Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 06:13 AM

184 posts, read 902,234 times

Advertisements

I'm all for speeding.

Moving to NM after 10 yrs in Europe, my wife and I actually budgeted for paying for my speeding tickets. I'm used to considering the "speed limit" as my absolute minimum speed, it takes time to change that mindset.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:18 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,413,637 times
Whered you live in Europe to get away with that mindset? I know on the highways in England is like a racetrack at times though.

Old 12-12-2006, 11:01 AM

35 posts, read 237,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-girl View Post
As far as Californians moving to NM, I just wanted to present info so that they could make their own decision. Elsewhere on this Board, I just saw restaurant recs and food comparatives (Tex-Mex vs. NM, that sort of thing). Basically, I wanted to give people more to consider.

~Cali-girl
Since a lot of New Mexicans don't want Californians moving into their state--especially if they don't do it because they love New Mexico but because of a job change as in your case--they probably are glad to see a Californian who is telling other Californians that she is not overly thrilled with her move and plans to move back eventually. I think the key is that you should only move to New Mexico if you want to adopt that lifestyle. If you don't want that, then you'll be unhappy with the weather, the speed limits, the lack of familiar stores and amenities, and so forth. Also, while I love Albuquerque and find it to be exactly what I want, I don't like Las Cruces and would never live there willingly. Other folks adore Santa Fe but find Albuquerque to be a pit. So it's not just New Mexico that is the issue, it's *where* in the state you move to.

Old 12-12-2006, 01:25 PM

253 posts, read 1,131,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaforeman View Post
Since a lot of New Mexicans don't want Californians moving into their state--especially if they don't do it because they love New Mexico but because of a job change as in your case--they probably are glad to see a Californian who is telling other Californians that she is not overly thrilled with her move and plans to move back eventually. I think the key is that you should only move to New Mexico if you want to adopt that lifestyle. If you don't want that, then you'll be unhappy with the weather, the speed limits, the lack of familiar stores and amenities, and so forth. Also, while I love Albuquerque and find it to be exactly what I want, I don't like Las Cruces and would never live there willingly. Other folks adore Santa Fe but find Albuquerque to be a pit. So it's not just New Mexico that is the issue, it's *where* in the state you move to.
I agree with you. Its really a whole lot more than moving to a State due to a low-cost-of-living considerations. This summer, my spouse took me, for the first time, to Cloudcroft since the summer heat here in LC was making me physically ill. The temp there was about 72 degrees as opposed to 103 degrees (plus it was raining in the lower lands) in LC. Cloudcroft was wonderful and I felt well enough to eat after being there for 1/2 hour.

(NOTE to Californians: Cloudcroft is a lot like Bluejay up by Lake Arrowhead. There are tall pine trees, but the secondary trees are elms, and not sycamores. So, I didn't get the same visual vibe but the cooler temps were rejuvenating. Bear in mind that we moved from coastal CA sea-level to about 4000 feet (Las Cruces) with at least 25 degree difference in temperature.)

On the other hand, some of the suggestions that CA transplants may offer, such as:

1). 2 license plates instead of one (better at ID'ing a fleeing driver),

2). reflectorized (glass particles) paint on road medians and lines,

3). replacing burned-out bulbs on freeway lights - especially at offramps,

4). in-car computers for police,

5). new software for the NM DMV (which is a joke, btw - the software they are currently using is 15 years old, which was admitted to me by an State agent),

6). flood control management (NOTE to Californians: there is little effective flood control here. On 10/7 the local Las Cruces Sun-News published a story whereby FEMA stated that the Rio Grande levees (all 131 miles of it here in NM) fails to meet federal flood control standards and homeowners living in the recently redrawn flood map will need to buy flood insurance.),

7). universal auto insurance which would only necessitate a 2-3 cent increase in the gallon price at the pump (just think, 30 per cent of the driver's here have NO insurance. Probably most of them cannot afford it.)

8). PO Boxes allowed on Driver's licenses for everyone, especially tho for teachers and law enforcement. Privacy is an important and safe right.

Instead of maintaining a "we refuse to change, so GET OUT" attitude, you may wish to consider and implement laws that would definitely improve public safety and well-being of all New Mexicans. Those of us from CA may actually have something to offer other than money ($$$) which another poster mentioned. Something like "spend your money here and then go home" sort of a thing. Since we are supporting local businesses and the State economy, it would appear that we could have some suggestions to offer that may benefit all residents.

*edited to add* Regarding the "their state" comment above (and I am stating this as politely as I can): Please let Gov. Bill Richardson know that since he wants to run for the presidency of the entire United States. I am certain he would be politically embarrassed if it were to be made known that New Mexicans have a "get out" attitude towards other Americans. Please call his Las Cruces office and give him your 2 cents on this issue. Also, please remove "USA" off of NM's license plates. Thank you. 505.541.0087 (505 S. Main, Suite 145, Las Cruces, NM 88001)

~Cali-girl

Last edited by Cali-girl; 12-12-2006 at 02:53 PM..

Old 12-12-2006, 01:47 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,881,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-girl View Post
You are correct - here is a time zone map to show that indeed, El Paso is exempt:

http://www.mapsofworld.com/usa/thema...mezone-map.gif

So, I was given wrong info by the locals! Sorry. I was even shown a map with the time zones but ELP was included in CST.

~Cali-girl
Here is another link that will give you the time zones on not only a state-by-state, but by county as well:

http://www.timetemperature.com/tzus/...exas_a-h.shtml

That's the TX page, but you can click on the US one at the top and see the others.

My old college buddy lived in ELP several years, and I had to always remember the time change....if you want to be driven crazy, try AZ, which has never gone to DST (unless the change is recent)....and the isolated counties in some other states!!!

Old 12-13-2006, 07:45 AM

75 posts, read 410,160 times
"Santa Fe-ans think they are really something special, even if it is strictly a 3rd rate town. Many Santa Fe people are from the East Coast and love illegal aliens. In fact, Santa Fe is a "sanctuary city" for them. The governor who is ensconced there has plans to run for the Oval Office is one of them. Do a google search for "Bill Richardson" and you will read articles on him advocating for illegals, meanwhile, the rest of the State gets washed down the drain due to him vetoing legislation last year for flood control. He also wants to use eminent domain against ranchers and farmers to remove their water rights on their property. BTW, Santa Fe women wear clothes from Chico's. Yes, they are *That Type*. And there are no salons to speak of there or in Albuquerque."

I'm a Santa Fe woman, and I never buy clothes from Chico's. And if you can't find a decent salon, by your standards, let your hair grow, and stop being such a snob.

BTW, I agree with your assessment of our governor. He's a corrupted official in a crooked state system.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:39 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,413,637 times
What a bitter person you are Cali
Quote:
I am certain he would be politically embarrassed if it were to be made known that New Mexicans have a "get out" attitude towards other Americans. Please call his Las Cruces office and give him your 2 cents on this issue. Also, please remove "USA" off of NM's license plates
New Mexicans dont not have a "get out" attitude to other Americans. New Mexico embraces new people who want to embrace New Mexico. If like you, you have no interest in embracing New Mexico, you can leave. its that easy. New Mexico cant control 103 degree heat. Though i do LOVE the heat. I came from Ireland where there is no chance of getting that high, and i love it here.
Your comment on removing the "USA" from NM license plates really show what an irrational lady you can be and you have lost all credibility in any of your posts imho.
Ive seen police with in-car computers.
Have two licence plates ? Thats just nit picking
Everybody needs to be treated the same as regards to the PO Box. *If* somebody really wanted to harm a teacher could they not follow them home ?

Old 12-13-2006, 12:05 PM

Dear Brian:

I was responding to another poster. Please reread my/her post within its context. Your post simply reinforces what I posted. Have a great day!

~Cali-girl

Dear greatdanes:

By referring to Chico's I am also referring to a general style that Santa Fe women are known for. Whether they realize it or not, Santa Fe-ans, particularly the women, are not held in esteem. I am merely stating what you may be unaware of, that's all.

*But we do agree on the Governor*

ATTN Governor Richardson: just because the majority of New Mexicans are impoverished to one degree or another does not give you or the state legislators license to oppress them through incompetency or a refusal to implement modern health and safety laws. As just one example, my considered opinion is that highway/road standards in New Mexico date back thirty (30) years. And, for the love of God, allot funding for new police cars. The ones here have peeling paint and look like they have 1M miles on them.

~Cali-girl

Old 12-13-2006, 12:41 PM
BEB

7 posts, read 22,603 times
Cali, Unbelieveable...Where exactly do you come off saying the things you do?
It is hard to keep reading posts from someone so shallow that you believe anyone cares about what women wear in SF.Or the time differences or the weather.Or that you were so sick your POOR husband had to haul your sick rear to Cloudcroft so you could eat and get out of the heat. You actually go back to SD to get your hair cut?What are you?Where did you really come from??Are you out of your teens yet?
Please grow up ,As a native Californian I am ashamed for you and your trivial nature.
I am really glad to know that you intend to go back to Ca{not soon enough} as I own property in NM and will be glad that one person who gives us a bad name there is gone.

Old 12-13-2006, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEB View Post
I am really glad to know that you intend to go back to Ca{not soon enough} as I own property in NM and will be glad that one person who gives us a bad name there is gone.
Hello BEB: First of all, thank you for identifying yourself as a property owner. As such, I would hope that you are interested in maintaining your property's values. What we have found, is that property values are enhanced through the following:

1) Laws that promote public health & safety
2) Laws that provide for a safe environment, specifically, flooding. Here in NM, I witnessed 1/3 my neighbor's property wash by my residence during rains in August. Several of my neighbor's homes got inundated with mud, which dominoed through their living room and into their neighbors (plural) homes.

Since the Governor plans to run for the Oval Office, it would make sense to make sure he can keep his own backyard in order before taking on the neighborhood.

~Cali-girl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico