Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2006, 02:59 PM

3 posts, read 58,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

No Advertising Properties In This Forum!

I am writing to you to share some ideas in regards to new ordinances that Luna County has enacted as of July 2006.

Recently I discovered that the property I had purchased in Deming Ranchettes was no longer buildable due to the change in Ordinance 37 which Luna County approved in July 2006. This ordinance requires a minimum of 2 acres for development. This leaves hundreds, if not thousands, of land owners with properties that they cannot develop without greatly increased costs. As a lower income woman I was naturally upset, but I am the type of person who looks for solutions instead of getting stuck as a victim.

The only solution is for property owners to work together on this so that it is a win-win situation for everybody. Please feel free to share your ideas or comments. My property is located in Unit 30 on Acoma street.

Property owners have the following options:

1) sell to the owners next to them so they acquire the two acres;

2) buy from the owners next to them to acquire the two acres;

3) join forces with neighbors to build a duplex, triplex, or a quadriplex which opens up into everyone's backyard respectively. Well drilling costs and septic tank costs can be shared;

4) create an intentional community, or an ecovillage, with shared housing, transportation, work duties, organic gardens, etc;

5) build an apartment complex or house on the cental lot and split the profits of the sale or rental income between all owners.

Land can be swapped between neighbors who do not share the same goals, property development ideas, or lifestyle choices.

christine from california

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-24-2014 at 07:08 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2006, 11:32 PM

827 posts, read 5,079,405 times
RainforestTV, thank you so much for your vital post! I have warned people not to buy land sight unseen from unscrupulous dealers. Thanks for another insight into knowing thoroughly what you are getting yourself into before buying. Just make sure you REALLY investigate the land you buy. I seriously urge people to consult an independent qualified inspector to check the land out. Never buy from impulse. Never buy because a realtor says it is great or is hot property. Knowledge is power!

Old 11-15-2006, 08:11 AM

75 posts, read 410,096 times
You may have another option, but it is an unplesant one. Ordinances are legal only until they are challenged in court, i.e. any government entity can pass any law they want, but that doesn't make it "legal", it just means there hasn't been a protest yet.
If you can get enough property owners together to fund a legal/lawyer investigation you may be able to overturn this ordinance or "grandfather" everyone's property in under the previous law. You just need patience, a united front and some cash.

Old 11-17-2006, 05:04 PM

15 posts, read 150,981 times
Default Luna county Ordinance #37

You might want to check out the Luna county web page.

http://lunacountynm.us/index.html

Apparently, they are going to visit/revisit ordinance number 37 on December 1, when a public hearing is scheduled. You can download the ordinance in a PDF file from the county site.

Bob

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-05-2011 at 11:14 AM..

Old 11-17-2006, 05:12 PM

15 posts, read 150,981 times
Default I don't think THIS is the developer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerjack View Post
RainforestTV, thank you so much for your vital post! I have warned people not to buy land sight unseen from unscrupulous dealers. Thanks for another insight into knowing thoroughly what you are getting yourself into before buying. Just make sure you REALLY investigate the land you buy. I seriously urge people to consult an independent qualified inspector to check the land out. Never buy from impulse. Never buy because a realtor says it is great or is hot property. Knowledge is power!
There's been a lot of restrictive ordinances and regulations passed in New Mexico as to what you can and can not do on your own land, even if you've owned it for years. For instance, lots of people that own land in the mountains near here are discovering that if they want to build on it NOW, they will be required to install an "advanced" septic system that costs more than they paid for the piece of land.

Moderator cut: If you don't stop the political rhetoric, opinions, bashing etc your posts will be deleted

Bob

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 09-12-2014 at 12:12 PM..

Old 11-17-2006, 07:15 PM

3 posts, read 58,684 times
Default Ordinance revisited

Hey, thanks for the update. I'll keep my eye on that DEc 1(Ordinance 37) hearing. I hope the property owners win. I guess Gov.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 09-12-2014 at 12:13 PM..

Old 12-24-2006, 04:50 PM

4 posts, read 31,202 times
Question 2 acre or more for building?

You might want to check with planning comission. A contractor told be he could drill a well and put in septic for a 1 family home on 1 acre. My lots are on the corner of De Baca and Charlotta. Unit 19, block 8, lots 43, 44, and 45.
If the 2 acre deal is correct, then I will be looking to buy lot 42, and maybe 41.koony.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:50 AM

5 posts, read 51,416 times
Default Deming Ranchettes, Luna County.....

Hi, I purchased a lot in the Deming Ranchettes subdivision of Luna County about 5 yrs ago. I have never been there, have never even seen the area.

I was hoping that someone here might also own land in this area.... Unit 77? that could share information with me. Do I own a good thing? Or are these useless pieces of property?

Old 01-12-2007, 08:52 AM

182 posts, read 707,968 times
I don't know the answer to your questions, but living in El Paso -- not too far from Deming (75 miles or so?) -- I could take a trip out there and find out, and take some pics of your lot, too...if I can locate #77 that is.

-- John D.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:17 AM

5 posts, read 51,416 times
I truly appreciate your offer, but 75 miles is quite a distance. I believe I have decided to sell, so I am now researching other lots that are selling in the area, and will probably list / advertise the property soon.

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico