Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city does New Orleans share the most history with?
Haiti 31 59.62%
Paris 9 17.31%
Cuba 9 17.31%
Houston 13 25.00%
Atlanta 4 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 09:00 PM

5,003 posts, read 9,162,150 times

Advertisements

Historically Mobile has more in common with New Orleans than Savannah and Houston.At one time Mobile had a strong Creole culture. Some of Mobile's old Creole neighborhoods are in tact. Mobile was under French, Spanish, and English rule. The city is majority Catholic rather than Southern Baptist both cities were founded by the same Canadian French brothers. The French founder of Detroit Mr.Cadillac lived in Mobile for almost 15 years as Governor of French Louisiana before he found Detroit. Mobile's history is very identical to Nola's and the city has history with Cuba and slave trade with St.Domingue. Mobile and Havana both have identical statues of Le Moyne De Iberville and they both face each other in the same direction.

Last edited by PortCity; 10-03-2013 at 09:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 02:05 PM

814 posts, read 1,476,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Historically Mobile has more in common with New Orleans than Savannah and Houston.At one time Mobile had a strong Creole culture. Some of Mobile's old Creole neighborhoods are in tact. Mobile was under French, Spanish, and English rule. The city is majority Catholic rather than Southern Baptist both cities were founded by the same Canadian French brothers. The French founder of Detroit Mr.Cadillac lived in Mobile for almost 15 years as Governor of French Louisiana before he found Detroit. Mobile's history is very identical to Nola's and the city has history with Cuba and slave trade with St.Domingue. Mobile and Havana both have identical statues of Le Moyne De Iberville and they both face each other in the same direction.
Is Mobile majority Catholic? According to statistics on Catholic membership, Mobile county is only 9% Catholic which is well below New Orleans and Mobile has a much bigger Southern Baptist population than New Orleans. I would agree that both New Orleans and Mobile had similar beginnings, its just that both cities have diverged as time past. Mobile has lost a lot of its French/Spanish/Creole culture, influences and populations compared to New Orleans. Mobile also had and has a much stronger "typical" Southern culture and influence than New Orleans. Plus Mobile received a lot less European immigrants which were groups that heavily shaped New Orleans.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:53 PM

5,003 posts, read 9,162,150 times
I'm not to sure about the accuracy of that website. There are more Catholic churches than southern baptist. And yes Mobile has lost a lot of culture but I wouldn't say the culture is traditionally southern.The city is more Gulf Southern . All an all there is nothing like Nola but if their is any city outside of Louisiana that share simularities it would be Mobile. Savanna and Charleston are architectual gems but the history and historical ties are not the same.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:36 PM

814 posts, read 1,476,398 times
Quote:
I'm not to sure about the accuracy of that website. There are more Catholic churches than southern baptist. And yes Mobile has lost a lot of culture but I wouldn't say the culture is traditionally southern.The city is more Gulf Southern . All an all there is nothing like Nola but if their is any city outside of Louisiana that share simularities it would be Mobile. Savanna and Charleston are architectual gems but the history and historical ties are not the same.
Even if those statistics were not totally accurate I can't imagine that percentage changing too much. Even if there are more Catholic churches than Southern Baptist churches (not sure where that information was found), I would bet there are more Baptist (all Baptist) churches and population. The Mobile Archdiocese website, itself, says the Catholic population is 67,488 out of 1,772,873 people (28 Alabama counties), and Mobile would be a fraction of that Catholic population. Though, those numbers are probably a little under-reported. I never said the culture is only traditionally Southern, just that it is more so than New Orleans. But Mobile definitely still has its unique attributes. I'd probably agree that in the South, Mobile is the most similar city to New Orleans, outside South Louisiana, but those similarities have dwindled since colonial days and are kind of small.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:14 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Gulf Coast is a better representation of the culture, IMO. Mobile doesn't really feel like the rest of Alabama or it's surrounding states. I don't think there are many Catholics though, probably similar to Alexandria.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:28 AM

308 posts, read 500,476 times
Cuba is not a city. Cities in Cuba that have a lot in common with New Orleans however are Havana and Santiago de Cuba.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:15 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmizedFactions View Post
Cuba is not a city. Cities in Cuba that have a lot in common with New Orleans however are Havana and Santiago de Cuba.
At one time, New Orleans and Havana were major trading partners.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:29 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
I was going to say New Orleans feels most similar to Savannah or Mobile.

For sure, no matter what happened in the past, Atlanta and New Orleans are absolutely nothing and I do mean nothing alike.

I'm not comfortable with any of the options given in the poll, but I guess if push came to shove and I had to make a choice from those, it would be Houston.
I agree. Since Mobile and Savannah aren't on the poll, my vote goes to Houston, but a bit reluctantly.

And in my opinion, New Orleans is definitely a SOUTHERN city in every sense of the word. About as southern as one can get, literally and figuratively. But what I love about it is that it's southern AND a bag of chips, so to speak. It's got the charms of the south in abundance, but then it's got all that extra "flavoring" as well. There's simply no other city like it on earth, which is why polls like this are really sort of pointless. Nawlins can't be put neatly into any one box.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:55 PM

19 posts, read 33,405 times
After visitin NOLA for 4 hours which is the longest amount of time I have spent there since movin to La almost 3 years ago. I would say it's haitis sister city and I haven't found any real Southern feel in this entire state of La below I-10 IMO. Once you get above I-10 you start to get into more of a Southern culture IMO.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:04 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCameltoe View Post
Once you get above I-10 you start to get into more of a Southern culture IMO.
Ohh you mean them country folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans