Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 11:35 AM

1,720 posts, read 2,756,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
NM is for the self-contained, self-reliant, self-entertained type of person. There's more than enough to provide a fulfilling life here, but it's not the kind of life an urban area offers that can be scheduled and purchased for the price of a fine meal or a Broadway theatre ticket. It really is a place that demands that you create your life yourself.
What I find really interesting is that their are a fair number of urbanites like myself who have a desire to live a self-reliant and self-entertained lifestyle. Accordingly, New Mexico fits that bill perfectly and I would let others keep their Manhattan lifestyle if that is what suits them.

When I lived in a big city back east I often heard rather positive feedback from individuals who had visited New Mexico. Ironically, it was many of these city folks who desired to live in a more stress free environment but never made the move. I even knew a lady who had a "New Mexico" room in her house dedicated to all things New Mexico. One must remember that we have the second largest art market in the US I believe.

Personally, the friendly people, and mystical landscape would be enough reason for me to move and stay in New Mexico.

Last edited by santafe400; 06-17-2009 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: Additional Info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 06:05 PM

416 posts, read 1,402,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
I have noticed alot of transplants.
What are some of the reasons you have re-located to the Land of Enchantment.

And have you enjoyed it here?
If you plan on moving here, what are some of the reasons?
Because we could move anywhere we wanted and my hubby would still be working for the same company that he loves! We researched weather, culture, schools, etc. The schools don't thrill us, but everything else makes us very happy! I wouldn't change a thing!

Old 07-03-2009, 04:34 PM

557 posts, read 2,617,194 times
Husband and I decided to retire in NM because we feel better in the drier climate, like the sunshine, thought it would be cheaper to live here (only the property taxes are cheaper), knew there'd be no traffic in the country (where we live), and we could have chickens. Discovered that the "country" folk down here are very friendly and we've made lots of friends. I just didn't realize I'd need to drive over an hour to find one Starbucks!

Old 07-03-2009, 06:55 PM

1,763 posts, read 6,012,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunInHair View Post
I just didn't realize I'd need to drive over an hour to find one Starbucks!
Next time you're @ Smith's, get yourself several cans of Cafe La Llave or Cafe Bustelo [for cheap $$$]. Once you find the right coffee/water ratio, you'll never need Starbucks again.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:00 PM

390 posts, read 955,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmcnally View Post
lol I see. Why do New Mexicans hate Texans? I just want to live somewhere I can have great views, lots of winter activities (and other seasons too), a place I love, where I can have a job I love, and raise my family.
Come to Lincoln County. We love the Texans because they keep us afloat. Our economy would be in the pitts without them. Don't be scared off by all the negative comments. Granted, I have ranching roots in Texas since the 1840's, but come and visit. You will like us. I leave New Mexico and think only of the mountains, peace and how fast I can come home.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:24 PM

26,527 posts, read 52,001,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
Next time you're @ Smith's, get yourself several cans of Cafe La Llave or Cafe Bustelo [for cheap $$$]. Once you find the right coffee/water ratio, you'll never need Starbucks again.
I never really got to liking Starbucks...

I basically grew up as a child with Café con Leche made with Café Bustelo.

Rich

Old 07-03-2009, 11:00 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,636,248 times
Just thinking while I was out riding my bike today and got drenched by a brief shower and then the sun came out... the sky so blue and clear... the smell of the rain on the pines... paradise...

Old 07-05-2009, 11:39 AM

15,443 posts, read 21,463,682 times
Quote:
What are some of the reasons you have re-located to the Land of Enchantment.
1. Forty odd years ago the Air Force stationed me in New Mexico.
2. I grew to love the natural beauty of the State.
3. I went to school in New Mexico and have old friends.
4. I have great memories of the days before New Mexico was "discovered" and when a poor Texas boy could go to New Mexico to buy even poorer land and property.

Quote:
And have you enjoyed it here?
If you plan on moving here, what are some of the reasons?
I am in the process of returning to my home state of Texas not because there is anything in New Mexico that I dislike but primarily I think because Texans are like the swallows of Capistrano. Also the real estate and living costs in Texas are still very reasonable for a retiree. I will always have very fond memories of New Mexico and will continue to visit the State as long as the MVD is willing to give me a driver's license.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:05 PM

2 posts, read 22,595 times
I moved here from up state n.y.because of my line of work. I transported autos coast to coast and here I am 14 hours to my house from long beach,ca-new orleans, la St lou,mo. Got home more often.education sucks,high crime ,but home owners tax a year cheap.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:05 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,244,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huffenanpuffen View Post
I moved here from up state n.y.because of my line of work. I transported autos coast to coast and here I am 14 hours to my house from long beach,ca-new orleans, la St lou,mo. Got home more often.education sucks,high crime ,but home owners tax a year cheap.
Most difficult post to read EV4R!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico