Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 07:02 PM

253 posts, read 1,131,228 times

Advertisements

We moved to NM due to a mid-2006 job transfer, so this post is made from that perspective. Keep in mind, that although what I have written below is straightforward, we have met some very nice residents here. They have no "attitude" and are very helpful and kind to newcomers. However, as you will read below, they deserve better from their State and local governments.

1) It is hot here (Las Cruces). On the day we moved in, it was 104 degrees. Dry heat. It was hotter in Tucson, which we passed through on the 10 Freeway, although we did spend the night there. Tucson was horribly hot and there were cicadas in the trees making a horrible screeching sound all night long. Thankfully, we could not hear them because we had the A/C running all night long too. Here in LC, are A/C bills (July - late September) were about $80 per month. At night, we used a box fan set up in a window. So, it is a typical desert environment: long hot summers, cold, windy winters with just a few weeks of pleasant temperatures. The rainy season here is July, August and September. It gets even windier in March & April.

2) The cost of gas (natural) is way cheaper than CA. Our bill from the city-owned gas utility is just $8.58/month. Can't get much better than that.

3) The housing is cheaper here too, but comes at a price. We are renting since we plan on moving back to CA someday. If you plan on buying a home someday, this area is a good place to save. Try renting at 1 percent of your gross income and live on 25/30k a year.

4) The price of gasoline is right now, $2.15/gallon. Which is cheaper than CA.

5) The best place to shop if you are a health foodie is Mountain View Market off Idaho & El Paseo. It is a co-op and you get a 5% discount on purchases. Anther store for health & gourmet food is Toucan Market across from NMSU on University. There are 3 Albertson's in town.

6) There is a new hospital off Roadrunner is called Mountain View Hospital and is the one to go to if you need it. It has been built right next to a major, flood causeway, so if its raining, just hope that you do not get washed away. The locals really believe in flood catch basins and no storm drains, so the roads are used as rivers (bizarre - but that's what they do in Mexico who they take their cues from).

7) The local police like to write up lots of tickets for minor traffic infractions such as speeding. The 10 freeway through Las Cruces is a speed trap. Lots of interstate truck traffic since the 10 is the freeway that connects central and southern Texas with AZ & CA. There are only 2 lanes in each direction, although the government here wants to widen it to 3 lanes in each direction. The local highway dept is run by incompetents. 50% of the freeway lights are out so at night, you have to drive with your brights on to see the bridges, offramps, etc. If you get a ticket in Las Cruces, you will have to pay for it by lining up with hundreds each morning. The line begins at 6:30 a.m. outside the Traffic Clerk's window. This line, I have read in the local paper, is very long to stand in. The reporter who had the misfortune to get a ticket, gave us a sad tale of her standing in line, after braving rain and rivers of water during the rainy season.

8) The speed limits here in Las Cruces are slow: 35 mph. And, then you have to slow down to 15 mph in School Zones even when there are NO children anywhere in sight. But, it makes a good monetary situation for the folks who operate as "crossing guards." But maybe the speed limits are slow because the roads are so bad - uneven paving, non-reflectorized center lines and medians, non-existant lighting. All we can think of is corruption at every level.

9) Santa Fe-ans think they are really something special, even if it is strictly a 3rd rate town. Many Santa Fe people are from the East Coast and love illegal aliens. In fact, Santa Fe is a "sanctuary city" for them. The governor who is ensconced there has plans to run for the Oval Office is one of them. Do a google search for "Bill Richardson" and you will read articles on him advocating for illegals, meanwhile, the rest of the State gets washed down the drain due to him vetoing legislation last year for flood control. He also wants to use eminent domain against ranchers and farmers to remove their water rights on their property. BTW, Santa Fe women wear clothes from Chico's. Yes, they are *That Type*. And there are no salons to speak of there or in Albuquerque.

10) One last thing: our auto insurance *increased* here due to the high percentage of drunk drivers and a 30% uninsured motorist rate (as told to us by our insurance company). This could easily be solved, with the other problems mentioned above, if the State simply raised the tax on gasoline by 2-3 cents (universal auto insurance) and raised the sales tax to 8.00%. (Texas is 8.25%).

Old 12-10-2006, 07:40 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
Thanks for your assessment. I am the other Coast, East. I didn't notice a conclusion and wonder if you are in favour of or against folks moving to NM. I live in Northern NM.

Can you elaborate further?

Happy holidays.

Old 12-10-2006, 09:51 PM

Default Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Thanks for your assessment. I am the other Coast, East. I didn't notice a conclusion and wonder if you are in favor of or against folks moving to NM. I live in Northern NM.

Can you elaborate further?

Happy holidays.
As far as Californians moving to NM, I just wanted to present info so that they could make their own decision. Elsewhere on this Board, I just saw restaurant recs and food comparatives (Tex-Mex vs. NM, that sort of thing). Basically, I wanted to give people more to consider.

I am maintaining my California legal residency status - so that may give you a clue to my own personal decision. And, I go to San Diego to have my hair cut.

~Cali-girl

Old 12-10-2006, 11:16 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
I got ya!

I order coffee from NYC, have not changed my driver's license and think sushi

Take care and again happy holiday(s).

Old 12-11-2006, 06:44 AM

7 posts, read 43,688 times
Default loriv

Thanks for the input! I'm an American and am currently looking to relocate from Paris, France to Taos. I hear what you are saying about lack of cultural stimulation, but trust me, after living for two years in the hustle and bustle of Paris and trying to integrate into a society of "reserved" folks, the thought of relocating to this New Mexican paradise sounds wonderful!

Old 12-11-2006, 09:41 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
Most of what yorue saying is coming off in a good light, and i agree with it. Except i dunno what your deal is with speed ? Our school here in NM can have kids in it untill 10PM thats why its set at 15MPH. Because kids tend not to use road safety when crossing. So its best to have it at 15MPH. Same as other speed limits, theyre there for a reason. Stay within it and you wont get pulled over, simple as.

Weather is a personal choice. Im from Ireland, and we got no where near 100F there, but i love it when it gets that hot here. Same as winter, we never got town to -15F, but i like it here.

I kind of agree with the insurance rates. I pay about 1-5th of what i wouldve paid in Ireland, so i wont complain just yet.

NM is a state you tend to love or hate. Me, i love it.

Old 12-11-2006, 12:03 PM

Default More to above....

I exceeded my character limit for my first post, and so I wanted to continue just a bit more.

If you need a dry cleaners, go to Comet Cleaners over by Albertsons off Idaho and El Paseo (which is diagonal to the health food store). Here in NM, they use real dry cleaning fluids and so your items will have that dry cleaner scent to it as opposed to CA where regulation has eliminated certain chemicals. I cannot rec the other cleaners in town. No offense, but they are not known for competency.

More on the police: I am not a proponent of speeding. However, I know that in CA there is a "fudge factor" of 5 miles over the speed limit that the CHP and local police will overlook. (They do this to avoid court contests over speedometer settings by auto manufacturers.) HOWEVER, that same criteria is NOT considered in NM and be forewarned: 65 means 65 and you can be ticketed for going even 1 mph over the limit (not to say that it will happen, but just be aware).

There is a female officer in Las Cruces (off Roadrunner) who will force motorcyclists to walk their bike all the way home (she follows them) if the cyclist lacks sunglasses (which are required under State law). Helmets are not required here, but sunglasses are. As far as police protection, I interviewed a woman who was severely battered by a drunk neighbor and the Las Cruces police never showed up to write a report or investigate the circumstances. The police here have a reputation among the locals of being "do-nothings." "They write traffic tickets, but that's it. The criminal investigation part they don't want to do - too much work," as stated by one former Californian. So, you are on your own when it comes to police protection re crime. Retirees may want to take note.

As far as school crossings: I/we have no problem with the low speed limits as long as there are children present or who are waiting to cross. What I do oppose is the nonsensical law that requires 15 mph past street crossings when there are NO kids there! None! And this is a regular thing! lol! Apparently, families with kids have moved away from certain areas that at one time was known for kids, but not now. Sadly, the laws have not caught up to current trends. I even asked one crossing guard: "Where are the kids?" He merely shrugged and turned away with no answer. lol! So, anyway, there you have it.

We drove 4.5 hours once (once) to Albuquerque to go to Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and Wild Oats. It is a loooong way from LC. We went in the late summertime and the drive is not picturesque (imo). With the addition of 1/2 hour, we could have been in Tucson (which has all 3 stores too). There is a strictly marginal health food store in El Paso called Sun Harvest. I am aware that it is owned by Wild Oats Markets, but do not be fooled: by CA standards, it is simply awful. But whatever.

When you go to Texas, remember to set you watch ahead by 1 hour. Even in El Paso. So, in NM (Mountain Standard Time) it may be 9:00 a.m., but in El Paso (37 miles away) it is 10:00 a.m (Central Standard Time). This is valuable to know in the event you have a doctor's appt like I did, and not knowing this info, I was 1 hour late.

You may wish to go to Texas for routine medical appts since Texas, like CA, does not charge sales tax on medical/dental services like NM does. I opted out of dental services by a local NM dentist since the sales tax on the treatment would have equaled my insurance coverage. So forget that. On the street behind the El Encanto Hotel, there is a great Walk-In Medical Clinic that is open 7 days a week until 8 p.m. or so. Sorry, I can't remember the name of it (I've been there 2x and is the only one rec'd by by spouse's co-workers). Just remember that its over by the Mesilla Valley Mall behind the Hotel.

I have a Mac and have taken it one time to PC & MacDoctors off Solano. Very good repairs (my Mac crashed & the hard drive needed to be erased and reinstalled.) So, good experience there.

The Mesilla Valley Mall is so-so. Nothing good for me except Trade Secret. Dillards is a very low-end Macy*s. Dillards is like Gottschalks. If you want Mac Cosmetics in-person, you will need to go to the Cielo Vista Mall in El Paso. There is a larger Dillards (2, actually. 1 for men and one for women.) there that carries it. They also have a Macy*s which used to be Foley's. Otherwise, be prepared to shop online.

*edited to add* - Drunk drivers can be mostly found on the I-10 to El Paso in both directions. So be careful. And on the 10 to Deming/Lordsburg there are solo car rollovers due to drivers falling asleep at the wheel.

~Cali-girl

Last edited by Cali-girl; 12-11-2006 at 12:15 PM..

Old 12-11-2006, 08:21 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-girl View Post
I exceeded my character limit for my first post, and so I wanted to continue just a bit more....

When you go to Texas, remember to set you watch ahead by 1 hour. Even in El Paso. So, in NM (Mountain Standard Time) it may be 9:00 a.m., but in El Paso (37 miles away) it is 10:00 a.m (Central Standard Time). This is valuable to know in the event you have a doctor's appt like I did, and not knowing this info, I was 1 hour late.

~Cali-girl
The majority of Texas IS CST....but NOT El Paso. El Paso and Culberson counties in Texas are on MST, just as all of New Mexico is. I can't imagine why you would have been late for a doctor's appointment in El Paso, as their time is exactly the same.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:20 PM

6 posts, read 26,433 times
I happen to love NM. The slow pace and the colors are beautiful. I love the Taos area and it has grown in the last few years. The "stars" have begun to discover it which is not a great thing. Santa Fe takes an hour to drive through with all the traffic. Still NM has this wacky aura around it that makes it fun. Now I sound like one of thoses new age people! Oh yeah...they have lots of those! It is also very very libral if thats an issue don't talk politics at the coffee houses!lol

Old 12-11-2006, 10:28 PM

Default You are right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
The majority of Texas IS CST....but NOT El Paso. El Paso and Culberson counties in Texas are on MST, just as all of New Mexico is. I can't imagine why you would have been late for a doctor's appointment in El Paso, as their time is exactly the same.
You are correct - here is a time zone map to show that indeed, El Paso is exempt:

http://www.mapsofworld.com/usa/thema...mezone-map.gif

So, I was given wrong info by the locals! Sorry. I was even shown a map with the time zones but ELP was included in CST.

~Cali-girl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico