Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2009, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 8,739 times

Advertisements

Depending on which area of the ranchettes you are looking at be very careful. We were going to purchase a couple of lots several years ago and I am very thankful I didn't. We moved here from Michigan 3 years ago and have gained some insights to the land down here. First let me say we love living in Luna County, we are near Deming about 20 miles outside of town and the Ranchettes are probably another 10 miles south of us. We see people come and go in the area. Remember it is a desert, we have had very little if no rain in this area for the past year. There are no trees out here, only the ones you put in. I have met a rancher out here and have been on cattle drives with him and they go through these subdivisions. They were developed back in the 60's and not much has been done to improve them since. There are ranchettes all around the Florida's, I'm on the East side of the mountain and it floods very badly if you do get rain. There are some roads (well kinda roads) where you wouldn't get in or out in the Monsoon season. I checked with the electric co. and it would have cost over $30,000 to run electricity to the lots we were looking at. And as far as I know you still need a minimum of 2 acres to build or sink a well. Good luck with your move, we do love it here, but make sure you check out the area in person before you purchase anything and do your homework for building and wells and septic systems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 5,508 times
HiKeep it! The land will be going up soon. I have land right next to the new Columbus school for sale and it is part of a 5 lot subdivision. I am selling it this month if anyone wants to build over there. Alot of people boast that they have land 2 miles or so from the school but my land actually is right there. I sold the school the 40 acres that they are on! I have 3 more lots to sell and then i can start developing more lots. power and water and streets are there and the lots are right off of the highway.If you want a green school that just opened really big with 500 kids, all new great teachers, clean air,and beautiful mountains practcally within throwing distance email me and get one of these beautiful lots. Also i have been to Columbus,NM 6 times with different meetings ect developing my subdivision and so i can help with questions. As far as drug dealers go, here is what happened to me... The last recent trip that i made I was really sick but had to make it for a meeting to get some information and was running a fever and hungry from not eating so deleriously i drove my rental car across the border to lAS Palomas Mexico and stopped at a small restaurant that had a dirt floor and kids playing in the corner. Having several kids of my own this made me sad but i was hungry and was immediately shown a table. The owner was a kind mexican woman whom said Pueblosita, you are sick.. I will help you.She made me a fresh pot of soup and i ate it and after 4 days of being sick i felt almost instantly better'the next day. I dont know if it was the soup or the kind way that she treated me but i can say that shewas like a mother treating me with special care. I was dressed normaly and i don't think i looked too great and when i left i left her a 20.00 tip on the table for being so kind. She came running after me andtried to give it back. I finally told her that i was not taking it back and she finally stopped asking me.The next day i brought toys for her kids and anonymously left them inside the door of her restaurant.I did not want her to thank me anymore but wanted her kids to have some new shoes and toys.In the Patio Cafe in Columbus i saw a beautiful chair and asked where it came from... she sold me the chair. It turns out that Indian people made the chair and the proceeds help them to eat.Life is so simple there that when i came back to California i thought that i had a secret but could not really explain to my friends how it was that i came back home more than what i was when i left. I am saving a piece of property for myself for one day when my kids gratuate and i can build a simple homefor my husband and i. I am not sure if this is interesting to anyone but i guess all of the bad publicity on the web is really exaggerated in my opinion. I think the people there are great!

Old 09-17-2009, 09:12 PM

1 posts, read 5,640 times
Default Unit 37 block 7 Deming Ranchettes

Looking for anyone who may have information about unit 37 block 7 of the Deming Ranchettes. We purchased tract 20 back in 2005. I have sent for maps and neighbors contact info from Luna County assessors office as well as maps and anything which could help us find our property.

I have the little map we were sent when we purchased but everything is so small even with magnifying glass cannot read street names in our area. Saw it on satellite photos before we purchased and knew we were getting dry desert with little or no amenities. Not a problem for us. We are used to hauling water and living without electric (off grid, that is). Have lived that way in Alaska for many years.

Hoping to come through the area this winter and would like to see our property (or at least use Google Earth or something to see more current shots than we had before we bought it.)

Anyone out there have more info on unit 37 block 7 or have land for sale in the immediate area of it? Would not mind getting more if it is available.

Does anyone know if there is much trouble with snakes, scorpions or other nasties there in the winter? Everything that bites seems to find me and I react to almost all bites. Would appreciate knowing how and what to prepare for that way. Will be in a fifth wheel RV with Hubby and 2 large dogs.

Any and all info would be appreciated.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:43 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Look at the bottom of the page, there are 5 threads which have infor which should help...

Rich

Old 10-03-2009, 06:29 AM

1 posts, read 4,714 times
Smile Ranchette/sunland

We have 8 lots Block 19 Unit 122 Tracks 15,16,17,18,27,28,29 ansd 30.
Is this fools gold?

Old 10-23-2009, 08:50 PM

1 posts, read 5,351 times
Default any neighbors?

4 lots clustered together in unit 100 Deming Ranchettes

Old 11-02-2009, 11:10 PM

2 posts, read 10,266 times
wow. I read every page of this thread..and got quite an eyefull. Im from Olympia, WA and traded this property for my services. I own tract 1 in block 19 unit 30. I havent seen but one from 30...From what I've gathered it is above the flood zone. I took this property on as mostly novelty and almost gave it away for free until I finally did a little research.

Very interesting read...the land developed by some get quick rich scheme (may have worked out for them) started from a ranch to subdivided homes cleverly marketed...and now alot of retireees and inheritants are ready to do something with theses deming ranchettes.

I talked to the assessors office today as well as a local real estate agent before reading these posts and now feel bad for picking their brain on all the random topics you all have brought up. Seems like we are mostly all in the same boat..and all for different reasons.

I got the names of my adjacent owners and will be propositioning to them to sell or sell mine. Doesnt seem feasable to live in BFE and not have at least 2 acres. If you want a 1/2 acre stay where you are you cant do crap with that unless you are retired and living in a mobile home in which case you may be perfectly happy, but for someoene wanting to actually live...well you have to get creative.

and if not...ill buy yours. Who doesnt want acres of desert to call their own.?

Old 11-02-2009, 11:14 PM

2 posts, read 10,266 times
Default re

Oh, i have to add for prosperity sake...the first post was read over 19,000 times..lol. interesting..

Old 11-10-2009, 09:34 AM

4 posts, read 17,816 times
Default Deming Ranchettes Unit 82

My mother owns 2 tracts in block 19.

Zoomed in using google maps and it looks like unit 82 has more development than most of the other units. There is a house directly across the street in block 20 from her two tracts so that is probably a good indication that her road (Warm Springs) is maintained and that utilities are nearby. I also noticed that some of the other adjacent blocks also have 1-2 houses each on them.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:28 AM

2 posts, read 6,609 times
Read Ordinance 37 before purchasing ANY unimproved property, less than 2 acres "net" in Luna County. After this Ordinance was placed in effect you could not give those parcels away... Caveat Emptor, Let the buyer beware, my friend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico