Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 07:18 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times

Advertisements

So I did my weekly shop at Mauricio's at 108th and First and walked over to Second Avenue to catch the M15 back downtown.
The bus stop is right in front of a VERY large housing complex extending between 106th and 108th and Second and Third Aves.(Office is right at 108th and Second.)
I assumed it was NYCHA but it was nicer than that and the handymen had uniforms that said Franklin-something COOPERATIVE housing. So I asked a couple people if the place was a Mitchell lama Co-op and they said it was.

I think there is no better deal for Joe Median than M-L housing and the co-ops are far better than the rentals.

So I went to the list of Mitchell-Lama complexes to see if the wating list is open and it is... for ALL size apartments (studio, one, two, and three, bedrooms.) I've never been inside but the place was built in 1960 and in 1960 they built apartments with LARGE rooms.

FRANKLIN PLAZA
2085 2nd Avenue
New York, New York 10029
212-369-3303

The neighborhood is not too bad although it is Spanish Harlem. But remember all your neighbors OWN their apartments. You have an M15 bus going down Second Ave. and three buses going North on Third Ave. (M101,102,103) and a crosstown at 106th.

Someday, hopefully soon, a subway will go down Second with a stop likely at 106th and the neighborhood will take off around you...and you will OWN so nobody to price you OUT.

Mitchell Lama typically tops out at about $49K income for one or two people, so a lot more helpful than 80/20's. Typically the cost of a ML co-op is between $10K and $15K with maintenance between $600 and $800 usually includng electricity...best deal in town.

Nothing to be lost by getting on a waiting list although there might be some kind of refundable application fee? Like $50 or $150...not sure.

Here's a good summary of what Mitchell Lama complexes are available in New York City and what their waiting list status is:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/hpd/download...sts-Status.pdf

Last edited by Kefir King; 08-03-2012 at 07:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 11:17 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,898 times
Good luck and I hope you get called soon. I live in a Mitchell Lama Co-op and although they aren't always the most beautiful buildings from the outside they are generally well maintained on the inside -- and tenets respect the buildings. Being an owner instead of a renter makes all the difference IMO. You also have more freedom to renovate the place if you want.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:26 PM

Not for me ,barkomatic...but I thougt somebody might find the info useful.
I am well settled.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:54 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Not for me ,barkomatic...but I thougt somebody might find the info useful.
I am well settled.

Thanks KK. This is very useful info for me.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:08 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,997 times
How does the process work? Do you just write to the address, and request an application? I'd be very interested in this...

Old 08-04-2012, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
How does the process work? Do you just write to the address, and request an application? I'd be very interested in this...
You may have to work it a bit because everybody in ML tries to get friends and relatives in. So go to the complex, walk around and see if it suits you, go to the Management Office and sign onto the waiting list (or get an application and mail it in.)
If they tell you that the list is CLOSED, then call HPD and tell them you want onto the list that their website shows as OPEN.
Be pushy and don't take no for an answer. Follow up on everything. Get your wailing list number and call them frequently to see how you are progressing.

If you file for a bunch of them keep good records of every call, your position on waiting list, etc. Get the manager's e-mail addy, verify all phone calls calls with e-mail.

Eventually you will get in and MANY of the problems associated with life in NYC (all housing related) will melt away.

Notice on the big list whether a complex takes federal money or loans. If they DO, they cannot discriminate against anyone because of residency anywhere in USA, If they DO NOT take federal money, they can and WILL restrict admission to New York residents. This is useful info if you live in NJ or CT.

Last edited by Kefir King; 08-04-2012 at 06:21 AM..

Old 08-04-2012, 10:45 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
I have in laws that live there...I've never been in their apartment but I've walked around the complex and been in 1 of the community rooms a few times.

Franklin Plaza was originally part of NYCHA. They were supposed to be Benjamin Franklin Houses when they were first built, which is why they really look like NYCHA (especially the lobbies). But they switched to Mitchell Lama when they were 1st built, and went co-op. I believe the switch happened before anybody moved in.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-05-2012, 12:13 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,997 times
Thanks, KK! I'm in the process of trying to get myself settled somewhere before the subway is completed - if I don't, I'll be priced out of the UES.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:45 AM

Thanks for the background Seventh Floor...so that's co-op since 1960 then.
Did that transition from planned NYCHA happen in any other developments that you knoww of?

Franklin must have been one of the very first since Mitchell-Lama was only conceived in 1955 (The Limited-Profit Housing Companies Act) and lead time for these developments HAS to be a couple years.

Quote:
from Liz:
Thanks, KK! I'm in the process of trying to get myself settled somewhere before the subway is completed
So that probably gives you until about 2030 then.
Let us know how the application process went it you give Franklin Plaza a shot.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:27 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Thanks for the background Seventh Floor...so that's co-op since 1960 then.
Did that transition from planned NYCHA happen in any other developments that you knoww of?

Franklin must have been one of the very first since Mitchell-Lama was only conceived in 1955 (The Limited-Profit Housing Companies Act) and lead time for these developments HAS to be a couple years.

So that probably gives you until about 2030 then.
Let us know how the application process went it you give Franklin Plaza a shot.
I don't know of any others. Through recognizing NYCHA architecture, a little research on the Department of Buildings website and a little Googling is how I found out. I will try to do some more research and see if there are any others. I totally forgot about the SAS. That's gonna be a sweet middle class place to live when it's finished. They have a parking lot too.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery