Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 08:44 AM

13 posts, read 48,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVNYC View Post
hello everyone, my niece and nephew applied to East Midtown Plaza, and he got called for an apt. offered a duplex. very nice.. luckiest kids in the world.
Congratulations to your niece and nephew! May I ask is this a part of two-bed room lottery they applied last year in October? And "duplex" means two units next to each other, or one unit with stairway between floors? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 11:55 AM

576 posts, read 1,547,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evillager View Post
Congratulations to your niece and nephew! May I ask is this a part of two-bed room lottery they applied last year in October? And "duplex" means two units next to each other, or one unit with stairway between floors? Thanks.
Those 2 bedrooms are one unit with stairway between floors.. not huge Apts but they are decent size.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemsone View Post
Those 2 bedrooms are one unit with stairway between floors.. not huge Apts but they are decent size.
Thanks for clarifying, meemsone. My# is right behind yours, in 90s. I am wondering if you have any idea on how long the wait will be... I will contact them in the end of this year. Best luck to you!

Old 04-02-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evillager View Post
Thanks for clarifying, meemsone. My# is right behind yours, in 90s. I am wondering if you have any idea on how long the wait will be... I will contact them in the end of this year. Best luck to you!
Congrats to you. Honestly I Have No idea. Maybe we will be lucky and it will move pretty fast. I am on another Mitchel llama list for a Brooklyn apt and it hasn't moved in the last year and a half. But it's also a smaller complex. So I'm being optimistic and hoping we will get called within the next few years. But there's no real way to be 100% sure. I also plan on calling and checking by the end of this year. Good luck to you and everyone else waiting to get in.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsar1974 View Post
We received the letter back in January...#24....do you think we can call the management to see what number is up next?
I think you have a pretty good chance of getting called before the end of this year. Good Luck!

Old 04-12-2014, 08:23 PM

353 posts, read 1,007,328 times
zoey - I moved into my wife's apartment in EMP after we married so I can't tell you much about the procedure. The neighborhood and the buildings are very safe. Guards manage the entryways during the day and only people with keys can get in during the late night/early morning hours when the guards are no longer at the door. Other guards do roam the area at night though. The management office works for the co-op shareholders so they need to be friendly. I have been in several other apartments in the surrounding area (Gramercy, Stuyvesant Town/Peter Cooper Village, Kips Bay) and this is among the nicest. We have lived in two apartments, a one-bedroom and now a two-bedroom. The one bedroom was about 600 square feet. It had a galley kitchen, a bedroom and bathroom that all fed into the living room. A terrace was off of the living room (some terraces are enclosed giving another room or acting as an extension of the living room). The 2-bedroom unit is closer to 1,000 square feet. It has a galley kitchen, a foyer, a 12x28 living room, one bathroom and a 8x11 terrace off of the living room. The apartment is el-shaped and a hallway leads from the foyer to the bedroom/bathroom area while another hallway leads to the kitchen/living room area. Not all apartments are the same. Some are two level duplexes that feed off of a outside walkway (no common hallway) so you have more privacy. A studio I saw had a hallway that led from the entry, a galley kitchen off of the hallway, a combination living room/bedroom and a bathroom. I'm guessing it is about 400 square feet. I also saw a 4 bedroom that was at least 1500 square feet with two bathrooms, a large foyer, a galley kitchen, a large living room, a dining room and a terrace.

Last edited by fyrisle; 04-12-2014 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 04-12-2014, 08:52 PM

My sister-in-law had about a 5 year wait to get into EMP. This probably took longer than normal because a privatization vote to leave the Mitchell-Lama program had occurred and results were disputed in the courts for a few years. During that time, new residents were not moving in.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemsone View Post
I think you have a pretty good chance of getting called before the end of this year. Good Luck!
They said #24 was called last week when I contacted the office. Good luck to everyone on the list.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:27 AM

3 posts, read 10,696 times
Hello all,

Can some one that already got one of these apartments tell me how everything works and what is the exact current price for the apartments and how much on average they pay for everything a month (including maintenance, mortgage, etc.) how much percentage to put down. I have no idea how it works and I want to plan ahead for when I get called. Thank you!

Old 06-30-2014, 09:00 AM

It works just like any other co-op where you make a monthly maintenance payment along with electric. You also pay a couple thousand in real estate tax at the end of the year. The price varies according to your income. Somebody who made about $62,000 of taxable income was paying about $600/month total before the recession. Another family that has about $95,000 in taxable income was recently paying about $1000/month. They recently doubled the amount you are required to put down though I can't tell you how much that would be. A wild guess may be $40,000 down. You should probably call to get info on that.

if issues arise you can have maintenance come to make repairs. If the problem is internal, you are liable for the cost while the co-op as a whole pays for problems that lie beyond your walls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery