Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city does New Orleans share the most history with?
Haiti 31 59.62%
Paris 9 17.31%
Cuba 9 17.31%
Houston 13 25.00%
Atlanta 4 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 10:15 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,636,889 times

Advertisements

No, it's from an article.

Top 10 Annoying Stereotypes About New Orleans

We’re in the South and therefore behave like “Southerners”.

Excuse me while I put down my mint julep, button up my seersucker jacket and tell my twelve Baptist children to be quiet while I explain a little history to you. First of all, the South is a region with distinct, varied cultures. This diversity is especially obvious in New Orleans, a port city that has a stronger historical relationship with Haiti, Paris and Cuba than it does with Houston, Atlanta and most major Southern cities. Pick up Ned Sublette’s The World That Made New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 11:56 AM

14,256 posts, read 27,074,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
It was a mix of Creole whites and free Creole blacks(who themselves often owned slaves) and their slaves who fled to New Orleans around 1809 after they were expelled from Cuba--where they had fled previously to from Haiti after the Haitian Revolution. The influence from Haiti is largely of this Creole culture. It wasn't former slaves who fled it was the remnants of the upper class slaveholding society of Haiti that was destroyed after the Revolution there.
YEP. But Haiti was split into 2 different kingdoms within the country. Southern Haiti was ruled by lighter-toned mixed-race "grimeux" blacks, and ruled specifically by "King" Alexandre Pétion. While Northern Haiti was ruled by dark-skinned blacks and former slaves, specifically ruled by Henri Christophe "Henry I, King of Haïti".

Last edited by polo89; 09-12-2013 at 12:59 PM..

Old 09-12-2013, 12:08 PM

32,256 posts, read 35,032,294 times
Random poll.

I voted Houston. New Orleans was under French control for less than 90 years. It's been under American control for nearly 200.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:02 PM

14,256 posts, read 27,074,176 times
Not 2 mention, Houston and East Texas have their own Creole communities.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:43 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,415,476 times
I don't think most here (including the author of that article) are able to make the distinction between "shared history" with another city and the influence that early settlers had on one city. The relics of the city definitely highlight influences from Europe and the Caribbean, but the average New Orleanian of today has little to no connection with either of those places.

The correct answer is Houston. Period.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:37 PM

114 posts, read 134,638 times
Why isn't Mobile on this poll? It would be the obvious choice.

Mardi Gras and a huge French influence, major Gulf Coast ports, and lots of French names (for what that's worth).

And as to New Orleans' non-Southernness, I would argue that the entire area of south Louisiana, the Mississippi Gulf Coast and Mobile County, AL has a distinct culture that is not Southern. This is probably due to early French influences. Those 90 years had a much bigger impact than some might think.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:28 AM

16,523 posts, read 26,515,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _birminghamster_ View Post
Why isn't Mobile on this poll? It would be the obvious choice.

Mardi Gras and a huge French influence, major Gulf Coast ports, and lots of French names (for what that's worth).

And as to New Orleans' non-Southernness, I would argue that the entire area of south Louisiana, the Mississippi Gulf Coast and Mobile County, AL has a distinct culture that is not Southern. This is probably due to early French influences. Those 90 years had a much bigger impact than some might think.
The Mississippi and Alabama coast are southern. Heck the accents in Biloxi make you think you are way up in Arkansas or something. They have some remnants of the French but nothing quite like Louisiana.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
The Mississippi and Alabama coast are southern.
And so is South Louisiana. I don't know why people continue to deny it.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:29 AM

16,523 posts, read 26,515,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
And so is South Louisiana. I don't know why people continue to deny it.
It is. But the ties between the rest of the coast aren't really as strong as some like to believe.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
It is. But the ties between the rest of the coast aren't really as strong as some like to believe.
They're also not as weak as some of the locals like to believe (e.g. the author of that article).

Foreigners aren't the only ones that settled New Orleans. Americans did, too, and, for MOST of the city's history, it has been an American, Southern town. This is a fact evident in the present culture of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans