Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have a security system?
yes 43 52.44%
no 39 47.56%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 12:33 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,958,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golubika View Post
How much approximately would it cost to install security system to 3 story house 3,500 sq feet? Are we talking about thousand dollars here? I understand that there is a monthly fee but i am actually interested in just installation price and what it depends on?

Thank you
It's roughly a dollar a square foot for the initial installation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 12:34 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,958,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i sometimes worry that people may want to steal my dog. she is very uniquely beautiful (i wouldnt take her to questionable areas because of this). however, she is old enough now that if someone were to try to break in, im pretty sure she would attack them. she would also defend me and my wife with her life without hesitation. i would much rather use up a few bullets than lose my dog in an altercation. she is 35 pounds now, maybe 50 full grown. enough to deter your friend but she isnt going to win the fight against an adult male.
Someone tried to steal my dog WHILE I WAS WALKING HER when I lived in Philly. Right in Center City, which is supposed to be the nice safe part. She was a very fancy Shih Tzu. He picked her up off the street and said he was taking her home to his mama. I grabbed her back and just walked away fast.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:41 PM

29 posts, read 96,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
It's roughly a dollar a square foot for the initial installation.
Thank you, LuckyShoes

Old 08-19-2009, 12:47 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,768,542 times
Quote:
Someone tried to steal my dog WHILE I WAS WALKING HER when I lived in Philly. Right in Center City, which is supposed to be the nice safe part. She was a very fancy Shih Tzu. He picked her up off the street and said he was taking her home to his mama. I grabbed her back and just walked away fast.
thats crazy. when i would walk her as a puppy a couple people mentioned that idea that someone may want to steal her. i hadnt thought about that before then but its a scary thought.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:47 PM

18,483 posts, read 15,287,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
But "some kind of booger man mentality" is exactly what it is. Read the thread, and you'll see several posts which demonstrate precisely this mindset.
People aren't worried about "boogey men", so you can stop repeating the term over and over again. People are worried about burglars, who can be unpredictable enough as to be a possible danger to young children, especially if backed into a corner. If you have children, and there is an intruder in the house, you have to go under the assumption that they mean harm to your children until proven otherwise. Only an idiot would say "oh, Im sure these guys are just here to rob us. The kids are fine". As rare as this may be, if it were to happen, and a security system is something that you can easily afford, how would you, as a parent, ever be able to forgive yourself? Why would you NOT have one? I know several people who's houses were broken into in my town. I'm sure they wish they had alarms on at the time.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:37 PM

43 posts, read 139,913 times
I think so many people have alarm systems in NJ because it is relatively easy to get around from points of urban failure. The desperation to leave certain places due to worsening conditions makes people do crazy things and commit crimes. Many of the people in the densely populated poorer areas simply believe there is no better option. Virtually all the what I describe as "mid-level" communities have public transit to and from these locales.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:28 PM

7,222 posts, read 11,949,542 times
Security system....uh my dog and my DH and his guns.

We never even lock our doors, there's nothing worth stealing anyway.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:41 PM

18,483 posts, read 15,287,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiemobes View Post
I think so many people have alarm systems in NJ because it is relatively easy to get around from points of urban failure. The desperation to leave certain places due to worsening conditions makes people do crazy things and commit crimes. Many of the people in the densely populated poorer areas simply believe there is no better option. Virtually all the what I describe as "mid-level" communities have public transit to and from these locales.
I dont think many burglars are waiting at the bus stops, holding boxes of silverware and flat screen TV's from the houses they just robbed. LOL. They are driving into nice neighborhoods in cars that are probably stolen.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:12 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,419,766 times
I wanted to chime in on this.... I live in North Philly, and Wilmington, Delaware (alternating.) I check out Jersey every now and then. I tend to think, unless you have some kind of crazy valuables, the alarm is just peace of mind.

Growing up in the '90s in Wilmington, our rowhome was broken into about 4 times. Every time, we made noise, and they fell out the window, or our window was too small for them to fit into, and they gave up. By the time the cops came, they were usually long gone (8-10 minutes.)

My cousin lives in Camden County, NJ. He is a nut about his alarm. Stayed with him for a while. I forgot to set the alarm one day (like most people do 365 days a year,) and he freaked out, flipped out, as if I brought drug dealers and hookers into the house and started giving his stuff away.

I'm gonna say if it's gonna happen it's gonna happen. If I ever feel a need to use ADT, it's gonna be their SIGN, and window stickers - screw the alarm itself. Waste of money.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:49 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,282,681 times
Quote:
The danger isn't that the robbers want to steal your kids. Most don't, elford is right on that. The danger is getting caught in the middle of a robbery.

Good point on locks. If alarm systems are overkill, maybe locks are too? In fact, if you think about it, most window and door locks are a total joke, aren't they? Really, they are just there to make us think we are doing something to protect ourselves.

We should start leaving those open too, because we're just scared of boogeymen after all
Sure, if you're OK about having your place cleaned out, go without locks.

As far as personal safety goes, if they really do substantially reduce your all-cause mortality risk, go ahead and cough up some numbers that demonstrate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey