Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city does New Orleans share the most history with?
Haiti 31 59.62%
Paris 9 17.31%
Cuba 9 17.31%
Houston 13 25.00%
Atlanta 4 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 06:49 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times

Advertisements

I saw an article recently that said New Orleans has a stronger shared history with Haiti, Paris, and Cuba ...than it does with Houston or Atlanta. It was in response to New Orleans being a southern city.

Which of these cities/countries does it share the most relationship with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 08:47 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
I would say it's rather correct that New Orleans has more history with Port Au Prince and Havana. The French didn't own us for very long so I'm not so sure about that. I would also include the island of Sicily. New Orleans was a major immigration port and has a significant Sicilian population, 2nd largest in US, along with the many other immigrants and slaves that passed through the city.

Up until probably WWII I'd say that that idea is very true. Post-war is all about the regional ties. And I would say it has more "history" or ties with cities closer to it (Baton Rouge, Lafayette, Jackson, Mobile, etc.)

Old 09-11-2013, 11:13 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Just off the top of my head, as far as a U.S. city goes, I'd say Mobile.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:32 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
For a long time New Orleans was the biggest trading partner with Cuba right up until the revolution. Beyond the fact that during the Spanish rule of Louisiana there was a lot similarities with both Havana and New Orleans being colonial outposts(which resulted in much of the architecture of the French Quarter looking similar to other Spanish Caribbean cities in some ways) that actually saw their biggest boom years in the 19th Century(though after the Spanish/French colonial period for New Orleans).

As well the Afro-Cuban music had an influence on the development of jazz--Jelly Roll Morton himself cited the influence of the tresillo and habanera rhythms that he heard from Cuban musicians. There was some cultural relays between Havana and New Orleans through trade during this period.

You could make a case for some other cities in the South(or maybe Port-Au-Prince but I'm not as knowledgeable about Haiti), but I think New Orleans does have a unique historic link with Cuba.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:50 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times
Did not Haiti former slaves populate New Orleans early on after the Haitian Revolution?

Old 09-12-2013, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I saw an article recently that said New Orleans has a stronger shared history with Haiti, Paris, and Cuba ...than it does with Houston or Atlanta. It was in response to New Orleans being a southern city.

Which of these cities/countries does it share the most relationship with?
You are not slick.lol.Funny but not slick as you think.Nice try though.lol

Old 09-12-2013, 08:53 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
Historically, YES, I can see. 2 day, I'd say Miami has more of current commonality with Haiti, Paris, and Cuba. Doesn't make NO or Miami non-Southern in my eyes.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:04 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You are not slick.lol.Funny but not slick as you think.Nice try though.lol
Not sure what you mean? I didn't make this up... But I have heard similar things on the board before, then saw the article. So was just wondering if it's *only* in history, and if that history is still there among the populous/culture.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:25 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Did not Haiti former slaves populate New Orleans early on after the Haitian Revolution?
It was a mix of Creole whites and free Creole blacks(who themselves often owned slaves) and their slaves who fled to New Orleans around 1809 after they were expelled from Cuba--where they had fled previously to from Haiti after the Haitian Revolution. The influence from Haiti is largely of this Creole culture. It wasn't former slaves who fled it was the remnants of the upper class slaveholding society of Haiti that was destroyed after the Revolution there.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Not sure what you mean? I didn't make this up... But I have heard similar things on the board before, then saw the article. So was just wondering if it's *only* in history, and if that history is still there among the populous/culture.
Atlanta?Really?What ihistory other than the mention of it in Gone With The Wind would N.O. have with Atlanta?I figured you put there because you thought I or someone else would vote for Atlanta.Especially after that other thread.My mistake if I assumed incorrectly of your intentions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans