Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have a security system?
yes 43 52.44%
no 39 47.56%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 07:50 PM

33,065 posts, read 36,721,129 times

Advertisements

Isn't that why we have the Pine Barrens - to dump bodies? They do it on TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
AND if you do kill them, drag them back into the house and into your bedroom. Also make sure to put some weapon near the body and claim its theirs, and you'll still probably end up doing some time. Gotta love the libs on gun control!!!! not! I keep a similar type of deterrant handy and would not mind doing time (if it came to that). If im on the property, someone would be seriously risking their lives to even THINK about doing anything to my family.

Homeowners insurance can replace anything in the house that they could steal. If I did get one, it would be more so for a panic button for my MIL or if something were to happen while no-one was home such as fire.

Captain... sawed off shotgun with a pistol grip makes a MUCH bigger hole. Im not recommending (cause their illegal and all)...im just saying... ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 08:11 PM

312 posts, read 1,167,816 times
I live in what is supposed to be a safe, quiet neighborhood and a house on our block was recently robbed. No one was home during the day. The burglars took their time and cleaned out the whole house. An alarm system would have prevented this.

We had a system installed when we built our house and we set it when we go to bed and when we leave the house. When we first moved in the alarm went off by accident and the police showed up within 5 minutes. How can anyone think that an alarm system is not useful? Nowadays in addition to just the doors and window sensors, they have glass break sensors, and motion sensors. The best feature is the stay mode. If anyone opens a door or window, or breaks any of the windows the alarm will go off. If you have young children how can you not want that peace of mind?

Old 08-10-2009, 09:05 PM

4,289 posts, read 10,817,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artDDS View Post
I live in what is supposed to be a safe, quiet neighborhood and a house on our block was recently robbed. No one was home during the day. The burglars took their time and cleaned out the whole house. An alarm system would have prevented this.

We had a system installed when we built our house and we set it when we go to bed and when we leave the house. When we first moved in the alarm went off by accident and the police showed up within 5 minutes. How can anyone think that an alarm system is not useful? Nowadays in addition to just the doors and window sensors, they have glass break sensors, and motion sensors. The best feature is the stay mode. If anyone opens a door or window, or breaks any of the windows the alarm will go off. If you have young children how can you not want that peace of mind?
Is that any way to live? I mean really.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:12 AM

825 posts, read 3,169,952 times
You get a discount on your homeowners insurance if you get a system installed. That's the only reason why we activated ours, otherwise a baseball bat would've done just fine.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:44 AM

31,769 posts, read 40,908,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Is that any way to live? I mean really.
what does that mean? its not a significant inconvenience for the protection it provides.

i live in a very safe area but someone did break into my house. they actually broke in while we were home. every since that happened, we set the alarm to beep whenever a door or window opened. if that situation were repeated today, someone would end up full of 45 caliber hollow points.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:38 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,782,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STrapani1105 View Post
You get a discount on your homeowners insurance if you get a system installed. That's the only reason why we activated ours....
How big of a discount do you get? I mean, my ins is only $600 year for what I feel is more coverage than I need. $30-$40/month + system fee + installation im sure would be more than $600. So whats a piddly little savings on ins in the grand scheme?

Old 08-11-2009, 09:49 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,205,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i live in a very safe area but someone did break into my house. they actually broke in while we were home. every since that happened, we set the alarm to beep whenever a door or window opened. if that situation were repeated today, someone would end up full of 45 caliber hollow points.
You don't need to pay the monthly fee for the door chime to work (or the audible alarm). We keep our door chime on too, and we never paid a dime.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:16 AM

31,769 posts, read 40,908,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
You don't need to pay the monthly fee for the door chime to work (or the audible alarm). We keep our door chime on too, and we never paid a dime.
im not sure what the monthly fee is as i have never paid it for my own home. im currently living in my dad's house and he pays the fee. my parents have 3 houses each and they all have alarm service. it just seems like a no brainer that if someone breaks into your home while you are away, you would want the police called. otherwise, you are basically giving a criminal freedom to steal anything they want from your home and they can take as much time as they please.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:47 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,295,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artDDS View Post

This idea that a boogey man is going to break in and kill your kids is about as paranoid as it gets.

Of the kids I grew up with, I know of 6 untimely deaths -- 2 were suicides, one was a car accident, two were young kids who burnt in a house fire, and one died in a freak recreation accident.

If you're really worried about your kids, take care of the basics first (e.g. like installing an infant seat correctly as opposed to carrying a baby on your lap in the front of the car, etc), and make sure they grow up emotionally healthy.

So it really has nothing to do with peace of mind "if you have young children".

On the other hand, risk of having your place cleaned out is pretty high.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:54 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,205,214 times
Everyone's situation is going to be different. If a burglar broke into my home they would be pretty disappointed. No cash, no jewelery, not really anything of significant value. Sure they might take my 3 lcd tv's, but that's what homeowner's insurance is for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey