Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have a security system?
yes 43 52.44%
no 39 47.56%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 06:46 AM

5,537 posts, read 7,121,542 times

Advertisements

I've got one of these sirens hooked up to my alarm system. Some silly neighbors complain when I test it every night, though.

CHRYSLER SIREN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 12:37 AM

1 posts, read 695 times
Lightbulb Are you serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
This idea that a boogey man is going to break in and kill your kids is about as paranoid as it gets.

Of the kids I grew up with, I know of 6 untimely deaths -- 2 were suicides, one was a car accident, two were young kids who burnt in a house fire, and one died in a freak recreation accident.

If you're really worried about your kids, take care of the basics first (e.g. like installing an infant seat correctly as opposed to carrying a baby on your lap in the front of the car, etc), and make sure they grow up emotionally healthy.

So it really has nothing to do with peace of mind "if you have young children".

On the other hand, risk of having your place cleaned out is pretty high.

WOW. . I know this is an old post, but im wondering what the heck is wrong with this person's mind set? Has this person had children yet? Or even worse, did they have children when they posted this? Or maybe it was a child posting?

I just can't grasp why ANYONE, parent or not, would even find this thought process acceptable!

How is having your belongings stolen more important than protecting a child's life? Being cautious with the precious life you've been given to care for? Or any life for that matter?

And 6 untimely child deaths is A LOT! 2 of which could have been prevented with an alarm system! Actually 4 could possibly have been prevented if there were video surveillance or motion detectors to catch the suicides in attempt. . This is just crazy

Reality is that children ARE taken, and if a thief does get in and for whatever reason gets scared, startled or is just already messed up in the head which is why he's in the situation he's in, in the first place(ie. Robbing/invading your home) and sees a person, child or not, if he's got a weapon, he'll use it.

It's not paranoia is called being responsible and protecting your family, ensuring your family and you have a sense of security and know they are safe. It's paranoia and irresponsibility to not take preventive measures to protect your family and home etc. from the unthinkable and instead have loaded guns sitting around.

Sadly, once it happens, it happens, there's no going back, you can replace a TV, computer or radio, you cannot replace a life! Why take the risk of being the 1 out of 6 homes that gets broken into? (Or whatever the ratio is)

Pffttt, some people just need to think! Be safe everyone. ..

Old 08-05-2015, 10:33 AM

2,761 posts, read 3,432,143 times
We always had an aggressive breed dog. Our neighbors also have dogs. In case of intruder, all the dogs in the area start barking as a chain reaction. That's besides being surprised by 90 lb pit-bull. or 2 German Sheppard in the case of next door neighbor. Or 2 rottweilers in the case of another neighbor. I am not sure the breed neighbor across the street has, but the big guy is about 90-100 lbs..

Old 08-06-2015, 01:14 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,406,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
We always had an aggressive breed dog. Our neighbors also have dogs. In case of intruder, all the dogs in the area start barking as a chain reaction. That's besides being surprised by 90 lb pit-bull. or 2 German Sheppard in the case of next door neighbor. Or 2 rottweilers in the case of another neighbor. I am not sure the breed neighbor across the street has, but the big guy is about 90-100 lbs..
It's a fair point. I read an article recently showing that owing a dog of any size (even a chihuahua) reduces the chance of your home being broken into by something like 90%. It's the barking.

I have a dog and he definitely barks if anyone touches the door, but in fairness he has waaaaay more false alarms than any alarm system. The mailman, the dog next door, the neighbor putting out garbage cans- all these things set my dog off but wouldn't set off an alarm system. Still worth it though- he's much cuter than an ADT panel

Old 08-06-2015, 07:34 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,432,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
It's a fair point. I read an article recently showing that owing a dog of any size (even a chihuahua) reduces the chance of your home being broken into by something like 90%. It's the barking.

I have a dog and he definitely barks if anyone touches the door, but in fairness he has waaaaay more false alarms than any alarm system. The mailman, the dog next door, the neighbor putting out garbage cans- all these things set my dog off but wouldn't set off an alarm system. Still worth it though- he's much cuter than an ADT panel
Dogs are awesome all around Men's best friend !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey