Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 09:09 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,532,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeful transplant View Post
Steve-o Aren't you the guy that keeps saying all of these 'critters' only harm people when they are threatened?
Most of the time, yes. Many bite when frightened, too. My point was that if a rattler comes into a party, 99% of the people would be up a tree faster than you can say "tree".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 09:25 PM

215 posts, read 653,236 times
good luck finding a tree... Isn't it past your bedtime??

Old 03-05-2009, 10:18 PM

7,525 posts, read 17,023,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Meh. I simply invite some of these "tough" internet folks to come spend some time with me in NM next time Im down there. See how "tough" they are when it comes time to get down and dirty with scorpions, giant centipedes, rattlers and tarantulas.

Im just warning some of you though... when that first 10" angry centipede comes shooting out at your hand from under a rock, it might cause some of your PaceMakers to fail. Or if youre lucky, youll only fill up your Depends. If one starts running up your leg, you guys can simply use your canes or walkers to swipe it away.
Wow, guess I better start paying attention when I'm out hiking and hunting rattlers........thanks Steve, I've only lived and hunted and worked in the deserts and mountains and plains of Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico and Colorado for barely 60 years. I remember the biology teacher from back east back in 65 that wanted a local display/terrarium.......she wanted all the local plants and animals brought in so we could understand a little of what we were surrounded with. The first day she had it set up, her students brought in a centipede, two sidewinders, several tarantulas, half a dozen black widows, and a vinegarone.....every kid there not only knew what they were, they knew where to find them......see, that is one way of protecting yourself....you know what lives where and you respect their turf. So maybe the folks you hang with would fill their depends when you spooked a rattler, most of us would simply shake our heads at the tenderfoot who didn't know any better.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:31 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,298,819 times
Living and working in the deserts of southern AZ and NM most of my life. I'm sure some INTERNET "tough guy" from Chicago is gonna teach me a whole lot about my back yard.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:59 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,380,411 times
Only some city slicker would be dumb enough to stick their hand under a rock looking for a centipede, or any other critter.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:30 PM

7,525 posts, read 17,023,847 times
Steve, with all due respect? How about joining me this year for dinner? Okeene Diamondback Rattlesnake Hunt will be having a selection of smoked, fried, and baked meat, and you can tell all of us how we should treat these poor little things.........I'll post the date just as soon as I get it, ok? I know you can tell us a thing or two about these animals......just about everybody there wears depends.....unless they wear huggies......which do you prefer?

Old 03-06-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Wow, guess I better start paying attention when I'm out hiking and hunting rattlers........thanks Steve, I've only lived and hunted and worked in the deserts and mountains and plains of Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico and Colorado for barely 60 years. I remember the biology teacher from back east back in 65 that wanted a local display/terrarium.......she wanted all the local plants and animals brought in so we could understand a little of what we were surrounded with. The first day she had it set up, her students brought in a centipede, two sidewinders, several tarantulas, half a dozen black widows, and a vinegarone.....every kid there not only knew what they were, they knew where to find them......see, that is one way of protecting yourself....you know what lives where and you respect their turf. So maybe the folks you hang with would fill their depends when you spooked a rattler, most of us would simply shake our heads at the tenderfoot who didn't know any better.
How old were her "students"? I highly doubt a school would allow highly venomous snakes and spiders brought in to a classroom. And I sure hope she taught them how to spell "vinegaroon" correctly. Sorry, but I call BS on that story.

And while you say you'd shake your heads at the "tenderfoot" who didnt know better, that would be 95% of the people that post on these boards. Have you seen the other threads pertaining to venomous critters? These are your neighbors who dont know a thing about wildlife in NM, and prefer to kill wildlife than have it relocated. So yes, instead of dealing with the issue at hand, professionally, they prefer to maim.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _yb View Post
Living and working in the deserts of southern AZ and NM most of my life. I'm sure some INTERNET "tough guy" from Chicago is gonna teach me a whole lot about my back yard.
Soooo, I guess if you were into flora, you couldnt tell me about the wildflowers in my yard just because you're from NM?

Thats how ridiculous you sound.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Only some city slicker would be dumb enough to stick their hand under a rock looking for a centipede, or any other critter.
I dont stick my hands under rocks. When I flip rocks I use a tool to do so, and the #1 cardinal rule is you roll the rock TOWARDS you. And yes, sometimes when you do that, there are critters clinging to the underside of them and they often freak out when exposed to the sun and make haste to find shelter (which often includes running towards you).

And Im hardly a "city slicker", sweetheart.

Oh, speaking of rocks, how many people have flipped the one you live under? Just curious....

I can be mean, too. See?

Old 03-06-2009, 10:55 PM

405 posts, read 1,337,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I dont stick my hands under rocks. When I flip rocks I use a tool to do so, and the #1 cardinal rule is you roll the rock TOWARDS you. And yes, sometimes when you do that, there are critters clinging to the underside of them and they often freak out when exposed to the sun and make haste to find shelter (which often includes running towards you).

And Im hardly a "city slicker", sweetheart.

Oh, speaking of rocks, how many people have flipped the one you live under? Just curious....

I can be mean, too. See?

Ohhhhhh. Point- Steve-o. You guys make me giggle! Ya know this is just gonna get shut down like the other ones, right? But..isn't that half the fun? lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico