents approved by management, the city compliance offices, and even after having viewed a specifically assigned apartment (in my case) that you wind up on the dreaded waiting list.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:27 AM

31 posts, read 52,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
And then because of all those "Ooops!" games they play, you find yourself on the waiting list after having all your documents approved by management, the city compliance offices, and even after having viewed a specifically assigned apartment (in my case) that you wind up on the dreaded waiting list.
Well, poop.

Hopefully that's not the case but not much more I can do about it now. I do have one question: you mentioned calling for followups. I cannot even get through to leave a message on the MHANY line. The girl who called last week told me to call her when I resubmitted my docs to management. I asked for her extension or even email and she said no need, just call the main line. I did and got their automated message system. I tried every extension they listed in the message and the directory and each one just led me to another messaging system and all finally ended with a message saying they were sorry I was having issues, goodbye. How did you get to speak to a real live person?

Old 09-13-2017, 01:32 PM

10 posts, read 16,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly252 View Post
How did you get to speak to a real live person?
I don't know if you've gone to MHANY for the in-person intake, but that office is chaotic. Equipment and furniture in there are very old and dilapidated, multiple intakes are done out in the open (cafeteria style), and almost everyone handling your paperwork is YOUNG. In short, there's really no organization or discipline in that office. So you can imagine why it's so hard for you to get a hold of someone.

I avoid Mondays, early mornings and around lunch time. I'm not sure how many people you've come across, but I've left dozens of calls, and I've also followed up each call with an email that has everyone cc'd on it that I've dealt with during the lottery process for both 38 Sixth and 535 Carlton (I'm in both lotteries).

And I agree with Aquarius37 below, they're really just asking for documents to keep you in rotation. Unless they ask you to come in to sign an affidavit so that your documents can be sent to HDC (which is the final approval body involved in the lottery) AND they tell you that HDC approved you, you're stuck in purgatory.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:50 PM

Just to add: I was rejected by MHANY earlier this year, and didn't think twice about it. But upon close inspection, the rejection letter was actually addressed to someone else with a different log #. MHANY had made a huge mistake! I called and emailed them, and it took them TWO WEEKS to cross check their work and to acknowledge their mistake. That's some sloppy office management right there.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowIsThisAffordable View Post
I don't know if you've gone to MHANY for the in-person intake, but that office is chaotic. Equipment and furniture in there are very old and dilapidated, multiple intakes are done out in the open (cafeteria style), and almost everyone handling your paperwork is YOUNG. In short, there's really no organization or discipline in that office. So you can imagine why it's so hard for you to get a hold of someone.

I avoid Mondays, early mornings and around lunch time. I'm not sure how many people you've come across, but I've left dozens of calls, and I've also followed up each call with an email that has everyone cc'd on it that I've dealt with during the lottery process for both 38 Sixth and 535 Carlton (I'm in both lotteries).
Yeah i had my interview there in July. Because my interviewer left, I have no one's email anymore and just the first name of the girl who called. I asked her repeatedly for her last name and email but she kept telling me over and over to just call the number to let her know when I sent my docs so she could look for them. I didn't want to press too hard and get her annoyed with me and just dump my file in the rejected pile.

The management company emailed me initially for the first set of missing docs and then two clarification calls for diff docs from MHANY. I have tried calling multiple times during multiple times and days and cannot even get to a place that allows me to leave a message. I just bounce around from automated message to automated message. Literally no option to connect me with anything or anyone that doesn't end in a "We're sorry you are having trouble. Goodbye."

I've been calling the 718-246-8080 number. Any suggestions for an alternate line?

I'm also randomly in the lottery for 330 Bond, but that one was an interview request direct from the management company - MHANY was not involved. So not sure if that's a plus or not either.

Whole thing is mind-numbingly inefficient and stressful. Feels like waiting for someone to contact you about a job interview.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:12 AM

I've used the same number but the extensions I used were 275 or 297. Hope you get through to someone!

Old 09-14-2017, 09:21 AM

9 posts, read 18,689 times
I got a call from MHANY yesterday (from the main number) inviting me for an "apartment viewing". The first two dates for that are Friday (tomorrow) and Monday.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowIsThisAffordable View Post
I've used the same number but the extensions I used were 275 or 297. Hope you get through to someone!
Thanks so much! Fingers crossed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery