Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 09:06 PM

28 posts, read 40,086 times

Advertisements

I love this site. Right now we are living in SF and there is NO WAY we could ever consider buying here. We have never even been to NM, but three different people who actually don't know each other said they can see us in NM, so I am paying attention. We would love to buy a home around Albuquerque, Santa feor Taos. Again, we don't really know those places or the surrounding areas. I am a Social Woker and my husband works at UPS so we don't have a lot of $. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 09:20 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,033,812 times
Hi Maureen,

Santa Fe and Taos are probably the most expensive places in the state. Albuquerque would be more affordable if money is the prime consideration.

My two suggestions would be .... if you haven't done so already, do a lot of research online about the state and the areas that interest you. You can search a lot here at this website, both in the city data section, and here at this discussion board. Check out threads about Santa Fe, Taos, and ABQ.

If moving to NM seems to be a real possibility for you, I think you MUST make a visit to the state and have a look around and get a feel for the atmosphere there and see what you think.

New Mexico is VERY different than most everyplace else in the country. Some people love it and some people hate it. I've been at this forum long enough to realize that living in NM is not for everyone. How will you really know with out seeing it in person?

Good luck in your research!

~Towanda

Old 08-17-2007, 07:59 AM

9,379 posts, read 20,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Hi Maureen,

New Mexico is VERY different than most everyplace else in the country. Some people love it and some people hate it. I've been at this forum long enough to realize that living in NM is not for everyone. How will you really know with out seeing it in person?

Good luck in your research!

~Towanda
Truer words could not be spoken. The 3 cities that you laid out comprise only a small part of the state. IMO, you should also consider Las Cruces, and/or Silver City.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:48 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,091,201 times
Maureen G is trying to escape SF:

> We have never even been to NM, ...
> we don't really know those places or the surrounding areas.

She also posted to the Austin and San Antonio board:

> We are ... exploring buying a home in San Marcus TX ...
> We don't know the area within the town, ...

> ... anybody know of any links I can visit to at least get
> some idea what these places look like ...

Try here for Albuquerque:
Flickr: The Albuquerque Pool
Here for Austin:
Flickr: Photos tagged with austin

The signal-to-noise ratio is somewhat marginal in these kinds of
picture sites, but you can get an idea.

Honestly, Towanda is _spot_on_ in that you need to see it in person.
NM, TX, or anywhere else you are looking for. Just fly to one of
those places and then drive the span in between (and anywhere
else you are looking).

Once you have been there (insert your definition of "there" there),
then you can ask better questions instead of just using the shotgun
approach to City-Data and asking "Hi guys! Tell me everything!"

I've done this a lot in the past. I've never lived in Denver, but I know
the city pretty well just from visiting extensively. The same goes for
many other places. There is no other way. A large percentage of the
people on these message boards also have an axe to grind, so they'll
just tell you (someplace) sucks rocks.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:04 PM

775 posts, read 2,589,409 times
My Suggestion is the East Mountain Area if you want to be close to Albuquerque and Santa Fe and be out in the Country type of Atmosphere. The Moriarty Area is Growing and a few minutes from Albuquerque and real estate is probably reasonable. But that area can get cold and lots of snow in the winter anywhere from central N.M. north gets cold. If you like warm Weather Roswell My Preference and on to Las Cruces and Alamogordo. el pintada kid

Old 02-20-2008, 04:23 PM

1,567 posts, read 4,427,354 times
As they say, you don't choose New Mexico; it chooses you.

Come out for a visit in the summer, then visit again in the winter. Eat the food, make lots of side trips, and soak up the culture.

Friends of mine who visit the area say it's like visiting a foreign country. It's both seductive and coy.

From my perspective, the cost of living is reasonable and the people are friendly.

Try it . . . . You might like it.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:26 PM

946 posts, read 3,268,034 times
You should

1) look at existing threads,
2) visit,
and 3) give us a better idea of what you are looking for. NM has certain things characteristic of the entire state -- like sun and scenery, but there is also a tremendous variety within the state. Santa Fe has certain things you won't find other places, but if those things mean nothing to you, then Santa Fe is more expensive and it would be a foolish choice. ABQ generates the most job growth, but maybe you like small towns. Do you want four seasons or do you never want to be cold again?

Old 02-20-2008, 05:50 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,966,033 times
I'm agreed with all the posters and can't overemphasize how important it is to visit here. Read and research all you can beforehand, but nothing will fall in place until you visit. Visit several times if you can. Look at real estate. Drive all around. Talk to people.
Only by getting a first hand impression will you be able to make a wise decision. If you think you will have a problem with heat, then visit in high summer. If you're not sure about winters with occasional snow, visit in winter.

Good luck. I moved to Albuquerque from the East Coast and don't look back.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:47 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,866,278 times
There is no place that is perfect for everyone. Most of those we know who have relocated here love it or love it for awhile. Some regret the move right away. Be sure and I can not stress this enough, you do research, research, research......There are lots of positives about living here, no place in the country could have the weather we have minus the awful wind. There are other great things about the state, but there are many problems. After you have talked to enough people, have visted several times and know what it is that draws you to the state, then it is time to start thinking about that move.

Nita

Old 02-22-2008, 08:53 PM

946 posts, read 3,268,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
There is no place that is perfect for everyone. Most of those we know who have relocated here love it or love it for awhile. Some regret the move right away. Be sure and I can not stress this enough, you do research, research, research......There are lots of positives about living here, no place in the country could have the weather we have minus the awful wind. There are other great things about the state, but there are many problems. After you have talked to enough people, have visted several times and know what it is that draws you to the state, then it is time to start thinking about that move.

Nita
And actually we don't the awful wind everywhere. Another question to research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico