Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 04:00 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,080 times

Advertisements

I need to spread rep around before I can give more to Cathy also. Great post girlfriend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 04:21 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,290,269 times
Rep for Cathy when I get some spread around.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:33 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,028,666 times
Man. Cathy is on a roll!!!

Old 03-08-2009, 04:54 PM

390 posts, read 952,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Im not a city-slicker, can you not read?

First off, owning livestock in rattlesnake country is a risk YOU have taken. Would you complain if you planted marijuana crops in Tijuana and lost some of your precious weed to the drug cartels, too?

And no, I dont have control over how people protect their property, but the goverment sure does. Go ahead and kill snakes by shooting them, but your stupid bullets are more dangerous than any snake. Recklessly discharging a firearm at an animal is a HUGE risk, especially if you have neighbors nearby. And should you happen to shoot a snake that is protected and youre caught, youll be fined heavily.
Neighbors near by? You have no knowledge of the area or New Mexico in general. Why are you on this site? I'm 4 hours away from medical care at best. Come on out and live the life. Your knowledge is very limited city boy.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:15 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
To all:

Thanks for the kind comments. As one who grew up in ranching country in West Texas...and saw rattlesnakes, copperheads, water moccasins, scorpions, centipedes, black widows, brown recluses and other venomous creepy-crawlies, I have no love for any of these.

People who have grown up with such....and have seen the incredible destruction that they can wreak on people, pets and livestock--including death--learn to keep their distance--or kill when such invade private space!

It's obvious that Steve-o has no idea what it is like to deal with these in his near environment, and has not had any pets/livestock lost to same. While I have not personally suffered any losses yet, I have seen it often enough with family/friends that preventive measures are the best. Seeing a poor dog that has been bitten is NOT fun....ditto livestock. It breaks my heart to remember.

The fact that he has to come down here or go elsewhere to find such speaks volumes. He doesn't deal with it on a daily basis. If he wants to love snakes, that's all fine and good. They do have their place in the natural order of things.

While I don't kill anything that is not on my property, I well understand those who do.

I don't usually read his posts, as I got sick of the intolerance for anybody who doesn't agree with him. I wouldn't have seen what he wrote except that Pipeweld quoted.

Last edited by Cathy4017; 03-08-2009 at 05:45 PM..

Old 03-08-2009, 08:05 PM

I would feel guilty if i was to let a Rattler go and find out that some kid down the Street was bit. To try to handle a live rattler can be dangerous so the Shovel is my preference for any Rattler ...

But Steve-o neither knows nor appreciates the damage that rattlers or other venomous snakes can do...and that is where the problem comes in.

If he had to live where they are prevalent, he would change his mind in a heartbeat. But since he lives in Chicago--where he won't come into contact with such--he is safe from a distance..and so feels free to tell those of us who aren't how to live our lives.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:17 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
But Steve-o neither knows nor appreciates the damage that rattlers or other venomous snakes can do...and that is where the problem comes in.
Actually I think he does know. But he assigns such importance to snakes and insects that the relative danger to humans is irrelevant. In short, he is totally indifferent to the risk to humans and domesticated animals.

Besides, it gives him something to post about that will cause an argument where he can preach his anti-humanity message........He really should move out of Illinois into Kansas. He could find a kindred spirit or two at the Westboro Baptist Church.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Actually I think he does know. But he assigns such importance to snakes and insects that the relative danger to humans is irrelevant. In short, he is totally indifferent to the risk to humans and domesticated animals.
I guess that is a real possibility. I bet if he had to live with it on a daily basis, he might wise up.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:25 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
LOL.......bet he wouldn't.........I bet he gets the same reaction from his acquaintances in Chicago that he gets from us. That is why he is on here so often........he is a lonely lonely person....I suppose we should have pity on him.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:27 PM

405 posts, read 1,335,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeweld View Post
Steve, I have no doubt these are your photos. They probably really impress your herpes friends. And I have no doubt on the hundreds of hours you have spent looking through our desert so you could take them.
But, I am NOT impressed! These are creatures we see on a regular basis. The hundreds of hours you have spent in this desert is about two weeks of my time living,working and playing here. They impress me no more than a Lambergini in Chicago. Something you may not see everyday, but not unusual either. You are right thought I can not call them all by their Latin names. But then again a pig by any other name is still a pig.

I must disagree with your comment for scientific reasons. There is a point to the specific epithet given to these creatures. In lamens terms, that is the genus and species of the creature put together to form the latin name, or specific epithet. Obviously this form of classification has a point..otherwise..why bother? These two terms put together gives us biologys buffs an idea of the ancestry/heritage these animals have faced over time. Many people, including absolutely anyone with a biology/ecology/zoology etc degree, have spent hours upon hours learning these names, and committing them to memory in order to properly classify new and already discovered species by lineage.
You may not appreciate, understand, or give a dang about anything realted to biology. But understand we all care about and focus on differnt things in life..and this happens to be something Steve-o and I are passionate about. You? Maybe not so much...but that leaves more for him, me, and our fellow colleagues to discover and enjoy!

Steve-o, I happen to appreciate your photos greatly. Do you happen to have a photo of a Brown Recluse (Loxosceles reclusa) ? Also..what type of camera do you use? Great photos!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico