Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 05:08 PM

48 posts, read 120,980 times

Advertisements

As of the last few weeks, I have been fighting an intense mental battle over whether to leave this area permanently, or stay. (we live 30 minutes west of Covington, in the Ponchatoula/Hammond area) It's a good thing that, due to employment issues, we've got 3 to 5 years to really think hard on this, to really make an informed and educated decision..... I am glad for that, but I am angst ridden all the same. Because if we decide to leave, I will spend every moment of every day until that time moving toward that goal. It's a life changing decision, and I have (the proper raising of) a child to think about... are you suffering the same miseries we are, or have you been able to adjust??

POST KATRINA: What do you still love/like about New Orleans and the surrounding areas, what do you hate/dislike, and will you MOVE OR STAY as a result? There is no right or wrong here (please let's not argue), as this is all a matter of personal experience and preference, really.

Thanks (and thanks also to jguillot for the inspiration!),

J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 07:14 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,700,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamison View Post
As of the last few weeks, I have been fighting an intense mental battle over whether to leave this area permanently, or stay. (we live 30 minutes west of Covington, in the Ponchatoula/Hammond area) It's a good thing that, due to employment issues, we've got 3 to 5 years to really think hard on this, to really make an informed and educated decision..... I am glad for that, but I am angst ridden all the same. Because if we decide to leave, I will spend every moment of every day until that time moving toward that goal. It's a life changing decision, and I have (the proper raising of) a child to think about... are you suffering the same miseries we are, or have you been able to adjust??

POST KATRINA: What do you still love/like about New Orleans and the surrounding areas, what do you hate/dislike, and will you MOVE OR STAY as a result? There is no right or wrong here (please let's not argue), as this is all a matter of personal experience and preference, really.

Thanks (and thanks also to jguillot for the inspiration!),

J

As a Louisiana native and a former resident of the New Orleans metropolitan area (1962 to 1976), I hate seeing what has become of New Orleans since Hurricane Katrina. I don't think New Orleans will ever be the same. I totally understand why so many former residents have chosen not to return and why others plan to leave. Jamison, if you choose to leave, I totally understand. Even in the Ponchatoula/Hammond area, you could still be totally wiped out by another large hurricane. I have a cousin in the Slidell area who lost his home and an Aunt who lost her home in St. Bernard Parish. I love Louisiana, but I choose not to return there, except to visit relatives.

Last edited by jguillot; 08-30-2007 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: Corrected typo

Old 08-30-2007, 08:49 PM

OH WOW, I am SO SORRY for what your family has gone through. Slidell was wrecked by Katrina (Six Flags was submerged and, if I'm not mistaken, is now defunct) and St. Bernard parish, omg, I CRIED when I saw Aaron Broussard (the parish president) get on T.V. and beg the president for help. I cannot express how deeply seeing that man collapsing in GRIEF and SHOCK affected all of us. (it's something you NEVER see a public official do) He was overcome. It was unforgettable.

I am so comforted to receive your understanding. A part of me (I've always been inclined to doubt myself anyway) has questioned "Are things REALLY as bad as you think they are, or are you just hypersensitive and imagining things??" Yet you have seen the deterioration yourself, and you understand. Coming from a fellow native, that carries a lot of weight.

We moved here when I was 9, and I'll be 40 in a few days. I've been raised here. Both my parents have died here. (thank God, no, not by Katrina's hand) Because I feel that, in a sense, I am "leaving" them behind.... I need to know that I am not making a terrible mistake.

I'm pretty sure it was you, jguillot, who mentioned in another forum you had made a list of pros/cons regarding your relocation. You had numerous items listed under PRO, but only 3 or 4 under CON. This is when you knew it was time to go.

Sounds like me.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:09 PM

595 posts, read 2,343,902 times
I did not live here pre Katrina but chose not to move here before the storm simply because NOLA was a city in decline. I would visit 5+ times a year however.
I think there is more opportunity in New Orleans post K than before. It's a good place and a bad one at the same time. Jobs for what I do (IT) pay better here than in Atlanta, many colleges close by (I start back tomorrow), neighbors are nicer, and for me personally there is a quality of life here than is superior to Atlanta (but that life extends from the Quarter to Uptown occasional trips into Metarie). I don't often go too far into dead neighborhoods, I do find life in Lakeview, Gentilly, etc quite depressing, even just visiting.

I think the city is a good place in the typically high ground near the river and I would not trade it for the world.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:37 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,865,847 times
I live in Nola for a year in the late 90's and feel so badly about what happened to the area Don't even get me started on that...too sad. If it's any help, I made some friends while I lived there...natives to the area, born and bred. They both stayed. However, one had a son that was just graduating high school (he had to finish up in Baton Rouge) and the others don't have kids. I have not visited post Katrina but from what I've heard and seen on CNN, it looks horrible. My friends tell me that healthcare service are not up to par (even for people with money and insurance), that crime is worse and so on. You may want to move away to get your kids raised and perhaps move back for retirement? That may be a good option. I know its easier said than done and not living there, I could be wrong. People with kids have stayed so perhaps the area can still be great place to raise children. I really don't know.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:43 AM

14 posts, read 74,120 times
Hi there, I am a native of Louisiana. I grew up in North Louisiana and Baton Rouge, and then for the past 17 years I lived in New Orleans. This summer we moved to North Carolina. The quality of life here is much better than in New Orleans. My young son is like a different person. He is much happier here. Someone on a North Carolina City-Data board said children are highly esteemed here and I think that is true. There are so many activities for them here, and it seems to be a great place for kids to grow up. The public schools where we live are excellent.

The food is not as consistently good -- i.e., there aren't as many great restaurants. But I could stand to lose a few pounds, so that's ok. I am very glad we made the decision to leave. Certainly, there are some things we will miss about Louisiana (food!), but I think it is better for our kids to grow up without the post-Katrina stress. We considered relocating to Baton Rouge, but now I do not regret leaving the state. Things work so much more efficiently here. Right now, we couldn't be happier with our decision. Hope this helps.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:15 AM

1,323 posts, read 4,700,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampgrrl View Post
I did not live here pre Katrina but chose not to move here before the storm simply because NOLA was a city in decline. I would visit 5+ times a year however.
I think there is more opportunity in New Orleans post K than before. It's a good place and a bad one at the same time. Jobs for what I do (IT) pay better here than in Atlanta, many colleges close by (I start back tomorrow), neighbors are nicer, and for me personally there is a quality of life here than is superior to Atlanta (but that life extends from the Quarter to Uptown occasional trips into Metarie). I don't often go too far into dead neighborhoods, I do find life in Lakeview, Gentilly, etc quite depressing, even just visiting.

I think the city is a good place in the typically high ground near the river and I would not trade it for the world.

I'm happy to hear that you have found life to still be good in certain parts of the New Orleans area. Let's pray that there will be no more hurricanes hitting the New Orleans area. If that should happen again within the next few years, I fear that New Orleans will be no more.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:22 AM

595 posts, read 2,343,902 times
New Orleans will be here, but there is no life off the sliver by the river.

New orleans is now really 90% of it's pre 1920 boundary, on the high ground from the Bywater up to Uptown. I certainly would not live in a flooded area and I don't trust the levees but I feel pretty ok where I am now even with a hurricane.

New Orleans' new arrivals: Young, educated and infused with hope - CNN.com

Old 08-31-2007, 01:33 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,489,431 times
Jamison: You have been in such turmoilwith your decision. Let me tell you, when we decided to move from horrendous south Florida to Baton Rouge, we were scared, but had a good feeling. The reason we upped and moved away from Family was because my husband had gotten diagnosed with thyroid cancer and that was when we decided to live for ourselves, not for family or anyone else. Life is so short and any minute of the day, you could be gone just like that, so take chances in life-move if that is waht you really want to try. Listen, Jamison, you can always move back again, we have considered moving back to central Florida, but are not sure. Best to you!

Old 08-31-2007, 06:46 PM

THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR COMMENTS, THIS IS GREAT!!

Hi Vampgrrl: When I was in my teens and early to mid 20's, New Orleans was a fabulous adventure - we loved it, N'awlins ROCKED! (naturally it did - lots of drinking, Mardi Gras parades, take your top off and scream THROW ME SUMPIN' MISTAH!!, the French Quarter, all these things were mind blowing titillations) If my podnahs and me were still into those things (among many others not mentioned, like House of Shock, etc.) we would still be carousing up and down the cobbled streets of NOLA. I do have a theory.....

Please forgive my being forward - I don't mean to be - but I am guessing you probably aren't a day over 30, with no children yet. Is this right?? Everything really does come down to "What stage of life are you in?". I'm over here wondering whether I'm doing right by my child's future by keeping her here. Not to mention the evaluation of my own personal misery. I am very glad, though, that you've found a great spot to nestle into. I want this happiness for us, too, and I hope that life here is the best for you!

Hi lisak64: I know what you mean. The whole situation is heartbreaking. And you are totally right about the healthcare - did you know that sheriff Harry Lee has gone to Houma for his cancer treatments?? (I'm pretty sure they said Houma on the radio today) I know every case is special, but my dad (who had the same type of cancer) took his care at East Jeff and Ochsner.... but what does it mean when Harry Lee is going elsewhere?? (love that man, he is a kick!) Even though you realize you are a layman (and may not have all the facts), it still makes you wonder.

Yeah, I'm thinking we'll need to leave to give the daughter-child a decent place to live.... One thing about peeps staying here to raise kids, well, this area is predominantly Catholic and there are MANY private Catholic schools. We are Baptist, so.... that kinda broadens the educational buffet if you are Catholic, and narrows it if you're not. Ya know?

Hi etland: North Carolina sounds great!! I have also been exploring the idea of western NC, as close to the smokies as possible. Although my main focus has been on eastern TN, I am intrigued to hear anything (good or bad) regarding NC, too. One thing though, I can't be anywhere near the coast!! Home girl cannot handle anymore hurricanes, no thanks, uh uh, negative, no way!! Having never heard of it before, I was shocked to realize western NC actually has landslides!!! (possibly eastern TN, too) Gonna have to think real hard about precisely WHERE the house will be sitting if we move there. (LOL)

Quote: ".... but I could stand to lose a few pounds", ha ha ha ha!!!! That made me laugh out loud! Yeah, me too! And I am so happy for you, that you and your family love your new home. It must be AWESOME to wake up happy and content. (Jamison tries to remember what this is like.....)

Hi again jguillot/vampgrrl: J, I kinda agree with you, I don't see how NOLA would survive another hit like Katrina. Especially anytime in the near future. (shudder) But I applaud Vampgrrl's tenacity. (ha ha ha)

Hi Caa!! Yes, I have been in total turmoil!! Sometimes I feel really bad for getting on here and spewing hither and yon (LOL), but it's the only way I can make sense of and separate all this stuff in my head. You can't believe how much you ALL help, all of your comments make me think, and think, and think. (well, unless your name is "San Phlegmatico". Barf.) Your answers alone have helped me a great deal - in this, and other, forums.

My heart goes out to you and your husband, and I hope he is doing well now!! Have been through that twice (with my mom and dad) and, though I don't presume to know exactly how you feel, if you ever need to talk about anything, it would be my privilege to listen if that helps.

I am thinking of you.

J
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans