Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 12:57 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,877,473 times

Advertisements

With stock tires, my speedo reads high especially above 60-70. A lot of cars will do this on purpose. That is to say, 75 on the speedo is more like 71-72.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 06:41 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,922,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
With stock tires, my speedo reads high especially above 60-70. A lot of cars will do this on purpose. That is to say, 75 on the speedo is more like 71-72.
I've heard that is a little more prevalent on German cars. In my Audi A4, the speedo always shows a few mph above what I'm actually travelling. I've compared the speedo to a GPS reading to compare.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:18 AM

58 posts, read 172,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
Um, in a Murano you COULD go that fast. It is easy. The think is high off the ground and makes you feel like you are going slower.

Also, "Off by 1/2 mile"?? You mean MPH maybe? And how often doe that happen? That 17 "mile" numner you came up with is just weird.

Also, your speedometer is calibrated to a certain tire size, if you change tire sizes (go from 15" to 17" rims, and slightly larger tires to boot) you could be looking at slower speeds on your speedometer than you are really going.

I THINK that is what you were saying there, but you never know.....
HAHAHAHA yeah you are funny..ok let make myself clearer..
the lawyer said the laser or whatever that is, loses a 1/2 mph every time that points..He said that by the end of shift if assumed that the laser gun was used 30 time will come up with wrong speed 15-17 miles more that the actual speed the upcoming car is running..
What do you think..got it?? I never heard of this before so

Just for FYI I had not change any tire size..When I say Murano doesn't go that fast I compare it with Mercedes that I had or my husband"s Saab ..Those are really sport cars and can fly without getting the feeling...

And the judge wasn't surprised with my speeding numbers ..He said isn't even a record..hahahaha he had someone going with 148 mph on the same path..bad drivers...bad bad,,...

Anyway..let me make myself clear (again yesss)...
I was wrong and learned the lesson.
Any time you see a car going with 20 mph less than limit will be either an very old lady or me..

Old 10-14-2009, 09:41 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,129,265 times
Be careful of obstruction!!! (that is another rule you know, although I don't think anyone has ever been pulled over for it!!).

I think the oNLY way a laser could start going off is from SUBSEQUENT usages and the rod inside heating up, changing the length and in effect slightly changing the wavelength of the light itself (thus changing the dopler shift reading on the lights reflection.)

I do not think that the laser meters go b timing, at 186,000 miles a second, timing a light reflection would be exceedingly difficult, but a change in frequency might not. At least, that is how radar is done and they are both EM waves traveling at the same speed (LOOK OUT PHYSICS!!!!).

But having it get off by 0.5 after each clocking seems absolutely farsical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey