Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2017, 07:55 AM

29 posts, read 38,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowanusdweller View Post
Here's an update that may give everyone some insight into the status of things. This was a crazy week for me - I was called Wed night by MHANY and told that my application was approved the HDC. After going through the same process for a full year with the 365 Bond lottery (my application is still lost in the mystery world of HDC there) and then going through the process again with this lottery, I'm still in a state of shock. I've been on this forum for a while and I know the horrors people go through. One has to be beyond lucky to get to this point (I know it's not over til' I sign a lease so I'm knocking on wood rt now). I think the most frustrating part of this process is not knowing what's going - waiting indefinitely is extremely difficult for people, especially when you have leases and lives to plan. Hopefully as the city does more of these they will look at forums like this and see that communication can be approved tremendously.

Anyway, I was already scheduled to view an apt yesterday so it went from viewing a possible apt I might get to seeing the actual apt I was just approved for. I was shown two different apts (both 1 bedrooms) on the 4th floor, one faced the back of the building and the other faced the front. The apt's were pretty identical in size and layout, except the window layout on the back one was a little nicer. The apts are not huge (as you could expect in a 298 unit building) but they are nice and brand new of course. They have wood floors, open kitchens with lots of cabinets and counter space, the bathrooms are modern and nice looking with tiled floors. There was a good sized walk-in closet and an additional closet in the bedroom. The bedrooms are small - I think a queen size bed will pretty much fill the room, but I ain't complaining. The one thing they clearly saved money on are the heating/ac units. Each room as one - they are big and stick out a good 2 feet into the room and go down to the floor and pretty ugly looking. This was their solution to not having central air I guess.

The building is definitely still very much under construction, but from what I could tell it's mainly finishing touches. For example, the floors in the lobby are not done but they are hanging the chandeliers (the lobby looks like it will be nice). I'm sure the higher floors still have a lot of work to be done. The realtor told me they have a certificate of occupancy to fill the first 9 floors. There is only ONE person moved-in and living in the building right now but they are looking to move-in people as fast as they can, so I would expect March and April to see a flurry of activity. Now I'm waiting to hear from the developer, I have no idea when I may be asked to sign a lease and move-in. I'll keep everyone updated as the process moves forward. Good luck and keep your heads up.
Bravooooooo!

Gives me hope!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 08:20 AM

11 posts, read 24,456 times
I don't think so but I'm not entirely sure how this whole process works.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:36 AM

30 posts, read 49,741 times
Loving these updates. Hope is in the air.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:03 AM

11 posts, read 24,722 times
Let's hope that we're all blessed or at least most of us (the ones that are in dire need) gets approved for a unit. I haven't gotten any calls or emails about being waitlisted and maybe that's because I have no preference. I'm in the income band of 39- 43500, for my son & I. I'm still praying that I get approved for this and that it would be the 2 bedroom I need. This process is so frustrating and the city needs to do something in terms of updates and transparency when it comes to these lotteries. Again, I'm not in any preference bracket and my log # is 9xx. Anyone with similar situation care to share a little insight with their process thus far? Thank you

Old 02-24-2017, 02:51 PM

24 posts, read 39,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowanusdweller View Post
Here's an update that may give everyone some insight into the status of things. This was a crazy week for me - I was called Wed night by MHANY and told that my application was approved the HDC. After going through the same process for a full year with the 365 Bond lottery (my application is still lost in the mystery world of HDC there) and then going through the process again with this lottery, I'm still in a state of shock. I've been on this forum for a while and I know the horrors people go through. One has to be beyond lucky to get to this point (I know it's not over til' I sign a lease so I'm knocking on wood rt now). I think the most frustrating part of this process is not knowing what's going - waiting indefinitely is extremely difficult for people, especially when you have leases and lives to plan. Hopefully as the city does more of these they will look at forums like this and see that communication can be approved tremendously.

Anyway, I was already scheduled to view an apt yesterday so it went from viewing a possible apt I might get to seeing the actual apt I was just approved for. I was shown two different apts (both 1 bedrooms) on the 4th floor, one faced the back of the building and the other faced the front. The apt's were pretty identical in size and layout, except the window layout on the back one was a little nicer. The apts are not huge (as you could expect in a 298 unit building) but they are nice and brand new of course. They have wood floors, open kitchens with lots of cabinets and counter space, the bathrooms are modern and nice looking with tiled floors. There was a good sized walk-in closet and an additional closet in the bedroom. The bedrooms are small - I think a queen size bed will pretty much fill the room, but I ain't complaining. The one thing they clearly saved money on are the heating/ac units. Each room as one - they are big and stick out a good 2 feet into the room and go down to the floor and pretty ugly looking. This was their solution to not having central air I guess.

The building is definitely still very much under construction, but from what I could tell it's mainly finishing touches. For example, the floors in the lobby are not done but they are hanging the chandeliers (the lobby looks like it will be nice). I'm sure the higher floors still have a lot of work to be done. The realtor told me they have a certificate of occupancy to fill the first 9 floors. There is only ONE person moved-in and living in the building right now but they are looking to move-in people as fast as they can, so I would expect March and April to see a flurry of activity. Now I'm waiting to hear from the developer, I have no idea when I may be asked to sign a lease and move-in. I'll keep everyone updated as the process moves forward. Good luck and keep your heads up.
Awesome and congratulations!!!

What I gathered from your posts overall is the following:

Log# 1,XXX w/ CB Preference
Self Employed (No Employment Verification form needed)

11/2: 1st Interview
January: Rejection & appeal based on identification
2/2: second interview & documents sent to the city for review
2/22: Notified of city approval
2/23: Apartment viewed

Let me know if I missed something. Congratulations, again!

Old 02-26-2017, 05:23 PM

125 posts, read 364,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4567 View Post
I would be interested in seeing data from these lotteries besides how many people applied. How many were asked for an intake interview? How many completed the intake process? How many were submitted to the city for approval, how many were approved/denied by the city, and finally how many were offered a unit- accepted or denied?
I agree, we have a right to know this info and it should be released by each developer

Old 02-28-2017, 09:53 AM

5 posts, read 40,449 times
When I went on my interview back in December, I had just started a new job. They rejected all by pay stubs from my previous employer and kept just the two I had already received from my new employer. Last week I got a call from my previous employer letting me know he got a letter for employment verification, even though I no longer work there and they have my W-2's for both places. I'm trying to stay hopeful but it all seems a little messy.

Not to mention they suggested I just continue to send in pay stubs. It took me 3 months to gather what they needed. Doesn't seem logical that since not everyone get paid every week.

Lots of luck to everyone!

Old 02-28-2017, 11:47 AM

29 posts, read 38,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown200 View Post
When I went on my interview back in December, I had just started a new job. They rejected all by pay stubs from my previous employer and kept just the two I had already received from my new employer. Last week I got a call from my previous employer letting me know he got a letter for employment verification, even though I no longer work there and they have my W-2's for both places. I'm trying to stay hopeful but it all seems a little messy.

Not to mention they suggested I just continue to send in pay stubs. It took me 3 months to gather what they needed. Doesn't seem logical that since not everyone get paid every week.

Lots of luck to everyone!
Uptown, what date was your intake? Also, what is your log #? Don't post the whole thing, just the first number followed by X's.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:14 PM

965 posts, read 1,118,917 times
To be quite frank, they should have allotted the 61 units for Band 5 to Band 3, and the 7 units for Band 3 to Band 5.

Band 3 always seem to be screwed no matter how you slice it. Way more people in the city are making that amount, with way less units to go around. If you're single, making six figures, your need for affordable housing is substantially lower (if you live within your means of course), than let's say, someone making $50K with a kid.

A person making $100K should ideally pay $2,500 in rent. There's no shortage of apartments at that price in the city.
Now at $50K that price is slashed in half at $1,250. Where on Earth can you find an apartment at that price that isn't in the heart of a bad hood, or way out in the boondocks?!

Not saying six figure people SHOULDN'T be able to apply for affordable housing. But when it comes down to the amount of units they allocate to them, it's just way too skewed.

Everytime I see a building that caters to all bands, the 100% (Band 3) are ALWAYS in the singles of digits.
"Here, let's allocate 6 one-bedrooms for Band 3. Good luck!"
There is not one building that offers a double digit unit allocation for singles in Band 3. Not one. Or not one I can find, at least.

I myself am in the 60% which is always plentiful in units available. It breaks my heart to go through these threads sometimes because of the sheer amount of Band 3 posters not catching a break.

Don't make enough for market rate.
Make too much for subsidies / assistance.

Then when you apply to Housing Connect you have to vie against 10's of thousands of other people for 3 units.
Half of that which goes to community preference. Good Lord.

Old 02-28-2017, 01:25 PM

30 posts, read 49,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonHD4250 View Post
To be quite frank, they should have allotted the 61 units for Band 5 to Band 3, and the 7 units for Band 3 to Band 5.

Band 3 always seem to be screwed no matter how you slice it. Way more people in the city are making that amount, with way less units to go around. If you're single, making six figures, your need for affordable housing is substantially lower (if you live within your means of course), than let's say, someone making $50K with a kid.

A person making $100K should ideally pay $2,500 in rent. There's no shortage of apartments at that price in the city.
Now at $50K that price is slashed in half at $1,250. Where on Earth can you find an apartment at that price that isn't in the heart of a bad hood, or way out in the boondocks?!

Not saying six figure people SHOULDN'T be able to apply for affordable housing. But when it comes down to the amount of units they allocate to them, it's just way too skewed.

Everytime I see a building that caters to all bands, the 100% (Band 3) are ALWAYS in the singles of digits.
"Here, let's allocate 6 one-bedrooms for Band 3. Good luck!"
There is not one building that offers a double digit unit allocation for singles in Band 3. Not one. Or not one I can find, at least.

I myself am in the 60% which is always plentiful in units available. It breaks my heart to go through these threads sometimes because of the sheer amount of Band 3 posters not catching a break.

Don't make enough for market rate.
Make too much for subsidies / assistance.

Then when you apply to Housing Connect you have to vie against 10's of thousands of other people for 3 units.
Half of that which goes to community preference. Good Lord.
Well said. The band 3 allotment is terribly skewed. I haven't seen any buildings with a reasonable allotment of units for the 80-100% AMI either. It's ridiculous. And they're saying whoever didn't get in 535 Carlton, to apply for 38 6th Ave as though that is not the same exact issue smh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery