Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 10:01 AM

48 posts, read 159,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I moved here with my husbands job and as soon as possible we are leaving.
Care to elaborate as to why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 11:55 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,014,933 times
I wasn't thinking clearly..

Old 12-23-2010, 04:24 PM

4 posts, read 8,024 times
Well here I am another Senior and am thinking of retiriing to Santa Fe. I do not want the responsibility of homeownership for awhile at least. I would like to rent an apartment in Santa Fe. Can you suggest an area to start with? Any suggestions regarding anything would be helpful as I am just in the planning stages.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:35 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,826,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabinaSaab View Post
Well here I am another Senior and am thinking of retiriing to Santa Fe. I do not want the responsibility of homeownership for awhile at least. I would like to rent an apartment in Santa Fe. Can you suggest an area to start with? Any suggestions regarding anything would be helpful as I am just in the planning stages.
Welcome SabinaSaab. You might browse and look through the Santa Fe sub-forum (Click on the word Santa Fe, I know, it's confusing at first).

Rich

Old 03-11-2012, 08:57 PM

195 posts, read 421,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischer_girl View Post
I, like a few others here, moved here for work. I am one of those people who would rather have the job I love than the location I love. Well..I was that way up until now anyway. New Mexcio certainly isn't the place for me...or should I say SF is not the place. I very very much love ABQ but due to the location of my job living there is out of the question. I just hate that SF is so touristy (and yes, I know, I shouldn't have expected anything less) but its seriously annoying. The state alltogether has the absolute worst customer service I have ever seen in my life. And I too, like many others, simply hate the fact that I have to make sure everything of value is out of my car before locking it up for the night. I hate the traffic here and I think the high standard of living is obscene. No wonder the poverty rate is the way it is!! Furthermore, after giving a science presentation to a group of jr high/high school teachers I was blown away at the education system here. Props to those who are trying to better the system, and strength to those who cannot afford any better...but as another person said..I cannot even fathom raising a family here. About the only things I do like about this place (other than its obvious beauty) is to listen to the locals talk about the history and amazingly neat things I never knew people did/believed in, as well as the overall respect for wildlife.
Finally, working 60 hours a week and commuting another 6 or so makes it pretty difficult to meet any decent people. That and being 19 hours away from friends and family makes it pretty hard to see the good in a place as well.
With all that being said.. its great that so many love this place, call it home and plan to say here. However... if "Home is where the heart is"...I'll be calling the coast home forever.
At this point..it will probably be about 2 or 3 years before the economy gets back on its feet. That being said, I plan to hold fast to the job I have...and get the heck out of here as soon as an opportunity arrives. Also, referring to the quote above...I am one who feels the exact opposite. I need the water and the humidity.... and for sure my gills are drying out here!
I moved to NM from Missouri about 3 years ago. I wasn't born in MO, but I spent almost 30 years of my life there (33 now). I had a teaching job in Missouri, but I was told how horrible of a teacher I was everyday by a principal, and eventually she asked me not to come back. I applied to school districts around the Kansas City/St. Joseph, MO areas (including the school district I grew up in) and got no luck. I applied for a headstart position in Santa Rosa, NM and I moved there that August.
I loved Santa Rosa. Yes when I first arrived, the first person I met told me horrible stuff about SR and I decided to try it for myself. 95% of the town is related to each other, but in about a few months I made friends and fit in very well. I got involved in the community, went to all the sporting events, and got to know the wonderful people in Santa Rosa.
Then I got laid off from my headstart job there, and I decided to stay in NM as opposed to go back to MO, and eventually got a job in Santa Fe.
I like Santa Fe, I wouldn't say I'm in love with it, or hate it by any means. But it is very hard living here. Whereas I had friends in SR, it is very hard making friends here. I don't even know my neighbors. People are friendly here, if you show some respect and courtesy.But I haven't made one single friend yet. I've only lived in small towns, so the traffic is busier than I like, and about 95% of SF don't like the way I drive.
But other than it being very expensive living here, and the busy traffic, my job is very supportive of me, I do like the people in SF, even though I haven't connected with anyone yet, and there are things to do here. I'm not sure how long I will stay, but I will make the most of my time here, no matter how hard it is. Believe me, its been very hard. I cry sometimes because its hard.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:19 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,778,785 times
Hey DiscoInferno,

Glad to hear your employer supports your career. Seems to me that you might want to join some clubs that cater to your interest (hiking, music, model cars, reading old books, radio control planes, whatever). Seems like sophisticated town like SF would have all sorts of things going on. I have found that I make friends most quickly when doing things (volunteering, attending reading groups, classes,etc.) with others. It just seems to happen organically.

Hang in there!

Old 03-12-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Hey DiscoInferno,

Glad to hear your employer supports your career. Seems to me that you might want to join some clubs that cater to your interest (hiking, music, model cars, reading old books, radio control planes, whatever). Seems like sophisticated town like SF would have all sorts of things going on. I have found that I make friends most quickly when doing things (volunteering, attending reading groups, classes,etc.) with others. It just seems to happen organically.

Hang in there!
I am a very shy, introverted person, so I don't venture out of my "comfort zone" very much, so that is the problem. If only I would venture out more, I think it would be easier living here. As part of my job, I have enrolled in a class at the community college. Of course, I sit next to the lady I work with, but the professor has put us into groups, so I was able to meet more people that way.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischer_girl View Post
Thanks for the refreshing comment. Its irritating to not have time to meet people...and I was even thinking about volunteering so I could meet people..how silly is THAT?! Could I please work a little more?! But at the same extent.. its probably easier to NOT meet people if I don't plan on sticking around forever, either.

I think I too am trying to do just what you said..have everything I want in one place. Someone remind me why I left my dream place (SW FL) and my absolute dream job there? Ohhh thats right...to return to my husband I left behind in North Dakota! Kidding. Sometimes life doesn't hand us the most easy situations, but "life works out best for those who make the best of the way things work out".

I have also come to realize that it will probably be impossible to escape the high standards of living and the crazy traffic living on the coast. Ohh..what is one to do? For now.. its off to Cabezon Peak tomorrow..to hopefully see some GOOD things about this place!
Boy is this true. Living in Santa Fe is not easy. I don't know how long I will be here, but I will *try* to make the best of the situation I've been placed in.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,855,481 times
I suggest you try and do what you fear the most. If you are shy and introverted force yourself to get involved with a club or church and just meet people. Some will be really nice and some bastards but without meeeting all of them you will never learn how to sort them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico