Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 04:59 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,616,877 times

Advertisements

I moved here on a whim. I do enjoy it. When I retire, I will return to the Northland, not because I don't like NM, but because friends and family are mostly up there, and my belief is that in retirement you need friends and family more than warm weather. In addition, I think after a few decades of the desert, I'm going to look forward to a lake cabin surrounded by tall pines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 05:17 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,377,364 times
I moved here because my husband got a job offer here.
I do not foresee us going anywhere else. We love it here.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:01 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,295,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finmqa1 View Post
Where in NM are you, and where did you move here from? NM is an acquired taste for sure, sorry it didn't work out for you.
I am in Alamogordo, moved here from TX, on our way to VA for hubby's job and to be closer to his family. I am not an outdoorsy, campy sort of person so for me there is not alot to do. Not to mention is sucks having no family around. My perception hasn't been that NM is full of friendly people. I have to smirk everytime I hear our radio station tout Alamogordo as the friendliest place on earth. Hubby really misses the mountains and seasons and for some reason the mountains in NM just don't look like the mountains of TN or VA.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:07 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,456,654 times
We live in Albuquerque, I moved here from Phoenix, but am originally from San Francisco. I moved here when my husband and I got married. He really did not want to move to Phoenix, and I had had enough of the heat, so I made the move. We're stuck here until he retires in @15 years. It's not the first place I'd pick to live, but I've lived in worse places. I want to retire somewhere on the coast....east or west, not sure which.
I do find the true four seasons to be enjoyable but the lack of good educational choices for my son, a lack of some of the sophistication of other places I've lived and the inability to meet a lot of people in the course of my work from home job to be frustrating. Still, I do try and make the best of it and am glad that I get to travel frequently and that my parents live close by. I've become addicted to the food, and know that wherever we wind up, we'll be having chile shipped to us.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:12 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,909,695 times
Hubby really misses the mountains and seasons and for some reason the mountains in NM just don't look like the mountains of TN or VA.

He's right. The mountains here in NM are nothing like those in TN/VA. The Blue Ridge/Ragged in VA and the Smoky Mountains in TN look nothing like NM or CO mountains, which are more rugged and rocky.

While I find all mountains beautiful, I love the western mountains (including those in far West TX) above all. I guess he just misses the green and the humidity!

Old 06-04-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Hubby really misses the mountains and seasons and for some reason the mountains in NM just don't look like the mountains of TN or VA.

He's right. The mountains here in NM are nothing like those in TN/VA. The Blue Ridge/Ragged in VA and the Smoky Mountains in TN look nothing like NM or CO mountains, which are more rugged and rocky.

While I find all mountains beautiful, I love the western mountains (including those in far West TX) above all. I guess he just misses the green and the humidity!

Yes, he really does miss the green and since both of us are from areas of high humidity the east coast won't be to bad.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
We live in Albuquerque, I moved here from Phoenix, but am originally from San Francisco. I moved here when my husband and I got married. He really did not want to move to Phoenix, and I had had enough of the heat, so I made the move. We're stuck here until he retires in @15 years. It's not the first place I'd pick to live, but I've lived in worse places. I want to retire somewhere on the coast....east or west, not sure which.
I do find the true four seasons to be enjoyable but the lack of good educational choices for my son, a lack of some of the sophistication of other places I've lived and the inability to meet a lot of people in the course of my work from home job to be frustrating. Still, I do try and make the best of it and am glad that I get to travel frequently and that my parents live close by. I've become addicted to the food, and know that wherever we wind up, we'll be having chile shipped to us.

I guess Albuquerque has the four seasons but Alamo sure doesn't. The lack of good educational choices is a big one for me. It will be nice to be in area where the schools are some of the best in the nation and even those that are not at the top of the list are still better than the ones here.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Yes, he really does miss the green and since both of us are from areas of high humidity the east coast won't be to bad.
I personally found the humidity in VA just stifling, but if you're used to it, that does make a difference. It is very beautiful and verdant green!

It's good thing you cook at home, because you aren't going to find spicy food in VA. HOWEVER, whatever you find will most likely be a lot better than the restaurant offerings in Alamogordo.

I meant to tell you that they have chiltepin plants at either Lowe's or Home Depot. I almost fainted when I saw them! This was last week!

Old 06-04-2009, 06:52 PM

7,399 posts, read 19,370,560 times
Virginia and Tennessee definately have the 4 seasons and beautiful mountains.
I miss the turning of the leaves in the fall but I love this NM weather right now and the mountains.
I would call the mountains of Tn. more hills than mountains though.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Virginia and Tennessee definately have the 4 seasons and beautiful mountains.
I miss the turning of the leaves in the fall but I love this NM weather right now and the mountains.
I would call the mountains of Tn. more hills than mountains though.
Well, true, but for the area, those ARE the mountains, LOL!

If you want to see fall color, visit McKittric Canyon in Guadalupe Mountains State Park. I haven't been yet, but the photos I've seen show brilliant reds, yellows, greens, golds, purples!

True fall color changing is something I want to see--but never have.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-06-2009 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: Fixed quotes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico