Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 08:53 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,329,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
LOL.......bet he wouldn't.........I bet he gets the same reaction from his acquaintances in Chicago that he gets from us. That is why he is on here so often........he is a lonely lonely person....I suppose we should have pity on him.
I sure don't like pissing contests. this thread went down hill fast. steve-o seems to have at best more knowledge of critters than an average street person does, so, I can't see why several users here on this thread are attacking him. your nasty comments are unwarranted and unwelcome. stick to the subject matter at hand. If I were a mod, I would delete some of the acidic comments posted. since we don't know of each others education levels or experience with animals/insects, I think it's best to try to keep an open mind. people will always have differences of opinions too. a moderator would ask users to discuss the subject at hand, and not launch personal attacks on each other.
if you all want to keep attacking other people, the thread will end up being shut down like most are which go south as this one has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 08:55 PM

7,525 posts, read 17,011,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
MY POINT IS THAT RATHER THAN KILL THEM YOU CAN HAVE THEM REMOVED EASILY.
Now your ignorance is showing. I recall a few years ago when a neighbor and his wife were arguing. We heard shots being fired so we called the Sheriffs dept. The dispatcher asked if it appeared anyone was hurt, and we said we didn't think so. so the dispatcher said they would send someone around the next morning.....no one ever showed up. Guess they figured that if no one showed up at the emergency room then they got it settled.

Now, do you think they are going to send an animal control officer 60 miles to get a snake that may not be where we saw it last? give me a break........no, You CANNOT have them removed easily, not even in Roswell, Las Cruces, Santa Fe or Albuquerque.

You are aware, of course, that most animal removal companies tend to talk about "relocation" and as soon as they are out of camera range, they kill the animal and dispose of the carcass? You know all those gators they take out of canals and swimming pools in Florida that get relocated? They get relocated into purses, boots, and gator jerky.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:56 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,902,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
The chances of developing problems from a brown recluse bite all depend on the individual. The number of bites vs the number of people severly affected by the cytotoxic venom are next to none. My nephew in Manhattan, KS was bit on the stomach. My SIL freaked out and called me right away and I ID'd the spider as a recluse. He was 100% fine and went to school that day w/o any issue other than a red lump that went away by the end of the school day.
And that is a chance I have no intention of taking. My gawd, Steve-o, you can't be serious.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:03 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,481,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I just don't understand your great love for venomous snakes, I guess.

They do have their place in nature, but when there are so many other snakes that eat the same rats and vermin---and are not a danger to livestock and pets.....why put up with the venomous when you don't have to? If I am out in the pastures and other places where they are found, they are left alone. That is where they belong, and they have their place there.

But when it is MY yard, and there is a danger to my pets, that is another story. I can tell you now that if one were ever to bite one of my dogs, I would not give a s*** from that point on. They'd be DEAD. What am I supposed to do, wait until Animal Control is back in the office Tue-Sat? I don't think so.

I have no problem with non-venomous....and actually enjoy them, since they are so beneficial and not harmful to me or my pets.
Yes, other snakes eat vermin. Besides the obvious, the rattlesnakes are just as prevalent as non-venomous snakes in many areas, and thus just as important in controlling pest populations as the non-venomous snakes.

I understand that when theyre in your yard, that you might not like it. But you need to remember, that theyre easily removed by either animal control or the local fire department, free of charge. These people are on the same wavelengths as I am. They sieze the snake, relocate it, end of story.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
And that is a chance I have no intention of taking. My gawd, Steve-o, you can't be serious.
Once again, what are you talking about? Im not suggesting you get bit, so why assume that? Once again, relocate, let them do what God intended them to do (kill disease-spreading cockroaches, mosquitos, etc).

Old 03-08-2009, 09:07 PM

405 posts, read 1,336,698 times
Quote:
Would you agree that any species listed as either endangered or threatened.....is much less common than one that is not listed as such?

Yes...but in a round about way. Take for example, the Burrowing Owl. During my time is SW Florida I spent a lot of time working with these birds. They are pretty neat. Now, they are endangered in Canada, Threatened in Mexico, but a "species of concern" in South Florida. And it seems that everywhere I go (wildlife areas, conservancies etc) there are pictures/postcards/photos of them...and everyone knows about them. So, I think their "common-ness" if you will depends on who/where.
So.. it really depends on where and what species you are talking about.
Another example, the Bald Eagle. I have worked with several over my wildlife career. These birds were on the endangered species list from 1967-95. Back home in ND... one saw these birds on what I would consider a regular basis..and they weren't even taken of the "threatened" list until 97.
On the other hand..I just saw my first Golden Eagle this year. These birds (which are a "protected species") have increased in numbers in the eastern portion of Northern America, yet decreased in numbers in the western portion.
Another fact to add to the trivia bank is that a species must be monitored for five consecuative years before being a candidate for removal from the endangered species list.
So..if you're looking for a short, non-scientific, non-explained answer you your question..I would say yes.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Now your ignorance is showing. I recall a few years ago when a neighbor and his wife were arguing. We heard shots being fired so we called the Sheriffs dept. The dispatcher asked if it appeared anyone was hurt, and we said we didn't think so. so the dispatcher said they would send someone around the next morning.....no one ever showed up. Guess they figured that if no one showed up at the emergency room then they got it settled.

Now, do you think they are going to send an animal control officer 60 miles to get a snake that may not be where we saw it last? give me a break........no, You CANNOT have them removed easily, not even in Roswell, Las Cruces, Santa Fe or Albuquerque.

You are aware, of course, that most animal removal companies tend to talk about "relocation" and as soon as they are out of camera range, they kill the animal and dispose of the carcass? You know all those gators they take out of canals and swimming pools in Florida that get relocated? They get relocated into purses, boots, and gator jerky.
Perhaps you should learn a thing or two from your fellow New Mexicans. Wow, looks so hard doesnt it?

YouTube - WOW!!! Relocation of Big Rattlesnake in New Mexico

Old 03-08-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:

I disagree. Just three weeks ago, my fellow collegues in South Florida who are employed by Fish and Wildlife pulled a gator out of a canal and released it to a safe area. Want to see the pictures?? They aren't pirated, either.
Furthermore, during my time in the field, many removal compaines will bring these animals to wildlife centers (as long as one is within the area) for proper care/release. It depends on the agency..I once had an agency drive two hours to bring me four orphaned racoons rather than kill them. Don't give all these agencies a bad name...some are very respectable.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:22 PM

Wow! I think this site says pretty much everything Steve-o and I have been trying to say since we've been walking!

Venomous Snake Relocators - US

Old 03-08-2009, 09:51 PM

7,525 posts, read 17,011,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischer_girl View Post
..I once had an agency drive two hours to bring me four orphaned racoons rather than kill them.
why? Raccoons are certainly not an endangered specie. At least in the Pawnee Nation we see a dead one every couple of miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
Don't give all these agencies a bad name...some are very respectable.
You re right. Not all agencies kill when the cameras are turned off. But like I said early on, where I live, if a copper head or moccasin or rattler is close to the house they are removed.....permanently. And despite the presumed "relocation" people someone seems to think exist everywhere, in my part of the country we have no animal control, the fire department is all volunteer and at work, and the Sheriffs dept is busy with speeders and meth labs.

And if people don't want to be teased and ridiculed, they need to not tease or ridicule. If you notice, I have not ridiculed or teased you. You express your opinions really well, you share your knowledge which is appreciated, and all of us, even the most bloodthirsty, live close to the land and we appreciate the animal rescue efforts you make. My partner was involved in the animal rescue effort for years. She was a program director of emergency rescue for an animal rescue group (International Fund for Animal Welfare or the IFAW). She spent 13 years on emergency animal rescue projects like Hurricane Andrew in Homestead Florida, the Kobe Japan earthquake, the wildfires in the Galapagos, and the Exxon Valdez. She flew high profile VIPS onto the ice in Nova Scotia during the seal hunts. So we are well aware of what is involved in animal rescue and appreciate your efforts.

What is not appreciated is some clown coming into our backyard telling us how we need to deal with those animals that pose a threat to our children, our grandchildren, our pets, and our livestock......all while telling us we would "fill your depends" if we were faced with a centipede or rattler......when we have been dealing with them since we wore short pants.

So while you and Steve may have many of the same perspectives on many things, you are not "on the same side." You are on the side of education and meaningful discussion.....he seems to be on the side of acrimony and insults. And the difference is significant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico