Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2017, 10:59 AM

74 posts, read 132,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Nia View Post
Yes, I received the email blast placing me on the waiting list.

I know that nothing is guaranteed until move in. What I meant was, first round applicants, at this point, should either be still in consideration or rejected, then second round and so on. To place first round applicants on a waiting list, to me, means tons of excessive applicants with preference (since thats what first round was) were pulled with absolutely no correlation to the amount of available apartments.

For example, if there are 10 apartments available for a given bracket-- pull 10 applicants then an additional lets say 5-10 applicants for backup. Dont pull 100 back up applicants for merely 10 apartments is my point. Process those 15-20 applicants to the level of either approved or final rejection. And continue that process until the building is full. Dont blindsightedly pull a billion applicants knowing very well it is "excessive" to whats available even with consideration of applicants declining, rejected, etc.

And based on the previous post here...quite a few of us received that blast waiting list email and that of course doesnt even account for the tons of people not on this thread. There are sensible measures for things and then there are insensible measures so if this is what 535 Carlton did, then it was the latter. This creates a domino effect of wasted time and false hope because now, if first round applicants are on the waiting list, in respective brackets, then second round applicants, general pool, etc. All of those applicants, in respective their brackets, are placed on the waiting list too. This is EXACTLY what causes these lotteries to have backup waiting list for years, YEARS! The waiting list would be so long that management/the city would declare these buildings closed to new applicants because they have enough applicants on the waiting list to last years. I think THAT is insane.
The difficult part is they don't know people's income till they have people come in with their documents. I thought my income was X and after reading the marketing guidance I realized it wasn't that at all. So they front load the process knowing lots of people's income won't match what was on the application and someone's income can change from the date the application closed to the date them come in for an intake. I'm not sure if calling people in 5 at a time would be efficient at all for such a small staff. What you are suggesting would be a labor intensive process and would take longer.

If you were in band three there were 10 available apartments the odds were never really in your favor. It's just a lot of luck and financial things aligning to get one of these apartments. And honestly, there is no way to ever run these lotteries in a way that will make the people applying, the organization running the lotteries, the developers, and the city all happy, the only happy people are the people that end up with a unit, until the abatements expire and the apartments can return to market rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 11:31 AM

30 posts, read 49,869 times
I get what you're saying but that still doesn't justify pulling an overwhelming load of applicants just to place them on the waiting list. If there are merely 10 units, and only 50% is for CB (5). How is it at all efficient and sensible to fully interview and drag along HUNDREDS if not thousands of applicants. Once their income and brackets were determined (intake interview) and everything else is satisfied (credit, etc), by batches of a "reasonable" amount, applicants should then be put ahead to final approval or final rejection.

If for no other reason, mathematically alone, by lets say 50 or even 100.... you are bound to satisfy the threshold of 5 interested qualifed applicants well before reaching the 500th applicant no less the thousandth.

Nothing justifies pulling an overwhelming load of applicants with no correlation to the threshold. Total waste of time and certainly not efficient.

But I agree with your statement that the odds were never really in my favor for my bracket. Band 2 would've been better luck for sure.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I get what you're saying but that still doesn't justify pulling an overwhelming load of applicants just to place them on the waiting list. If there are merely 10 units, and only 50% is for CB (5). How is it at all efficient and sensible to fully interview and drag along HUNDREDS if not thousands of applicants. Once their income and brackets were determined (intake interview) and everything else is satisfied (credit, etc), by batches of a "reasonable" amount, applicants should then be put ahead to final approval or final rejection.

If for no other reason, mathematically alone, by lets say 50 or even 100.... you are bound to satisfy the threshold of 5 interested qualifed applicants well before reaching the 500th applicant no less the thousandth.

Nothing justifies pulling an overwhelming load of applicants with no correlation to the threshold. Total waste of time and certainly not efficient.

But I agree with your statement that the odds were never really in my favor for my bracket. Band 2 would've been better luck for sure.
I would be interested in seeing data from these lotteries besides how many people applied. How many were asked for an intake interview? How many completed the intake process? How many were submitted to the city for approval, how many were approved/denied by the city, and finally how many were offered a unit- accepted or denied?

Old 02-23-2017, 12:25 PM

Exactly. I'm with you. So people can see that on top of having a miracle of a chance to be selected in the lottery in the first place. It's another miracle just to make it through with an apartment, even if you're fully qualified, and that's the part that isn't sensible.

If you were selected, met all the requirements, then you should get an apartment. Period. It shouldn't be if you were selected, met all the requirements, and still have to wait on pure luck just to get an apartment. They are pulling far too many applicants if a waiting list is already in the making. I even heard they were sending out rejection letters by the hundreds just to filter the list. Yes, that's what an employee at the office told me. And I believe her. Because I also called before my meeting and another employee said the same thing, that the rejections were intentional.

They pulled FAR too many applicants. It's insane.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:56 PM

24 posts, read 39,859 times
Quote:
Yes, I received the email blast placing me on the waiting list.

I know that nothing is guaranteed until move in. What I meant was, first round applicants, at this point, should either be still in consideration or rejected, then second round and so on. To place first round applicants on a waiting list, to me, means tons of excessive applicants with preference (since thats what first round was) were pulled with absolutely no correlation to the amount of available apartments.

For example, if there are 10 apartments available for a given bracket-- pull 10 applicants then an additional lets say 5-10 applicants for backup. Dont pull 100 back up applicants for merely 10 apartments is my point. Process those 15-20 applicants to the level of either approved or final rejection. And continue that process until the building is full. Dont blindsightedly pull a billion applicants knowing very well it is "excessive" to whats available even with consideration of applicants declining, rejected, etc.

And based on the previous post here...quite a few of us received that blast waiting list email and that of course doesnt even account for the tons of people not on this thread. There are sensible measures for things and then there are insensible measures so if this is what 535 Carlton did, then it was the latter. This creates a domino effect of wasted time and false hope because now, if first round applicants are on the waiting list, in respective brackets, then second round applicants, general pool, etc. All of those applicants, in respective their brackets, are placed on the waiting list too. This is EXACTLY what causes these lotteries to have backup waiting list for years, YEARS! The waiting list would be so long that management/the city would declare these buildings closed to new applicants because they have enough applicants on the waiting list to last years. I think THAT is insane.
The amount of applications they pull is 10 or 20 times the amount of apartments they available. Many people upon closer examination are found ineligible, some people decline, some people's income change etc by the time their application is ready for review. And if they pulled 15 - 20 applicants for a specific band and none of them turned out to qualify, then they would have to pull more people again. Too long of a wait.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:03 PM

24 posts, read 39,859 times
Quote:
Exactly. I'm with you. So people can see that on top of having a miracle of a chance to be selected in the lottery in the first place. It's another miracle just to make it through with an apartment, even if you're fully qualified, and that's the part that isn't sensible.

If you were selected, met all the requirements, then you should get an apartment. Period. It shouldn't be if you were selected, met all the requirements, and still have to wait on pure luck just to get an apartment. They are pulling far too many applicants if a waiting list is already in the making. I even heard they were sending out rejection letters by the hundreds just to filter the list. Yes, that's what an employee at the office told me. And I believe her. Because I also called before my meeting and another employee said the same thing, that the rejections were intentional.

They pulled FAR too many applicants. It's insane.
If you can accept that being selected simply means you were qualified for review then maybe you can adjust your expectations and hope won't be a factor. 4567 is right in that there are many things that have to be aligned for you to get the apartment including things you have no control over - log number and city approval. So you can't control your chances of winning. It's a gamble.

If you were selected, met all the requirements, then you should get an apartment.<-- This includes the city reviewing the application. That's a process within itself and takes time. And if the city doesn't approve, back to the drawing board? That 2-10 months would turn into years!

Old 02-23-2017, 01:44 PM

11 posts, read 24,506 times
So here's an update I received a call informing me I qualify for the third band of the 1 bedroom apts or 4th band for the studio apts after calculation of my income which was way off. The studios and one bedrooms are completely full for the third band and she gave me an option to either be waitlist or approve further processing for a studio at $1700

Old 02-23-2017, 01:50 PM

I think my point was missed but ok. They would not be going back to "square one" with the example I gave. I also read the HPD's manual for these lotteries and what I said is actually laid out in the manual where "small batches" are sent for approval and then forward another small batch. But for argument sake, even if they continue the process as they are.... what they are doing is actually not efficient. And even they are taking measures to DRASTICALLY cut the list. Why is that? ....there are far too many applicants that were pulled in the first place. That was my only point. I agree with everything else.

The 2-10 months is for the "entire" process, from advertising. Not from the stage of intake interviews; based on HPDs manual. So I'm not sure why there seems to be jabs at my "expectations" when all I asked was why did they pull so many applicants. But again, ok. Good luck to everyone. I'll still be on top of my status.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting-game View Post
So here's an update I received a call informing me I qualify for the third band of the 1 bedroom apts or 4th band for the studio apts after calculation of my income which was way off. The studios and one bedrooms are completely full for the third band and she gave me an option to either be waitlist or approve further processing for a studio at $1700
Wow, that's interesting. Are you going to be able to tour a unit? What is your general log number?

Old 02-23-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting-game View Post
Lovely! See this is what I'm talking about. This makes sense. Give people options with wait-listing be the ultimate option if not final rejection. Something.

Waiting games....thanks for your update
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery