Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,088 times

Advertisements

Crime buffs may be interested to know that Bonnie and Clyde met their sad end in Sailes, Louisiana. I stumbled across this blog recently. I had no idea! Moderator cut: no ads

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-26-2012 at 01:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 11:05 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,951,613 times
Henry Morgan Stanley- who was said to have uttered the words "Dr. Livingston(e), I presume"- was a New Orleans resident, and took the name of an older man, a New Orleans merchant, who took him in and gave him the elder's name. There is a plaque outside a house on Coliseum Square where he once lived.

Adding this after I read his Wikipedia entry: he was joined on one of his expeditions by James Jameson, "heir to an Irish whiskey fortune", who was apparently not a very nice man.

Last edited by Neworleansisprettygood; 12-05-2012 at 11:14 PM..

Old 12-20-2012, 10:06 PM

Another little tidbit I learned tonight from talking to my mom:

There was a famous chef here named Madame Biguet, and she is credited as inventing the brunch. I know that seems a lot like inventing rubber floormats, but anybody somewhat familiar with the city knows how seriously we take our brunches.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:14 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,302,299 times
The New Orleans Axman

The Axeman of New Orleans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Serial murderer in early 20th century New Orleans.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
The New Orleans Axman

The Axeman of New Orleans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Serial murderer in early 20th century New Orleans.
That's a good one... I remember reading about that 2 or 3 years ago and being scared all night...

Old 12-21-2012, 11:24 PM

814 posts, read 1,477,795 times
A dentist in New Orleans invented floss.
The History of Dental Floss by Oral-B

The last major outbreak of Yellow Fever in the United States took place in New Orleans in 1905.

"Tulane's School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine is the oldest school of public health in the country and the only American school of tropical medicine".
Tulane University - About | Global Health Initiatives | Global Health Program | What Is Global Health

New Orleans was also home to the first movie theather dedicated to only showing movies in 1896. At least I think it was since a lot of these websites seem to vary.
first movie theater - Google Search

New Orleans was one of the five major ports of arrival for immigrants in the 19th and 20th centuries.
Tips for Determining Your Ancestor's Port of Arrival in the US

For most of the period of 1837 to 1860 New Orleans attracted more immigrants than any other city in the country besides New York. And in 1851 New Orleans had 52,011 immigrants arrive which is almost the same number as recorded by Boston, Philadelphia, and Baltimore combined. New Orleans was most likely the most diverse city in the country in the period around 1850. Also only 26% of the 1850 population was born in the city or state. I got that information from a book.

There is also the connection of the JFK assassination with Lee Harvey Oswald and the Mafia conspiracy through Carlos Marcello.

Last edited by Jimbo_1; 12-22-2012 at 12:06 AM..

Old 01-28-2013, 01:20 PM

Just found out the K&B building on Lee Circle was designed by I.M. Pei.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Just found out the K&B building on Lee Circle was designed by I.M. Pei.
I would rather the original building that once stood there. It was the main branch of the public library and built in 1908.
File:Public Library NOLA Detroit Pub.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also related to famous architects.

Louis Sullivan designed the former Union train station (Frank Llyod Wright contributed to the design). It was the only station that Sullivan ever designed and it was built in 1892. The newer Union Station replaced it in the 1950s.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_iLSmTPwJGZ...4/s1600/27.jpg

Henry Hobson Richardson was born in St. James Parish and grew up in New Orleans. The style of architecture called Richardsonian Romanesque (which is a type of Romanesque Revival architecutre) is named after him.
Example in New Orleans: http://media-cache-ec5.pinterest.com...V6iNnyXZ_c.jpg (he did not design this one and I don't think he ever designed one in New Orleans)

Old 01-28-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
I would rather the original building that once stood there. It was the main branch of the public library and built in 1908.
File:Public Library NOLA Detroit Pub.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also related to famous architects.

Louis Sullivan designed the former Union train station (Frank Llyod Wright contributed to the design). It was the only station that Sullivan ever designed and it was built in 1892. The newer Union Station replaced it in the 1950s.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_iLSmTPwJGZ...4/s1600/27.jpg

Henry Hobson Richardson was born in St. James Parish and grew up in New Orleans. The style of architecture called Richardsonian Romanesque (which is a type of Romanesque Revival architecutre) is named after him.
Example in New Orleans: http://media-cache-ec5.pinterest.com...V6iNnyXZ_c.jpg (he did not design this one)
That's my favorite house in the world. I cheat on it sometimes, but my love remains true.

Didn't know that Richardson was from here. Did he actually design anything here?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Old 01-28-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
That's my favorite house in the world. I cheat on it sometimes, but my love remains true.

Didn't know that Richardson was from here. Did he actually design anything here?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
I found this quote on the Wikipedia page:

"The Patrick F. Taylor Library, formerly known as the Howard Memorial Library, was built soon after Richardson's death. It is sometimes called "the only Richardson building located in the South".[38] Residents of New Orleans had wanted an example of Richardson's work, a native son of New Orleans. The office of Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge used a Richardson design which had been submitted and rejected some years earlier for a library in Saginaw, Michigan. This leads some, particularly those in New Orleans, to argue that the building can be said to be by Richardson; the counter argument is that the design was not originally intended for this location and the building was constructed after Richardson's death with no input from the architect beyond the initial design. The library building is currently part of the Ogden Museum of Southern Art."
File:NOCBDTaylorLibrary30Nov07.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Henry Hobson Richardson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is another example in the city, Gibson Hall at Tulane.
File:Gibson Hall angle.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans