Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2006, 11:46 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,172,677 times

Advertisements

Hi, My family and I are trying to find what state would be better to live in, my daughter is 12 so we need a good school.
We are looking for low cost of living since we will be on a fixed income. In Minnesota where we live, our house has 1200 sq ft and taxes are 282 every six months, our house will maybe sell for around $70,000 to $80,000 average income is between $30 to $35,000. Our house has a basement and double garage, the family room has a fireplace and most of the rooms have been remodeled. Need to move do to health reasons, besides wanting to live out the rest of our lives where we can be happy. The cold really bothers the health problems we both have along with allergies etc. I hope some one out there can help us as to where the best place to live would be. Affordable housing, good schools, nice neighborhood. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2006, 02:55 AM

827 posts, read 5,081,157 times
Yorkie_Mom, That is a tough one with all you are looking for; good schools, low costs, nice neighborhoods, etc. Houses out west are generally higher in costs than where you are, due to the fact that so many are leaving the NE and moving out west and putting a strain on housing costs. Saying that, I will try to help. I think you can rule out Wyoming. Just too cold. You said you don't want to be in another cold place and Wyoming can get temps way below zero a lot.

OK, New Mexico and Colorado's homes are pricey but you can still find bargains especially in areas not "discovered". Your allergies will keep you from some places. I am thinking New Mexico. Maybe you might try looking at Alamogordo. It is mild in the winter, but hot in the summer. Not hot like Phoenix, but still it gets hot. Carlsbad is a cheap place to live, but not a lot is available and it gets real hot in the summer. Las Cruces is another place. Homes are more pricey than in Alamogordo though. What is nice about Alamogordo is you can go up to the mountains in a short time. There isn't a lot there to cause allergies, but in the Spring, they get sand storms, which would be a good idea to stay indoors during those times. Raton is inexpensive, but it can get some snow in the winter there, even though it melts quick and is MUCH warmer than in Minnesota. Aztec is pretty inexpensive. You can get in a large modular home on an acreage real cheap. So I would look at the following:
Alamogordo
Carlsbad
Las Cruces
Raton
Aztec
Good Luck on your search and move!

Old 11-05-2006, 12:09 PM

11 posts, read 35,467 times
I agree with Crakerjack.... Alamogordo is where I am headed once I sell my home.....

April

Old 11-05-2006, 01:26 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,172,677 times
Thanks for the info, I will check into these areas, if anyone else has any ideas let me know. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico