Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 01:52 PM

7 posts, read 19,225 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 5 (oldest in college, 2 about to be in H.S.) and hope to add to it. We also have 5 dogs and a cat, so we are not subdivision types...my questions/needs:

1) Is it possible to find a house with at least 2-5 acres that is close to good schools? I keep seeing Los Alamos mentioned here for the schools, but a real estate search shows small lots there.

Madrid/Cerillos and Rio Rancho descriptions mentioned here sound good, but what about the shools/lot sizes there?

2) We currenly own a cabin rental business here in AK and hope to sell and buy/build something similar there (casitas or B&B), so we need tourism.

3) I am petrified of snakes (especially poisinous ones) Am I crazy to consider NM? Even if we find 2-5 acres am I going to be able to let my dogs out to play without them getting killed by a rattler?

Tentatively yours,

AlaskaMom1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 02:33 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Hi Alaska Mom....there are Rattlers everywhere in the state and the other southwestern states as they are a part of life. However it's very rare to run into them. People here hike and camp and motor cross in the deserts and mountains and grass plains and canyons etc...and yet i never hear of anyone getting bit by an Rattler. I'd worry more about the Hanta Virus from Deer Mice than Ratters. Stay out of Auto Junyards and you should be fine

Since your from Alaska and want a great school district then research the town of Cloudcroft as it's up in the mountains in southern New Mexico with Pine Trees all around and plenty of room for your dogs and is one of the best school districts in New Mexico.

Cloudcroft New Mexico Official Website, Chamber of Commerce Website

6/3

Old 04-22-2008, 02:34 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskamom1 View Post
3) I am petrified of snakes (especially poisinous ones) Am I crazy to consider NM? Even if we find 2-5 acres am I going to be able to let my dogs out to play without them getting killed by a rattler?
First off, no snakes are poisonous, theyre venomous. Just had to clear that up. Secondly, yes, NM has several species of rattlesnakes. Theyre very common in areas, not so much in others. You have to remember, you live in the desert, its always a good idea to walk slowly and keep your eyes peeled. Rattlesnakes are very cryptic, they blend in extremely well with their environments, making them very diffucult to spot. Ive inadvertantly stood next to some and didnt even notice them until they moved. Anyways, theyre shy creatures, wanting NOTHING to do with you. 9 times out of 10 they will turn and go the other way rather than confront. Most bites occur to those who harass the snakes or try and handle them. Theres nothing to be afraid of, they wont chase you or hunt you down.

There are some rules to abide by when living in areas with rattlesnakes:

1. Dont step over logs or rocks. Theyre prime spots for rattlers to lie in wait for prey.

2. Dont put your hands or feet where you cant see them.

3. Walk with a flashlight at night.

4. Invest in a nice pair of snake chaps/gaitors/boots. I have a pair I wear religiously when out in NM and AZ. Thank goodness I havent had to test how "100% snakebite proof" they are yet, but its a piece of mind too.

5. If youre bit, stay calm and call for medical help. Many rattlesnake bites are "dry", meaning no venom was injected. Local hospitals should have anti-venin on hand for envenomations, but you should check with your local hospitals to make sure theyre stocked anyways.

You should also take the time to learn a little about rattlesnakes and how important they are in the ecosystem. Google "Crotalidae" for all the info you can shake a stick at. And dont kill them when you see them, simply leave them be. If you find them in your yard, call animal control. They remove thousands of snakes every year from peoples' yards. Sorry I cant answer any of your other questions, I dont live in NM. But snakes are my thing, I love them and spend alot of time researching them and observing them in the wild. Great creatures that are sadly abused and misunderstood.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:50 PM

Steve....have you ever seen the Snakebite Freeze packets that i used to see at the Army Surplus stores. Supposedly if you ever got bitten you would apply these to the bite and it supposedly would slow down the Venom.....

We always used to carry those with us when we repealed the rock cliffs on the Franklin Mountains in El Paso when i was younger but we never seen one snake in that hard core desert area there.

6/3

Old 04-22-2008, 02:53 PM

7 posts, read 19,225 times
Thanks 6/3 80's 4ever...I will check out Cloudcroft...looks a little rural though, would that be safe to say? I would prefer to be within 20-30 minutes of shopping/activities/movies, and plenty of places to eat etc. we are coming from a VERY small town (about 2000 people in the winter) and are looking for a change of pace. I don't want my kids to be traumatized (like huge schools with major gang problems) but we ahve lived in bigger areas before and we all miss the lifestule. They were in an area with about 1000 kids in the H.S. and I would be ok with that if it was a good school.

As for the snakes, I just wondered more about the dogs being out if we had a few acres...would they be able to be unattended in a large (acre or more) yard?

6/3 your comments calmed me slightly about the snakes, then Steve-O got my gaurd up again with all the precautions he listed. Again, I am mainly concerned about the animals being outside...

I have never lived in the SW, but love it there and would like to think that I could overcome my fear.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:13 PM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
If you want access to shopping, activities, movies, etc, you'd be best served NOT considering Cloudcroft. When you factor in the cost of gas these days, in addition to the remoteness of Cloudcroft, you will be disappointed. That is not to say it's not a suitable place to live: for me, I'd move there in a heartbeat. However, you will be spending at least 30 minutes one way, probably closer to 45 minutes in the winter, just to get to Alamogordo, to find marginally passable shopping. And, you will be in need of several break jobs: it is a 1 mile climb from the foot of the Tularosa basin to Cloudcroft village. One of the best aspects of Cloudcroft is the school district: it's rated second in the state behind Los Alamos.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks 6/3 80's 4ever...I will check out Cloudcroft...looks a little rural though, would that be safe to say?
Yes you are correct and my apologies. I guess i was putting together in my mind Alaska and Los Alamos and best schools in NM so that's where i got Cloudcroft. Lets see what others say to try to help you out.

Yeap again i really wouldn't worry about Rattlers for you or your pets as it's rare to ever hear of anyone or their pets getting bit. The only place i would ever worry about is the Auto Junk Yards which i don't go to anymore since i was a teen in the 80's for my Chevy Nova back then .

6/3

Old 04-22-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Steve....have you ever seen the Snakebite Freeze packets that i used to see at the Army Surplus stores. Supposedly if you ever got bitten you would apply these to the bite and it supposedly would slow down the Venom.....

We always used to carry those with us when we repealed the rock cliffs on the Franklin Mountains in El Paso when i was younger but we never seen one snake in that hard core desert area there.

6/3
Ive heard of them, but have never seen one in person. I cant say that they work or not, havent read any reviews. There are many products out there that claim to help in the event of a snakebite, but most (if not all) products are shot down by snakebite experts (ie Dr. Sean Bush). Some kits even have a tourniquet in them, which is a BIG NO-NO to use in the event of an envenomation.

Several things to NOT do in the event of a venomous snakebite:

1. Do NOT attempt to suck out the venom (yes, people try this).

2. Do NOT attempt to cut around the wound to bleed out the venom.

3. Do NOT apply a tourniquet.

4. Do NOT panic/run/etc.

5. Do NOT try and amputate the bitten extremity (it has happened before lol)

The best thing to do is remain calm, call for help immediately, keep the bitten extremity elevated above heart level (if applicable). Ive heard its ok to apply a splint and somewhat-restrictive bandaging, but Ive also heard not to do that. That recommendation seems split regarding personal opinions.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
6/3 your comments calmed me slightly about the snakes, then Steve-O got my gaurd up again with all the precautions he listed. Again, I am mainly concerned about the animals being outside...

I have never lived in the SW, but love it there and would like to think that I could overcome my fear.
There is really nothing to be afraid of whatsoever. Its a deep-seeded fear (ophidiophobia) that many possess, but cant really answer why theyre afraid of snakes. Spend some time learning about them, you may find yourself amazed like I am. I recommend visiting a rattlesnake museum (there are several in the SW states), see them up close, and learn about them.

Here is a site you might want to visit (just forgive their use of the term 'poisonous'):
New Mexico Snakes*—*recognizing the poisonous ones and controlling them around homes :Southern New Mexico Travel and Tourism Information

Old 04-22-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Ive heard of them, but have never seen one in person. I cant say that they work or not, havent read any reviews. There are many products out there that claim to help in the event of a snakebite, but most (if not all) products are shot down by snakebite experts (ie Dr. Sean Bush). Some kits even have a tourniquet in them, which is a BIG NO-NO to use in the event of an envenomation.

Good info and thanks !!!!

6/3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico